Options

Car Insurance/Police!

da3boolda3bool Posts: 2,620
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi

I had my first ever car accident last night. Basically I was going down a steep hill on a two way road, in a terrible rainy weather. There was a taxi station on our side of the lane facing us, waiting for a customer. I started to break but the car started to slide and car wouldn't stop with full break on, as if the break stopped working. I ended up hitting the car head on as I had no where to go. The other choice would have been to move to the incoming lane which is a bad idea.

Police came, talked to us and wrote some details. Police was questioning the taxi why he was stationed on there when there was two parking lanes on each side of the road.

I have a third-party, fire and theft cover. I called Admiral today and they said they wouldn't take it on because it was my fault, regardless of what the police said. They wouldn't listen to me and just kept dismissing everything I said., even after a manager spoke to me.

I'd like to know if they are right about the Police incident report not having any effect on the decision.

Below is a picture of the incident. Mine is the white Corsa.

Picture

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you hit a parked car.... the fault is with you.
    you were driving too fast for the conditions, you slammed on the brakes and aqua planed.
    the decision is the insurance companies.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Agreed, driving too fast for the conditions and hit a stationary car. Third party should cover damage to the other car, apart from that you're stuffed.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Op is up a creek without a paddle for his damage..

slow down in future op
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies guys, appreciated.

I was driving at 20mph.

I was just seeking an advice as it's my first ever accident and I was never in this position before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aqua planed at 20mph?
    are the tires baldy?
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    aqua planed at 20mph?
    are the tires baldy?

Aquaplaned. Tyres.

And who are you calling baldy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aqua planed at 20mph?
    are the tires baldy?

One of the front ones is a bit bald as I was planning to replace.

I was talking with one of the locals and they told me I wasn't and won't be the last one to have an accident on that hill.

I initially thought there was something wrong with the breaks but the Police told me they were fine when he moved my car.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    da3bool wrote: »

shakes head in disbelief
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your insurance company will honour its legal duties but i'd imagine hitting parked cars is not one of them and these days 3rd party is normally more expensive than fully comp (generally) but the taxi driver will be putting in a claim against you i'm sure so expect a massive increase in the next premium
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, presumably your insurance company will pay to repair damage to the taxi. Who do you think should pay for damage to your car, bearing in mind you have TP,F&T insurance?
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    da3bool wrote: »

Did the police look at the tyres after the accident? If they did not look at the tyres this may have just saved you points on your licence.

Also you said it happened on a steep hill. If this is a long hill it's possible you could you have suffered a bit of brake fade.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fade
  • Options
    QFourQFour Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the Taxi Drivers point of view he is going to get compensated for hiring a Taxi to continue with his work. The neck injury that he is now suffering from. All his passengers will put in claims and it will take months to repair the taxi because the insurance is paying for the Taxi Hire ..

So what happened. Dark night. Raining. Driving down a long hill. Lights reflecting off everything and all of a sudden you see someone on the wrong side of the road with his headlights on. So you braked and everything happened in slow motion. It always does. Seems like you have been travelling a couple of hundred meters when in fact you perhaps only travelled twenty.

Unless the Police do something about the other driver. Ie charge him with an offence I think you are going to have to put it down to experience. Harsh lesson really but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Just remember that if anyone ever runs into you then you can make a claim .. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks again guys
    QFour wrote: »
    From the Taxi Drivers point of view he is going to get compensated for hiring a Taxi to continue with his work. The neck injury that he is now suffering from. All his passengers will put in claims and it will take months to repair the taxi because the insurance is paying for the Taxi Hire ..

So what happened. Dark night. Raining. Driving down a long hill. Lights reflecting off everything and all of a sudden you see someone on the wrong side of the road with his headlights on sitting in the middle of the road. So you braked and everything happened in slow motion. It always does. Seems like you have been travelling a couple of hundred meters when in fact you perhaps only travelled twenty.

Unless the Police do something about the other driver. Ie charge him with an offence I think you are going to have to put it down to experience. Harsh lesson really but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Just remember that if anyone ever runs into you then you can make a claim .. ;-)

I think you just described exactly what happened to me. :(
    It's really scary when breaks fails on you and you are left with a decision whether to hit the stationary car on your lane or steer onto the oncoming cars. Either way you know you are going to crash.

The taxi's car got away with a minimal damage. Just a little scratch on the bumper. He was able to drive away after. Mine is badly damaged from the front. Damaged headlights, bumper and bonnet. There was only the taxi driver at the time of the accident.

