Options

The beginning of the end for Political Correctness: the counter-revolution has begun

allfiredupallfiredup Posts: 2,994
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is this the way forward for British poiltics?

You do not have to go all the way in supporting the English Democrats party, whose silly proposal for an English parliament would add another superfluous layer to already excessive government, to raise a glass to Peter Davies, the party’s elected Mayor of Doncaster. Davies, the father of Tory MP Philip Davies, is one of just 11 directly elected mayors and he is enjoying increasing media exposure because of his outrageous agenda which, against all the tenets of consensual British politics, consists of doing what the public wants.

In his first week in office he cut his own salary from £73,000 to £30,000, which is putting one’s money where one’s mouth is. He also scrapped the mayoral limousine. He is ending Doncaster’s twinning with five towns around the world, an arrangement which he describes as “just for people to fly off and have a binge at the council’s expense”. He intends now to reduce (that’s right, reduce) council tax by 3 per cent this year.

The “diversity” portfolio has been abolished from the council’s cabinet. From next year no more funding will be given to the town’s “Gay Pride” event, on the grounds that people do not need to parade their sexuality, whatever it may be, at taxpayers’ expense. Black History Month, International Women’s Day and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender History Month are similarly destined to become history.

Council funding of translation services for immigrants has been scrapped because he believes incomers should take the trouble to learn English. Officials have been ordered to abandon bureaucratic gobbledegook language. Davies is saving the taxpayers £80,000 by disaffiliating from the pointless Local Government Association and the Local Government Information Unit. He aims to abolish all non-jobs on the council, as epitomised by “community cohesion officers”. He is taking advice from the Taxpayers’ Alliance and the Campaign Against Political Correctness.

Davies’s views are calculated to put Harriet Harridan into intensive care for six months. He disregards all “green claptrap”, is creating more parking spaces to encourage traffic in the town for the benefit of business (”I’m not green and I’m not conned by global warming”). He has asked the Electoral Commission to reduce the number of Doncaster’s councillors from 63 to 21 (”If Pittsburgh can manage with nine councillors, why do we need 63?”).

You may be feeling disorientated, overcome by a surreal sensation, on hearing such extraordinary, unprecedented views. They are the almost forgotten, forcibly extinguished voice of sanity which most people had thought forever excised from British politics. These policies are common sense, which is something we have not experienced in any council chamber, still less the House of Commons, in decades. The establishment is moving heaven and earth to discredit and obstruct Davies. He is that ultimate embarrassment: the boy who reveals that the Emperor has no clothes.

If it is good enough for Doncaster, it is good enough for Britain. Our effete, corrupt, politically correct politicians must be compelled to follow suit. Once upon a time, such policies would have been axiomatic in the Tory Party. In the Cameron-occupied Conservative Party of today they are regarded as anathema. There has to be an inflexible public will to enforce the country’s wishes on the political class under pain of ejection from public life. That is the sole agenda for the next general election. The mainstream parties, as currently constituted, are no longer electable.

Comments

• Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this true? Sounds bloody fantastic to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's absolutely brilliant! Hopefully more people like him will be elected, and this country can finally get back to some sort of sanity! I'm very impressed! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    allfiredupallfiredup Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Lucem FerreLucem Ferre Posts: 8,224
    Forum Member
    Just waiting for the usual suspects to come along and brand this man an 'evil fascist'.
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is already a thread about this guy who to me sounds like a total loon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SHAFT wrote: »
    Why does he sound like a total loon? Isn't he actually just genuine democracy in action? People ask for it,people get it...isn't that the way that true democracy should work?

Don't forget, politicians and councillors are supposed to be answerable to us, and what we say should be what happens!
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jbeavon wrote: »
    Why does he sound like a total loon? Isn't he actually just genuine democracy in action? People ask for it,people get it...isn't that the way that true democracy should work?

Don't forget, politicians and councillors are supposed to be answerable to us, and what we say should be what happens!

Ineffectual as well as nuts by the sound of it:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1043508
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SHAFT wrote: »

He may sound like a loon to the people sitting in cushy jobs on a high salary working for council's in jobs that serve no or little purpose. The may soon actually have to do adecent day's work for once in their lives.

