Options

"Silly silly little French girl"

2»

Comments

• Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hahaha...don't know why I find that so hilarious, as the thought of that towie madam peeing in the pool made me gag...:( but you have a way with words, I'll grant you that:D

I think because peeing in the pool is a skanky act, peeing in James's trilby is an evil plan ;-)
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen the clip but I don't think imitating a French or German or American accent is necessarily mocking. It might be gentle teasing but its usually done with a degree of affection.

I love French accent. Its the best thing about Frenchie by miles in my opinion. I could listen to her all day. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and I do try to copy the foreign accents I love but I certainly mean no offence in doing so.

Ola speaks with a curious and to my mind utterly charming accent. Its sort of Polish crossed with My Fair Lady type old-school cockney barrow-boy. Very endearing.
  • Options
    ucra girlucra girl Posts: 19,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rorybb wrote: »
    I think if the person is making a genuine effort it's wrong to mock them an it's just going to cause them to not try so i think it's wrong. However I do think English speaking (not just English people , or even just Native speakers because I would count dutch etc. in this as well) people have much more of a tendency to expect people to speak their language properly and mock them if they don't. Or complain about it (trust me , I work in a hotel where I'm the only Staff member that can speak English)

So true.I turned into a positive because I learnt English and they cant speak my language lol
  • Options
    rorybbrorybb Posts: 3,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ucra girl wrote: »
    Does it happen? Non English speakers are ALWAYS mocked for their accents and command of the English language.Never the other way round unless I have missed something:confused:

I wouldn't say it NEVER happens the other way , but it's pretty rare (mainly because most native English speakers don't ever actually bother to try) I think something that happens more is that we talk about English speakers while they're in front of us (which admittedly isn't always very nice depending on what we're saying)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does it happen? Non English speakers are ALWAYS mocked for their accents and command of the English language.Never the other way round unless I have missed something:confused:

I am teased a lot by Spanish friends for the way I speak their language. Mostly because, for reasons that are not quite clear to any of us, I speak Spanish with an Italian accent. I am not Italian and don't speak Italian as a second language so quite why I sound Italian when speaking Spanish I have no idea.
  • Options
    pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pitman wrote: »
    If Lauren pees in James's idiotic trilby she will be my winner :cool:

No that teeny tiny hat won't do at all . Lauren pees HUGE ,hence her needing a whole swimming pool apparently .
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"alright mate, what's the blandest thing on the menu?" :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen the clip but I don't think imitating a French or German or American accent is necessarily mocking. It might be gentle teasing but its usually done with a degree of affection.

I love French accent. Its the best thing about Frenchie by miles in my opinion. I could listen to her all day. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and I do try to copy the foreign accents I love but I certainly mean no offence in doing so.

Ola speaks with a curious and to my mind utterly charming accent. Its sort of Polish crossed with My Fair Lady type old-school cockney barrow-boy. Very endearing.

Oh yes of course I agree , but James wasn't being affectionate about her at all he was definitely mocking her , in sure frenchy would be fine with someone she considered a friend poking fun at her , but would probably be a little upset to think someone was actually mocking her when she does such a great job at always keeping up with conversations etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am teased a lot by Spanish friends for the way I speak their language. Mostly because, for reasons that are not quite clear to any of us, I speak Spanish with an Italian accent. I am not Italian and don't speak Italian as a second language so quite why I sound Italian when speaking Spanish I have no idea.

Haha I think a lot of English speakers have this tendency because Italian is more phonetically similar to English then Spanish , and so when people pronounce the words they tend to give it a more phonetic pronunciation (hence sounding a bit Italian) i hope that makes sense haha I have the problem where if speak Spanish I overemphasise everything and it sounds almost Portuguese haha
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pitman wrote: »
    James is about her age and he thinks he is a youngster the way he prattles about, the last thing I would call James is a boy, first thing would be a bellend :p

Oh dear Lord, I have just roared laughing and got dirty looks.

Pitman....>:(
  • Options
    this_THATthis_THAT Posts: 2,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she is a bit of a silly french girl though, admit it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rorybb wrote: »
    Haha I think a lot of English speakers have this tendency because Italian is more phonetically similar to English then Spanish , and so when people pronounce the words they tend to give it a more phonetic pronunciation (hence sounding a bit Italian) i hope that makes sense haha I have the problem where if speak Spanish I overemphasise everything and it sounds almost Portuguese haha

Spoil sport. I like to think it is because I am channelling Julius Caesar or Michelangelo from one of my many former lives. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this_THAT wrote: »
    she is a bit of a silly french girl though, admit it

I think "ridiculous French woman" is more appropriate :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe you speeka da Spanish like-a Papa Dolmio! Mamma mia! Maybe you donna speeka very gooda da Spanish!