It is a lesson learnt as Insurance company told me the way I should think of it is, if that was a child on the road instead of the taxi, it could have ended up worse.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [highlight]Brakes![/highlight]
  • Options
    Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to improve your driving skills and learn about cadence braking. If your car is already skidding then pressing the brake pedal harder will not help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadence_braking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sJKzN7Yy_I
  • Options
    Marc_DuckworthMarc_Duckworth Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly unrelated but I remember two years ago during the heavy snows, I was driving down a tiny incline coming up to a cross roads at no more than 2-3mph. I apply the brakes, and even with ABS due to the icy road I start sliding forward, and a van coming from my right starts doing exactly the same thing. It was one of the most surreal moments I have experienced, as we were both travelling so slowly, both skidding, and both of us could do nothing to stop it. Luckily I got a bit of traction from the wheels as I locked them to the left onto the kerb, but to a casual observer it must have been hilarious seeing the most slow motion almost crash ever with me and the gan driver just looking at each other with a confused look on our faces!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aqua planed at 20mph?
    are the tires baldy?

How the hell can you aquaplane at 20mph:confused:
  • Options
    Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    How the hell can you aquaplane at 20mph:confused:

You can aquaplane at any speed where the weather is sufficiently poor - even with good tyres - in a vehicle lacking abs (and even with abs, it's merely reduced significantly - not eliminated).

Then there's the gradient to factor in. Even in perfect conditions, gravity and 'her' laws remain the same. The OP was going downhill at 20mph in rainy conditions. Had she been travelling uphill..or on the flat for that matter..then the relative stopping distance would have decreased.

Paulie had it spot on when he/she mentioned the importance of cadence braking. It's not an easy skill to master, and not a natural reaction either, to come off the brakes when you panic. Unfortuneately advanced driving courses are pricey -though of huge benefit in terms of learning & honing such skills.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you have admitted liability already, then I would try making a claim on the taxi driver's insurance. He was parked where he shouldn't have been, causing a hazard and it seems the police may have agreed with you.

The insurance company may agree the blame is 50/50 and pay out half of your costs.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taxis [ Skodas driven by sour-faced social inadequates usually ] are a law unto themselves, they probably contribute to more road accidents than any other section of road users.

Parked cars with their f***ing headlights on is another bugbear.

BTW , a car's brakes are useless in the wet unless the tyres have some tread on them.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Taxis [ Skodas driven by sour-faced social inadequates usually ] are a law unto themselves, they probably contribute to more road accidents than any other section of road users.

Parked cars with their f***ing headlights on is another bugbear.

BTW , a car's brakes are useless in the wet unless the tyres have some tread on them.
    >cough> Bull....shit .<cough>
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can aquaplane at any speed where the weather is sufficiently poor - even with good tyres - in a vehicle lacking abs (and even with abs, it's merely reduced significantly - not eliminated).

Then there's the gradient to factor in. Even in perfect conditions, gravity and 'her' laws remain the same. The OP was going downhill at 20mph in rainy conditions. Had she been travelling uphill..or on the flat for that matter..then the relative stopping distance would have decreased.

Paulie had it spot on when he/she mentioned the importance of cadence braking. It's not an easy skill to master, and not a natural reaction either, to come off the brakes when you panic. Unfortuneately advanced driving courses are pricey -though of huge benefit in terms of learning & honing such skills.

I was once a passenger in a Morris Commercial and we hit a Police Car ,parked on grass verge , Head on. Both headlamps fell out both tyres went bang, Radiator burst.
    Went to court as a witness and solely because I was an independent witness (A Hitchhiker) and told the truth. Police told Lies, we won the case.
  • Options
    Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hut27 wrote: »
    I was once a passenger in a Morris Commercial and we hit a Police Car ,parked on grass verge , Head on. Both headlamps fell out both tyres went bang, Radiator burst.
    Went to court as a witness and solely because I was an independent witness (A Hitchhiker) and told the truth. Police told Lies, we won the case.

:D:D:D

You had me howling - still laughing now..!!.

That was just so randomly out of the blue. Hitting a police car, the headlamps falling out...*sob :D the poor tyres AND the radiator.

The best part being you won in court. - funniest post I've read in a while.

Thanks. :D
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    apply the brakes, and even with ABS due to the icy road I start sliding forward

That's because ABS only works if your tyres can grip the road! Without grip, ABS is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

So many people seem to think that ABS will always stop you - it's as if spikes magically appear from the tyres to grip the road (OK someone - name the James Bond film!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    (OK someone - name the James Bond film!).

die another day - worst bond movie ever