DIY SOS Big Build

InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone else watch this?

I really enjoy this version of the show. It reminds me of some of the bigger Ground Force episodes.

It's always a tad emotional seeing how happy the families are to see the new home, especially when they go beyond the original plans and add a few surprises.

A real 'feel good' programme to watch. Better than a lot of the depressing stuff on TV these days.

Comments

• Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really wish we could see more building and less chat and silly talk among the men .
    Loved the wet room but the two boys dare not grow an inch more to fit in their cupboards .
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I like this. They seem to be concentrating on bigger projects now, which involve them calling on tradesmen in the local community, and I think it works better that way.

A girl I know has met Billy the spark and says he's a really lovely guy.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Yes, I wish the builders would stop messing around and acting up thinking that they have become sort of minor celebrities. It is those actions that put me off the majority of the original series.
    However I tuned in last night to see what it was like and it wasn't too bad. The story was touching though.

And that bluddy music again, pervading most of TV nowadays completley ruining everything - I wish they'd stop it.
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    I stumbled onto this last night, and found it SO sad.
    That poor family, and all they've been through, very touching.
    I too was thinking that the smaller oy is not going to last long in his bed built into the wall, what are they going to do when he grows??:eek:
    Overall a good show though. The engagement part was a bit embarassing, not to say very unromantic, I guess they just wanted the proposal on TV?
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the episode but wished that the editor had put a little more effort in on the details. The lad was clearly shown as an avid Sunderland supporter, yet they kept showing pictures of the Tyne Bridge and saying stuff about the 'Toon Army', ie things that are linked to his club's deadly rivals.

A strange thing to do to a lad who has suffered so much in his short life.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Yes, I wish the builders would stop messing around and acting up thinking that they have become sort of minor celebrities....
    Well they are more celebrities than many of talentless reality show z-celebs that are on our screens. A least they can claim to have some skills and are making people's lives better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the builder's joviality. I also agree about the bedrooms. The smallest of the two rooms the kid was taller than the bed already. They should have put a desk in that cove and the bed by the door
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They could have had just two fire doors, one on each side of the head of the loft staircase and avoided that long corridor, thus freeing up room.
    That steelwork looked way over the top too, but thats structural engineers for you.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone else watching this?

I am so blubbing :o
  • traitrai Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    you're not alone, i'm blubbing too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trai wrote: »
    you're not alone, i'm blubbing too.

What a lovely story and such a happy ending. If you know what I mean....
  • ellie1997ellie1997 Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone else watching this?

I am so blubbing :o

the eldest is my Daughters best friend, my husband and I are in bits! Lovely family and so deserving.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ellie1997 wrote: »
    the eldest is my Daughters best friend, my husband and I are in bits! Lovely family and so deserving.

Awwww they were such a lovely family and deserved all the help they got from everyone.

Need more tissues!
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She came across as very charming and unassuming.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »

She is the sweetest, politest little thing I've ever had the pleasure to meet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is the sweetest, politest little thing I've ever had the pleasure to meet.

Do you know how the father is?
  • cazzbarcazzbar Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cried last week when they were in Durham and again tonight. I started crying when Nick was talking to that fabulous builder lady (also terminally ill). How easy it is to ignore people and their problems - this programme shows us how to reach out and help, something we seem to have forgotten.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cazzbar wrote: »
    I cried last week when they were in Durham and again tonight. I started crying when Nick was talking to that fabulous builder lady (also terminally ill). How easy it is to ignore people and their problems - this programme shows us how to reach out and help, something we seem to have forgotten.

Agree.

Its also heart warming to see so many people drop everything and help out people that they dont personally know, just to make life better for them.
  • Purple OrchidPurple Orchid Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »

I thought she was an absolute credit to her parents, very polite, well-mannered and articulate. The whole family were lovely.

I missed the start, will the Dad be ok? I didn`t see any of the parts where they talked about what the family were going through.
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What an absolutely lovely young girl, well they all are really. I was in tears, even my husband welled up a bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you know how the father is?

As far as I know he's ok, he dropped Sarah off here the other week and seemed ok. The build has changed their lives.
    PamelaL wrote: »
    What an absolutely lovely young girl, well they all are really. I was in tears, even my husband welled up a bit.

The first time I met Sarah I sneezed and she said "Bless you!". Something so simple made me laugh because I can't think of any other teenager that is so very unassuming and polite.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed the beginning what was wrong with the father?
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    number six wrote: »
    I missed the beginning what was wrong with the father?

He has terminal stomach cancer. As soon as Nick says whats wrong with the family Im in tears . The when the lovely lady came on with the extention and she said she had had bad news from her doctor I was in even more tears. Makes what few worries I and most people have seem nothing to what they are all going through.

Lainey
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched this on the iplayer - it was supposed to be on in Scotland on Bank Holiday Monday but got shelved due to bin Laden's death.

I can only agree that the family seemed lovely. The bit that got me was when they were showing the family the completed house and the oldest daughter became so overwhelmed she began weeping and hugged Nick Knowles (must have been quite emotional for him too).
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah it was a really good one. The daughter was clearly very grown up.