Calling all film experts - can you help me?

The Queen VicThe Queen Vic Posts: 5,775
Forum Member
Hello,

I am a drama student and we make a film at the end of the course, made up of duologues from films that interlink in some way - there isn't a link at the moment, that comes when the scenes are chosen by the director.

However, I need some help if possible.

I need a scene featuring a young male (I say young, up to about thirty years old) with another male or female around the same age (or again up to about thirty), so essentially a duologue between two young actors... over the age of 18 preferably. An interesting scene, a good relationship and some high stakes would be nice. It can be American or British, that's not really essential.

Any ideas? YouTube clips or the like would be appreciated or just list them here and I'll search. I'm just a bit stumped.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments

• JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, I can not imagine why you are stumped. There are loads.

I will give a few, but you will have to look at them and see if they are anything like what you are after. It would have helped a little if you had said how long the scene should be, but it might not matter.

There are some scenes in The Last Picture Show which will fit. Also, try the 'Why are we doing this' scene, and others, from Rebel Without A Cause (warning, James Dean is sensational and it is a good film so prepare to be smitten). There are some scenes which might work in Christine, between Arnie and Dennis - e.g. when Arnie first sees the car, and between Dennis and Arnie's girl friend. The classical example is I suppose Great Expectations between Pip and the girl including an overtly erotic one in the Gwyn Paltrow version. That will give you some to look at. There are loads more.

I have a particular soft spot for a film called A Summer Tale, directed by Eric Rohmer, with great scenes between our hero and the café girl. That is in French though.
  • The Queen VicThe Queen Vic Posts: 5,775
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Thanks for that - really helpful.

Should've mentioned the time - about two minutes, but I suppose scenes could be cut. Also, something a bit more modern but those suggestions are great.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which tone and mood are you looking for?

Talk to Me (2007) -- the pool hall scene and the apartment scene.
    The actors themselves are over 30, but in those scenes, their characters are under 30 (the film chronicles their 20-year friendship). Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzvLkuJbTFk

It's been years since I saw those, but there's quite a few in Swingers (1996), Dazed and Confused (1992), Breaking Away (1979), Diner (1982), Big Wednesday (1978), Love Jones (1997) and Platoon (1986). Like Johnbee says, there's loads out there.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Clerks & Clerks 2.

Plenty of duologues on many different subjects.
  • cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