Options

reasons to stay in europe.?

crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
Forum Member
✭✭✭
On a daily basis UKIP will tell us reasons to leave Europe but rarely do the other parties give good or enough reasons to stay in.

For instance we constantly here UKIP want to control our borders. What is the counter argument.

UKIP want to control cheap labour. What is the counter argument.

Come on pro europe lot stand up to the plate and give us overwhelming reasons to stay in Europe.

Comments

• Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Election result announcements on Sundays.

Oh, 454g jars of honey; and 1.4 litre containers of Lenor.
  • Options
    Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    It is arguably better to trade within a single market with no custom tariffs and a common set of regulations rather than every one of 27 countries each having its own. The EU single market is not perfect by any means, but it is arguably a leveller playing field than it otherwise would be.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew1954 wrote: »
    It is arguably better to trade within a single market with no custom tariffs and a common set of regulations rather than every one of 27 countries each having its own. The EU single market is not perfect by any means, but it is arguably a leveller playing field than it otherwise would be.

Yes - but given the high external tariff barriers you do tend to tie yourself to trading within the slowest growing economy on the planet. If you were able to extend your trade deals to whatever countries and regions that suited the export capabilities of the UK then over all it is very debatable that you would not see a net benefit.
  • Options
    crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That says it all. 3 posts!!
    It really is a stark warning that the reasons for staying in europe are drying up.
    Start a thread saying what are the benefits of leaving europe it will be swamped!!
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    The only reason that keeps coming up is that its racist to leave , pathetic really

For a party that people keep saying will never get any MPs or have influence UKIP seem to be attracting a lot of attention , its almost as if the full force of the faceless unelected EU bureaucrats is being towards UKIP
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member
    There's some good reasons to stay in the EU.

I don't think there's much choice to be honest.

It's a true measure of the Nationalist and the Protectionist.
  • Options
    AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Cleg said we should stay in because it had made the charges on mobile phones cheaper when you are in another EU province and calling home

Suppose it's good for him, he can ring his Luthuanian nanny and ask how Antonio, Miguel and Alberto are doing
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    Yes - but given the high external tariff barriers you do tend to tie yourself to trading within the slowest growing economy on the planet. If you were able to extend your trade deals to whatever countries and regions that suited the export capabilities of the UK then over all it is very debatable that you would not see a net benefit.

What high external tariff barriers would you expect we could negotiate to have removed on our own?
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »
    On a daily basis UKIP will tell us reasons to leave Europe but rarely do the other parties give good or enough reasons to stay in.

For instance we constantly here UKIP want to control our borders. What is the counter argument

We don't want the millions of Brits currently allowed to live in the EU come flooding back.
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »

For instance we constantly here UKIP want to control our borders. What is the counter argument.

UKIP want to control cheap labour. What is the counter argument.

Come on pro europe lot stand up to the plate and give us overwhelming reasons to stay in Europe.

I'm neutral on whether or not the UK stays in the EU, but I'll give what I think are the standard counter arguments to the two parts in bold anyway.

1) Control over borders works both ways. If the UK pulls out of the EU and stops freedom of movement for EU citizens into the UK, then the rest of the EU* will do the same back, thereby limiting the freedom of British people to live and work abroad.

2) UKIP's only plan for controlling cheap labour is to limit cheap immigrant labour from EU countries. In other ways their policies would strip workers of their rights and worsen the position of those at the low wage, low skilled end of the labour market.

*Except the Republic of Ireland which has a separate Common Travel Area with the UK which pre-dates the EU and would presumably still exist if the British decided to pull out of Europe.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its just like the NO Campaign in Scotland.
    "no don't do it". that's about it.
    The case for Staying within the EU has been woeful.
    they don't see about the EU funding on Various projects around the UK Like here in wales. It enabled houses to actually have indoor bathrooms. The run down areas of the country Westminster don't even think about making life a little more bearable for the people living there.
    The Road improvement schemes we see all over the UK its not just central government money.

