Scotland Olympics????

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
Forum Member
Since Glasgow and Scotland held a fantastic Commonwealth Games, which I seem to have withdrawal symptoms about as i only live about 45 minutes to an hour away from the venues. Do you think if Scotland becomes independent, Scotland might get a chance to host the main Olympics. My mum says she doesn't think so as there are not enough venues for it all but in Glasgow you have Hampden, Celtic Park, Ibrox, all other Glasgow based football and rugby clubs and in Edinburgh you have Murrayfield, Hearts and Hibs home ground and all other Edinburgh based stadiums and pools etc.

So I don't see why Scotland cant hold the main Olympics in the future.

Any opinions?

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Does Scotland have about £9billion spare?

Where will independent Scotland get that money?
    Even if they stay part of the UK the government wouldn't spend that much again even if the IOC awarded it to the UK again.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They would need an even bigger Olympic stadium though : the likes of Murrayfield and Celtic Park are just not big enough.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the winters there was a sugestion of a joint bid SCO/NOR for the winter olympics, which could be feasable if SCO hosted the indoor sports and NOR the outdoor!

Presume the athlete's village would be on an oil rig half way between the two! But, seriously, if there were a shortage of bidders it might just be the job!
  • Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Where to start. No tennis courts to speak of, no canoe course, no equestrian, not enough football stadiums, an athletics stadium that would need to be double (at least) that of Hampden Park, nowhere to put a village and not enough hotels to deal with all the spectators.

There is no chance of an Olympics in Scotland it's just too small.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's be realistic. Absolutely no chance. Scotland is too small for a modern Olympics and our weather doesn't make the grade either. Let's be happy with the Commonwealth Games once every generation.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glasgow has looked at the Youth Olympics, that has 28 sports only had 18 sports at Commonwealth Games,

Also has looked at the European Games, but has gone cold on 2019. might have to wait to 2027, but if the 2036 Olympics (at a guess) are in Europe expect big bids for European Games 2027 as they want to showcase to IOC. So withdrawing 2019, I will guess 2035 European Games. Baku 2015 has 19 sports, London 2012 had 26, Rio 28, so European Games could be from 19 to 30 sports in 2035.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as long as there is no bagpipes I dont see why Glasgo cant hold the olympics
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glasgow has looked at the Youth Olympics, that has 28 sports only had 18 sports at Commonwealth Games,

Also has looked at the European Games, but has gone cold on 2019. might have to wait to 2027, but if the 2036 Olympics (at a guess) are in Europe expect big bids for European Games 2027 as they want to showcase to IOC. So withdrawing 2019, I will guess 2035 European Games. Baku 2015 has 19 sports, London 2012 had 26, Rio 28, so European Games could be from 19 to 30 sports in 2035.

No reason why they can't host the Commonwealths again, and Hampden could easily accommodate the Euro or World athletics.

Most likey is (another?) joint bid for the football Euros, either with Ireland or Wales. Personally I'd like to see European and/or World Hockey cups in the hockey arena, the stand and pitch are permanent (as opposed to London's Olympic arena!) and with three sides of temproary seating there's plenty of seats.

And the pitch doesn't need watering artificially!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hasn't London moved the Hockey to the Paralympic Tennis centre?
    For TV I think Londons Blue pitch was better.
    Also it has the 2015 Men and Womens European Championship, and 2018 Womens World Cup.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Just thought if Scotland are independent we will become one of the worlds wealthiest countries, in exports, so could we not get these companies to give extra money and donate money towards the Olympics or something like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasn't London moved the Hockey to the Paralympic Tennis centre?
    For TV I think Londons Blue pitch was better.
    Also it has the 2015 Men and Womens European Championship, and 2018 Womens World Cup.
    The hockey centre has moved but it's still within the Olympic Park, and still has the dark-blue pitch. Adjacent is the tennis centre.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Just thought if Scotland are independent we will become one of the worlds wealthiest countries, in exports, so could we not get these companies to give extra money and donate money towards the Olympics or something like that.
    You need a world city to get the votes to host the games. That's why the Birmingham bid failed but the London bid succeeded.
    Rio won 2016. Tokyo won 2020. Big cities and a few Glasgow sized (including metro area) are planning to bid for the 2024 and 2028 games but it will be the prestigious world cities that will win. They give the IOC more credibility.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

(expanding on what Mandark said) You need to ideally be a Alpha city to hold the Olympics these days. However (like Rio de Janeiro) you can get it if you have are a good level Beta city.