To me these are brilliant ideas, bring them on, if they succeed this could be the start of a completely new way of life in this country, one for the better.

He will show I am sure there is just far too much tax-payers money wasted on superfluous projects and services that cost far too much with very little benefit to the public as a whole and more benefit to councils in just creating jobs for the boys. Jobs within councils breed like oversexed rabbits. Yes, why DO we need so many councillors, a very good point.

Those on the gravy train need be afraid, very afraid the train looks like it may be hitting the buffers hard at Doncaster very soon. Bring it on Peter, I wish you success.
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I can go along with much of this and I do support the "English Parliament" Idea of the English Democrats.

I have never understood why a local council ward needs two councillors when a much larger constituency manages with one MP. This is one way to save millions.

It is hardly racist to require people who live in this country to speak english. I'm sure special arrangements could be made for those cases where age or illness makes learning english impossible.

Oh no, it couldn't be "jobs for the boys (and girls)" and a lucrative ride on the expenses gravy train could it?

I last saw my local councillors in 2007 when they were candidates for election. Once elected they seemed to vanish!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a fantastic change from what has sadly become the norm today. Britain needs more people like this as it proves there are lots of things that can be done to save the public money by cutting away the unneeded junk without affecting the service we receive!
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone mentioned on another thread as to why Doncaster needed to be twinned with 5 other towns, along with all the cost that entails. Who could possibly argue against that? Ooh, let me guess! Our left leaning friends on DS?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top bloke.

- Eric
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Someone mentioned on another thread as to why Doncaster needed to be twinned with 5 other towns, along with all the cost that entails. Who could possibly argue against that? Ooh, let me guess! Our left leaning friends on DS?

I've no objection to town twinning but not at council tax payers' expense. If people want to travel abroad fine, as long as they pay themselves.

But "councillors and officials going on a jolly jamboree" - no way!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Can I ask what is "political correctness", and how do you "ban" it?
    At the end of the day isn't "PC" as it's known today, nothing but a tabloid boogie-man?
    A strawman for bigots to use to deflect criticism away form their bigotry?
    Aren't the "PC gone mad" stories just urban myth?
    I mean, how are you going to "un-ban" Baa Baa Black Sheep, when it's never been banned?
    How are you going to re-rename Christmas, Christmas when it was never re-branded as "Winterful" (or whatever) in the first place?
    As for this Campaign Against PC group - well, a bunch of Don Quixote's tilting at windmills comes to mind.
    I've been hearing the same old "PC gone mad" crap since I was at school (about 25 years ago).Only then it was the "Looney Left rather than the "PC Brigade".But when you start hearing the some old stories again & again, despite the fact in all of my years I've never actually personally experienced "PC" and the only source that I kept hearing these things from were Tabloid newspapers or anecdotal's from people who read (& believe what they read in) Tabloid newspapers .....
    Well you got to ask don't you.

So, exactly how do you end something that only really exists in the pages of tabloids and the minds of people who read them??
  • Options
    BRMBBRMB Posts: 3,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Full marks to the man, and I sincerely hope this is real and not just political posturing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RFAD wrote: »
    At the end of the day isn't "PC" as it's known today, nothing but a tabloid boogie-man?
    I mean, how are you going to "un-ban" Baa Baa Black Sheep, when it's never been banned?
    How are you going to re-rename Christmas, Christmas when it was never re-branded as "Winterful" (or whatever) in the first place?
    As for this Campaign Against PC group - well, a bunch of Don Quixote's tilting at windmills comes to mind.
    I've been hearing the same old "PC gone mad" crap since I was at school (about 25 years ago).Only then it was the "Looney Left rather than the "PC Brigade".But when you start hearing the some old stories again & again, despite the fact in all of my years I've never actually personally experienced "PC" and the only source that I kept hearing these things from were Tabloid newspapers or anecdotal's from people who read (& believe what they read in) Tabloid newspapers .....

So, exactly how do you end something that only really exists in the pages of tabloids and the minds of people who read them??

