Options

V+HD to Tivo - broadband question

realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

My grandmother has a V+HD box that appears to be on its last legs.

She uses the record facilities quite often and would miss them if they were no longer available.

However, I'm not sure whether Tivo would be much use to her. She doesn't have a computer and has no interest in taking out a broadband package. Is this necessary to get Tivo to work?

Comments

• Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    realwales wrote: »
    Hi,

My grandmother has a V+HD box that appears to be on its last legs.

She uses the record facilities quite often and would miss them if they were no longer available.

However, I'm not sure whether Tivo would be much use to her. She doesn't have a computer and has no interest in taking out a broadband package. Is this necessary to get Tivo to work?

You do not need to take out a Broadband package to get a Tivo box as this just uses the TV cable, to get a cheaper deal you need to get or already have a Phone Line though

The Tivo boxes does not use the separate Broadband connection as it has a Modem built in, there is only one cable connection to it from outside your house,
    all the Engineer will do is swap your V+ box for the Tivo, it will take them an hour to install because they need to download the software to the box
  • Options
    67896789 Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the V+ is faulty, VM will replace it with another V+
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent - many thanks for your replies.

I was under the impression V + HD boxes had been phased out now, but I suppose I can always phone up and ask.

She may find Tivo easier to use in some ways, though. V + HD can be rather sticky and it has various problems.
  • Options
    BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    V+HD boxes still exist for fault replacements, they've only been stopped for new orders
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I phoned Virgin Media up tonight to discuss this issue and was frankly disgusted with their attitude.

I firstly called the relevant number and a recorded message told me I'd be in for a wait of around 15 minutes. However, in the meantime, I could choose the music I wanted to listen to by selecting an option on my keypad. Was this a p**s take?

I eventually got through to someone more than TWENTY minutes later, on a poor-quality line in India. She told me that V+HD was no longer available for ANY customers, but I could have Tivo installed for free. However, after putting me on hold (for a further five minutes) she returned and withdrew the free installation offer, and offered me half price installation instead.

I didn't think much of her smarmy, patronising attitude and the way in which she withdrew her initial offer, blaming a 'computer glitch'. Virgin Media may well be losing a customer over this.
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    I phoned Virgin Media up tonight to discuss this issue and was frankly disgusted with their attitude.

I firstly called the relevant number and a recorded message told me I'd be in for a wait of around 15 minutes. However, in the meantime, I could choose the music I wanted to listen to by selecting an option on my keypad. Was this a p**s take?

I eventually got through to someone more than TWENTY minutes later, on a poor-quality line in India. She told me that V+HD was no longer available for ANY customers, but I could have Tivo installed for free. However, after putting me on hold (for a further five minutes) she returned and withdrew the free installation offer, and offered me half price installation instead.

I didn't think much of her smarmy, patronising attitude and the way in which she withdrew her initial offer, blaming a 'computer glitch'. Virgin Media may well be losing a customer over this.

Why don't you phone up again this time between 9:30am and 4:45pm and try to speak to an English person or a Scottish person and tell them what your situation is,
    make sure you speak to customer Retentions and not Customer Services, follow all the prompts leading you to Customer Retentions
    by pressing the buttons corresponding to "Thinking of leaving us"
  • Options
    BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    Sounds like you were speaking to Customer Services there, and they would be correct that they cannot order a V+HD, only TiVo

You can only now get a replacement V+ HD if an engineer visits due to a reported fault of the TV service and identifies that a new box is required - asking specifically for a new V+ HD box on the phone isn't something you can do
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did as suggested and rang during daytime and got through to 'thinking of leaving us' on the option menu. I got through to a very nice man who offered a V+HD box as a replacement, which will be installed later today.

Many thanks for all your help.