Glasgow is a Gamma, significant but not big enough as things stand!
  • Corkhead.Corkhead. Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    I think the OP is getting a little carried away in the excitement of the moment.

Sure.... if they have umpteen billion sloshing around doing nothing and would be willing to spend it on new stadiums which would come up to the standard required by the IOC, not to mention the improved infrastructure to the host city and even competing in the bidding process against other alpha cities.

The Commonwealth Games was awarded to Glasgow by a the CG Committee who were well disposed towards Scotland. There was not a lot of really determined opposition and indeed, after the farrago of 1986, it was felt that the Scots had been hard done to back then and deserved another chance..... and in my opinion, that's fair enough.

A bid for the Olympics would be subjected to somewhat more determined challenges from other bid nations. You want to get involved in a hard fought, and very expensive bidding war with them..? Go ahead, but just as long as you've got your independence first and your spending your own money, not British taxpayers.

The IOC are not likely to be impressed by venues such as Hampden Park. Again, it is OK for a relatively small tournament such as the CG, but I doubt the IOC would be impressed. Crikey... there wasn't even a rowing competition at the CG. Where would that be held..? On Loch Lomond..? I think the IOC would (pun intended) laugh that out of the water.

And then there are the logistics of managing the Olympics. Glasgow's ability to accommodate the fans for the CG's were adequate, but how would they cope with the influx of fans for the Olympics. Does the hotel accommodation exist for that many people..? Without the BBC, how would Scottish television provide the facilities demanded by the Olympic Broadcasting Service..?

A Glasgow Olympics is a nice pipedream but when you consider all the realities, you soon come bumping back down to earth.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps it could be done. But it'll be expensive..... verrrrrrrrrrrrry expensive....... and the bid has, at best, a remote chance of success.

Good luck.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

(expanding on what Mandark said) You need to ideally be a Alpha city to hold the Olympics these days. However (like Rio de Janeiro) you can get it if you have are a good level Beta city.

Glasgow is a Gamma, significant but not big enough as things stand!

2020 Tokyo Alpha +
    2016 Rio Beta (see why it is classed as risky)
    2012 London Alpha ++
    2008 Beijing Alpha +
    2004 Athens Beta + (and still suffering it seems)
    2000 Sydney Alpha +
    1996 Atlanta Alpha -
    1992 Barcelona Alpha -
    1988 Seoul Alpha -
    1984 Los Angeles Alpha
    1980 Moscow Alpha
    1976 Montreal Beta +
    1972 Munich Alpha -

So does seem that the IOC requirements for a host are found in the Alpha cities.
    Manchester is only Beta
    Birmingham is Beta -
    Edinburgh Beta -
    Dublin Alpha -

Anyone up for a trip across the Irish Sea?
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Shaun, Shaun, Shaun. Forget the idea. Scotland will never in yours or my lifetime have even a sniff of hosting the Olympic Games. The whole budget of Glasgow was less than it has cost to dismantle the facilities in Stratford. Nice dream.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Not likely - sadly Glasgow and Edinburgh aren't places IOC members want to spend two weeks in in the summer.

Here are the current candidates for 2024 - Washington, Boston, Rome, Paris, Berlin Durban, Istanbul,. St Petersburg, Casablanca? Would you pick Glasgow over glamorous cities/beautiful coastal towns like those?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Summer_Olympics
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edinburgh is an 18th century city, with 18th century roads.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glasgow did a fantastic job and its infrastructure just about coped with the CG, but an Olympics is at least 4 times the size in scale. Even a joint bid by Glasgow and Edinburgh wouldn't be up to the job.
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    No chance, absolutely none at all. More reasons than its possible to list but as a starter

The whole rotation thing meaning there is likely to 7 or 8 more European Summer Games this century, with a significant number of bigger, and more capable hosts than Glasgow/Edinburgh. And the money. And the scale of the size of the cities. And the rather major point that it was made clear the only city that would be able to win the Summer Games in the UK was London, it simply wont happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »
    No chance, absolutely none at all. More reasons than its possible to list but as a starter

The whole rotation thing meaning there is likely to 7 or 8 more European Summer Games this century, with a significant number of bigger, and more capable hosts than Glasgow/Edinburgh. And the money. And the scale of the size of the cities. And the rather major point that it was made clear the only city that would be able to win the Summer Games in the UK was London, it simply wont happen.