Have a look at some of the articles on this site and you will find plenty of examples of "political correctness gone mad".

http://www.grumpyoldsod.com/index.asp

A rare oasis of common sense on the internet!
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RFAD wrote: »

I completely agree with the above.

I would like a poster here to give one clear example of where they've experienced "Political Correctness gone mad".
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    Have a look at some of the articles on this site and you will find plenty of examples of "political correctness gone mad".

http://www.grumpyoldsod.com/index.asp

A rare oasis of common sense on the internet!

Link didn't work

Political correctness is just another way of saying think of other people as well as yourself, and if you can help someone more disadvantaged than yourself, then give them a helping hand.

Political correctness gone mad is as meaningless as health and safety gone mad:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Lunatic takes over Asylum' shocker.

This guy sounds like the sort of bigoted douchebag everyone is going to deny supporting by this time next year. A bit like Thatcher, or Bliar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Link didn't work

Political correctness is just another way of saying think of other people as well as yourself, and if you can help someone more disadvantaged than yourself, then give them a helping hand.

Political correctness gone mad is as meaningless as health and safety gone mad:)

OK i'll try again.
    http://www.grumpyoldsod.com/

Did it work? If so here is an example of "political correcness gone mad".
    http://www.grumpyoldsod.com/government%20racism.asp
    Enjoy!
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    OK i'll try again.
    http://www.grumpyoldsod.com/

Did it work? If so here is an example of "political correcness gone mad".
    http://www.grumpyoldsod.com/government%20racism.asp
    Enjoy!

A batch or total lies and hyperbole from the website, apart from #11, which is just plain bad manners.

If you mean the argument against PC is invent something and then say it's wrong, then maybe you are on pretty strong ground, but not in my version of reality.

4. You can't send your child to university if you went to one yourself. I mean, be fair. You had your turn.

5. You can't lie in the sun in your garden or the park or at the beach without being lectured about Global Warming.

6. You can't lie in the sun in your garden or the park or at the beach without being moved on by some local council jobsworth armed with a £50 fixed penalty notice.

7. You can't lie in the sun in your garden or the park or at the beach without being told to wear Factor 1,000 in case you burn.

8. You can't lie in the sun in your garden or the park or at the beach without being harangued because it offends Islam.

9. You can't lie in the sun in your garden or the park or at the beach without being suspected of child abuse.

10. You can't drop a (completely bio-degradable, in my case) **** end in the gutter.

11. You can't call anyone a black bastard, because that's racist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely agree with the above.

I would like a poster here to give one clear example of where they've experienced "Political Correctness gone mad".

Political Correctness has not gone mad - it is mad.

That very expression is in itself an abhoration in a democracy in which there is or should be free speech.

You want examples, I see some every day first hand as well as reported in the press.

I was chairing a meeting this evening and some twerp called me 'chair' and I am not an inaminate wooden object, I am a chairman. Got it...

Then there was the new recruit to my local council when my wife worked there. Straight out of uni she complained about my wife asking for a black coffee... Fortunately the silly girl was simply laughed at by all around her.

There was a story just recently, well sourced, about some quangoes putting out a list of banned words and expressions such as 'a black day'.

A friend of mine told a rather funny joke on a forum, the butt of the joke being us taxpayers in general, but because a racial minority was also mentioned some idiot complained about him being racist. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I could go on...

Back to this mayor though. Seems a good bloke and he certainly has the right idea.

An English Parliament is not a good idea though. Just another layer of politicians, more expense, more jobs for the boys. A better idea is for English MPs to form a Grand Committee to decide on English matters (basically banning Scots/Welsh MPs from discussing or voting on purely English matters) . No more beaurocrats needed, no more politicians no extra elections.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeadJoe wrote: »
    'Lunatic takes over Asylum' shocker.

This guy sounds like the sort of bigoted douchebag everyone is going to deny supporting by this time next year. A bit like Thatcher, or Bliar.

Instead of just coming out this a load of insults why not explain exactly what he has done that you disagree with and why. We can then discuss what you said. That is what discussion and debate really is.

As for your latter comment. Mrs T remains admired by millions all over the world, myself included, as our greatest (peacetime) PM of the 20th Century.

I can understand that comment in relation to Bliar though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds good to me.