Key issues of concern should have been raised at the summit in 2011. Owing to the influx of polish people a special fund should have created coming into force this year that would have given money back to local councils to ease pressure on homes/ Schools/surgeries
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote:
    1) Control over borders works both ways. If the UK pulls out of the EU and stops freedom of movement for EU citizens into the UK, then the rest of the EU* will do the same back, thereby limiting the freedom of British people to live and work abroad.
    But this is how it is with Britons and countries outside the EU and how it was with every country Britain dealt with before the EU.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    But this is how it is with Britons and countries outside the EU and how it was with every country Britain dealt with before the EU.

I know. But many Britons have still benefited from the new rules allowing them to live and work in Germany, France, Spain, etc. That benefit will no longer exist if the UK pulls out of the EU.

Of course, its entirely up to yourselves to decide whether you want to keep that benefit or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    What high external tariff barriers would you expect we could negotiate to have removed on our own?

Well we could sign agreements to remove excessive tariff barriers that increase the cost of agriculture products to UK consumers (some items have rates over 100%) - a good way of tackling the cost of living crisis I am sure you will agree.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »

I beg your pardon?

We only trade with EU countries? Which countries on the planet do we not trade with, pray?
    Doesn't seemed to have hurt Germany - still the world's largest exporter by value.

I'm glad the OP opened this thread. It's about time the nonsense peddled by the 'phobes was exposed. Our lack of export success is down to our lack of exporters with products and services the world wants. Nothing to do with the EU.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    I know. But many Britons have still benefited from the new rules allowing them to live and work in Germany, France, Spain, etc. That benefit will no longer exist if the UK pulls out of the EU.

Of course, its entirely up to yourselves to decide whether you want to keep that benefit or not.

It's likely that new rules would not affect people retroactively so people from Romania now living in Britain and British people scouring Romanian streets for gold can remain where they are. Only people wishing to move from Romania to Britain and vice versa after a withdrawal will need to go through the same processes that say someone wanting to move to Australia from Britain would need to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    It's likely that new rules would not affect people retroactively so people from Romania now living in Britain and British people scouring Romanian streets for gold can remain where they are. Only people wishing to move from Romania to Britain and vice versa after a withdrawal will need to go through the same processes that say someone wanting to move to Australia from Britain would need to do.

Its not just Romania its every EU country bar Ireland. And I wouldn't be so sure about it not being applied retroactively either - if a person's legal status in France or wherever is based on EU citizenship and then their country withdraws from the EU I would think they would then have to apply for a visa to stay in the country.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want out of Europe, so can't contribute to the thread much.

Except to say to the OP I keep reading the title to the tune of Ian Dury's
    "Reasons to be cheerful".:blush::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    I beg your pardon?

We only trade with EU countries? Which countries on the planet do we not trade with, pray?

Which is not what I said.

What I did say was that having high tariff barriers does tend to restrict your trade - feel free to disagree.

Doesn't seemed to have hurt Germany - still the world's largest exporter by value.

Of course having an currency undervalued by around 30% doesnt help does it? :D
    I'm glad the OP opened this thread. It's about time the nonsense peddled by the 'phobes was exposed.

talking of peddling nonsense - where is that roll eyes smiley when you need it?

Anyway, how is the 3 million jobs claim coming along? :D
  • Options
    DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally want out of Europe so Britain has the sovereign capability to dictate it's own future from here onwards.... I see no "real" reason to staying in Europe for "safety", the Lib Dems keep harping on about how the EU has contributed to security and peace across Europe - are we really saying that if the UK leaves Europe, we'll automatically end up in a war with Germany or Spain again?? really??

reasons for staying in the EU - the common market.... but that is offset by the Commonwealth, and the potential for Britain to trade unhindered by the (current) extraordinarily high tariff rates for dealing with the likes of Australia, New Zealand, Canada, China and India and the BRICs countries - the reason the common market exists is to facilitate cheap trade WITHIN Europe, not outside.

it's actually to the detriment of any EU country who wishes to trade outside the EU, you have to pay a lot more to trade with non-EU nations than you with EU nations, so what would happen when Britain leaves, and is free to set up a free trade agreement with all Commonwealth nations??