Looking at current European Alpha Cities

London (2012)
    Paris (1924, but gone cold on 2024)
    Milan
    Moscow
    Frankfurt
    Madrid
    Amsterdam (Euro Games 2019, maybe a 2028 bid)
    Brussels
    Vienna
    Istanbul
    Zurich
    Warsaw (again looking to 2019 Euro Games, will want a 2028 Olympics)
    Barcelona (unlikely Spain would support another Catalan bid before Madrid)
    Dublin
    Munich (chance to forget previous German games?)
    Stockholm
    Prague

Beta +

Lisbon
    Copenhagen
    Rome
    Hamburg
    Dusseldorf
    Athens
    Budapest
    Berlin
    Kiev
    Bucharest

wildcards
    Sochi
    Baku

As you say before 2100 IF the IOC came to Europe every 3rd Games only 7 potential cities of the above 30 will get the Games.
    Some may get a Winter Games and with South Korea showing it is more than North America or Europe hosting Winter Games. , possibly two games in every 20 years, so maybe 8 European venues.
    Depending on Baku 2015 success, only 20 chances to host a European Games. London could host a European Games fairly easy, but if we had an Independent Scotland they could host a European Games, but Athletics is the main issue, unless Hampden Park is used again.

Basically 30 cities are chasing 20 to 28 multi sports hosting rights.

To have had London 2012 and Glasgow 2014 was a fortunate thing.
    I think to attend Multi Sports events for the next 20 years us British will need to pack our suitcases.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at current European Alpha Cities

London (2012)
    Paris (1924, but gone cold on 2024)
    Milan
    Moscow
    Frankfurt
    Madrid
    Amsterdam (Euro Games 2019, maybe a 2028 bid)
    Brussels
    Vienna
    Istanbul
    Zurich
    Warsaw (again looking to 2019 Euro Games, will want a 2028 Olympics)
    Barcelona (unlikely Spain would support another Catalan bid before Madrid)
    Dublin
    Munich (chance to forget previous German games?)
    Stockholm
    Prague

Beta +

Lisbon
    Copenhagen
    Rome
    Hamburg
    Dusseldorf
    Athens
    Budapest
    Berlin
    Kiev
    Bucharest

wildcards
    Sochi
    Baku

As you say before 2100 IF the IOC came to Europe every 3rd Games only 7 potential cities of the above 30 will get the Games.
    Some may get a Winter Games and with South Korea showing it is more than North America or Europe hosting Winter Games. , possibly two games in every 20 years, so maybe 8 European venues.
    Depending on Baku 2015 success, only 20 chances to host a European Games. London could host a European Games fairly easy, but if we had an Independent Scotland they could host a European Games, but Athletics is the main issue, unless Hampden Park is used again.

Basically 30 cities are chasing 20 to 28 multi sports hosting rights.

To have had London 2012 and Glasgow 2014 was a fortunate thing.
    I think to attend Multi Sports events for the next 20 years us British will need to pack our suitcases.

Dublin has even less chance than Glasgow. The torch relay went there as a favour as London is the closest thing they will have to a home Olympics.
  • Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it comes to Europe (not counting Russia), the only cities that have a hope of hosting the Games now would be the major capital cities like London, Paris, Rome, Berlin and Madrid.

I couldn't imagine an Olympics in any of the smaller capitals, and I doubt the IOC would be that keen either. It's all about status, prestige and keeping the Olympic brand all shiny. I'm assuming that's why the UK could only ever have London as a host city,. Manchester or the Brummie Games just doesn't fit...

And would Scotland (, or Ireland for that matter) have the billions of pounds necessary to do the work and not be left with a ton of white elephants at the end of it?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it comes to Europe (not counting Russia), the only cities that have a hope of hosting the Games now would be the major capital cities like London, Paris, Rome, Berlin and Madrid.

Since London has had it and Madrid have probably given up, I'd say 2024 is nailed on to be Berlin, Paris or Rome - although I suppose Amsterdam might be an outside chance. All of those would be great hosts and easy cities to get to.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Since London has had it and Madrid have probably given up, I'd say 2024 is nailed on to be Berlin, Paris or Rome - although I suppose Amsterdam might be an outside chance. All of those would be great hosts and easy cities to get to.

I think the Olympics are now too big for a city like Amsterdam - it does need to be a big city with the infrastructure (transport, hotels etc.) to cope with the influx of visitors.

For 2024, although a European city will be in a good position, a strong US bid will be tough competition as well.