the potential for that market is huge compared to the EU's common market, so why are we limiting our own capability to trade on our own terms with anyone we want to, by being stuck in the EU? makes no sense to me.... which is why I'll probably vote for UKIP
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthGore wrote: »
    I personally want out of Europe so Britain has the sovereign capability to dictate it's own future from here onwards.... I see no "real" reason to staying in Europe for "safety", the Lib Dems keep harping on about how the EU has contributed to security and peace across Europe - are we really saying that if the UK leaves Europe, we'll automatically end up in a war with Germany or Spain again?? really??

reasons for staying in the EU - the common market.... but that is offset by the Commonwealth, and the potential for Britain to trade unhindered by the (current) extraordinarily high tariff rates for dealing with the likes of Australia, New Zealand, Canada, China and India and the BRICs countries - the reason the common market exists is to facilitate cheap trade WITHIN Europe, not outside.

it's actually to the detriment of any EU country who wishes to trade outside the EU, you have to pay a lot more to trade with non-EU nations than you with EU nations, so what would happen when Britain leaves, and is free to set up a free trade agreement with all Commonwealth nations??

the potential for that market is huge compared to the EU's common market, so why are we limiting our own capability to trade on our own terms with anyone we want to, by being stuck in the EU? makes no sense to me.... which is why I'll probably vote for UKIP

We'll see if all those multinationals upon whom we rely so heavily, agree. ;-)
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    We are too far away from any other continent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is what I said about the subject on this article (in reply to it):

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/07/left-progressive-euroscepticism-eu-ills
    AlanFry wrote:
    I am not saying many left-wing would love to have UKIP in power, it is just that there is a naivity that leaving the EU and going it alone would result in a better economic system for the working people.

The problem with that is that thanks to globalisation, companies and the elite will just take their business to other countries supporting the failed system, that is why it failed in the 70s.

We need to create a superpower in Europe to unify labour laws/workers rights/tax laws and force/pressure others to do the same, otherwise it will mean a further "race to the bottom" for everyone outside the core elite...
    AlanFry wrote:
    I am calling not for powers to be taken back, but for the EU to stop following a failed economic system, supporting the lifestyles and needs of the elite and stop following the dictats of Washington.
    AlanFry wrote:
    Also until we come together in Europe, it will remain full of vassal states of either Washington or Moscow/Beijing.
    AlanFry wrote:
    Why can't we set up our own superpower and push though our agenda, rather than the the agendas of the American/European and Russian/Chinese elites?
    AlanFry wrote:
    I am not opposed to a Anglosphere Union in principle, but only if America accepts radical poltical and economic reforms in favour of the working people.

Otherwise I agree that Europe needs to come together to counter both Washington, Moscow and Beijing...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also said this in another thread
    ITN Source wrote:
    The question should be, why Britain needs to join up with other nations to form Superpowers.

You have to understand that the world as we know is globalised economically, however it is doninated by 2 power blocks, 1 lead by America and other lead by China/Russia.

You also have to understand that while globalisation has allowed the developing world to develop and for increased international trade and understanding, it has also created a race to bottom (for people like us) and boosted the power and wealth of the elite, not helped by Free-Market-Capitalism and Neo-Liberal policies.

When you add the treat from Islamism and the conflect with China and Russia, do deal with this globalised world we need to come together to form stonger nations that can become major superpowers.

This would allow the Islamist threat to be delt with, China and Russia to be contained and for global standards when it comes to tax and workers rights, thus ending the driving down of living standards not helped by migration.

Britain also need to accept that it is no longer a world power and yet also unite with others to become one.

Now I have 2 options, eithe Unite with the Anglosphere:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nglosphere.svg

Or Unite within Europe

Now the first one would be a good option for the UK, but it will be not easy to do, it would require major economic and poltical reforms as well...

The Second one is easier due to our closeness and interests in Europe as well as the EU being there.

We need to deicide which is the better option.

PS: Considering that British and American Conservatives (Nigel included) are quite keen on Russia, perhaps we should include the Russiansphere as well

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...mpire_1960.png

Maybe we could form a Anglo-Eusian Federation to dominate the world! (Sadly it looks unlikely)
  • Options
    ZimmieZimmie Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have mixed feelings about Europe, but if i have to give positive points, i would say free movement, directives on pay/workers and environment, also i don't mind the idea of Europe together not being one huge McDonalds too the USA, also potential together to stop bad practice in Asia as a bloc instead of a nation state which has little power.