10 Reasons You Should Never Get A Job

koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
I've just found this article while looking up an answer to a post in another thread and I thought it said what I've been thinking, only better put.

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/07/10-reasons-you-should-never-get-a-job/

Sounds like good reasons to me.

Comments

• bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never having a job is great if you can easily develop an alternative income stream.....

...if not, then you're stuffed....
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Never having a job is great if you can easily develop an alternative income stream.....

The author of the article isn't advocating not working at all, just not working for other people and not selling your time.

Rather, trying to get value for your labour and skills.

I totally agree with that principle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,664
    Forum Member
    wow just imagine if all the police and NHS workers just worked for themselfs.... who would you call to help.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, that guy's a d*ck. And a self-deluding one at that. Being self-employed with various income streams probably means working MORE than someone with a job...
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The author of the article isn't advocating not working at all, just not working for other people and not selling your time.

Don't you think it's too biased in favour of arrogant capitalists who don't mind screwing other people over in order to get money?
  • vanzandtfanvanzandtfan Posts: 8,897
    Forum Member

I'm not quite sure that when the author is talking about getting value for your labour he had in mind sitting around watching TV all day surrounded by bottles of your own piss.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Can I just clarify something?

You've discussed a variety of disabilities in the past, all of which make it impossible for you to work for a living.

However, you also seem to advocate a work-free lifestyle as a conscious decision.

Can I ask whether you'd choose to take a job to earn money if you were able to?

I'm not talking about establishing yourself as a social satirist or a post-modern philosopher.
    I'm talking about taking a job as a car-park attendant or house-painter or whatever if a suitable offer came up.

See, the thing is that I believe that an enlightened society has a responsibility to care for those who're unable to care for themselves and that actually makes me sympathetic to your situation.

But then you go and make threads about why all the cool kids don't work and the feeling of sympathy goes away again.

Beyond that, if you're going to actively CHOOSE not to work it seems a little churlish to fall back on the old "But I'm disabled so I CAN'T work" excuses after people have discredited your opinions.

*awaits inevitable ban* :rolleyes:
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fear this website is just fishing for people to sell his 'expert knowledge on self-employment schemes' to ;):(
  • LilolemeLiloleme Posts: 5,839
    Forum Member
    It reads like Karl Marx pyramid selling.

Yes I just said that in another thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Can I just clarify something?

You've discussed a variety of disabilities in the past, all of which make it impossible for you to work for a living.

However, you also seem to advocate a work-free lifestyle as a conscious decision.

Can I ask whether you'd choose to take a job to earn money if you were able to?

I'm not talking about establishing yourself as a social satirist or a post-modern philosopher.
    I'm talking about taking a job as a car-park attendant or house-painter or whatever if a suitable offer came up.

See, the thing is that I believe that an enlightened society has a responsibility to care for those who're unable to care for themselves and that actually makes me sympathetic to your situation.

But then you go and make threads about why all the cool kids don't work and the feeling of sympathy goes away again.

Beyond that, if you're going to actively CHOOSE not to work it seems a little churlish to fall back on the old "But I'm disabled so I CAN'T work" excuses after people have discredited your opinions.

*awaits inevitable ban* :rolleyes:

I would prefer to be healthy and be able to work in a job of my choosing, but I would not like to have to do any job, especially because I lacked skills or the ability to do office politics.

Any ban you got was not because of me.
  • Johnny CashJohnny Cash Posts: 1,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »

Not if you can convince the authorities that being odd entitles you to a lifetime of free handouts.
    Forum Member
    I would prefer to be healthy and be able to work in a job of my choosing, but I would not like to have to do any job, especially because I lacked skills or the ability to do office politics.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm happy to accept that any or all of your problems might prevent you from getting a job.
    Surely, in your case, being "healthy" would mean that you possessed the skills required to deal with office politics?

It seems, to me, that what you're doing is like a guy with no legs saying "Only an idiot walks around. It's much smarter to sit down all the time and use a wheelchair" and then, after being asked if he'd still hold that opinion if he had legs, the guy says "yeah, maybe, but maybe not" and then when all the flaws in that point of view are pointed out, responds by saying "But I've got no legs so I CAN'T walk!!!!"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't misunderstand me. I'm happy to accept that any or all of your problems might prevent you from getting a job.
    Surely, in your case, being "healthy" would mean that you possessed the skills required to deal with office politics?

It seems, to me, that what you're doing is like a guy with no legs saying "Only an idiot walks around. It's much smarter to sit down all the time and use a wheelchair" and then, after being asked if he'd still hold that opinion if he had legs, the guy says "yeah, maybe, but maybe not" and then when all the flaws in that point of view are pointed out, responds by saying "But I've got no legs so I CAN'T walk!!!!"

Because you are confusing reality with politics.

There is the real reason why I don't work and the political reason why I don't believe in working.

They are and can be two different things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Any ban you got was not because of me.

But you're not healthy and you're not able to work.

Bearing this in mind, do you think it's wise to constantly go on about societies expectactions around work? You've frequently suggested that society should bankroll you even though you don't work whilst advocating reasons why people should never work. You cannot empathise with those who do work so understandably, you won't be able to properly engage with any discussion about it.

Imagine I was disabled and had no legs. How would you feel if I was to claim I would love walk if I had legs, but alas, I have no legs so can't and instead accept hand-outs, then a few moments later state that those with legs shouldn't ever have to use their legs and should be expected to be carted around by other people...? Who ends up paying all these legless people? I know your disability so I'm not sure whether you'll be able to imagine this scenario and what the impact would be....

Edit: ooo, spooky. Si_Crewe makes a very similar point.....:eek:
    Forum Member

There is the real reason why I don't work and the political reason why I don't believe in working.

They are and can be too different things.

So you're saying that you'd have a moral objection to working even if you were able to?

That being the case, I'm not sure what the point of this thread is.

You've linked to a website where a guy is discussing alternatives to being a "wage slave" but they all require initiative, enterprise, perseverence and hard work.

That's somewhat at odds with your more usual opinion that the state should provide basic amenities for all citizens.

Have you had a change of heart?
    Are you embarking on some e-commerce business venture?
  • Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not if you can convince the authorities that being odd entitles you to a lifetime of free handouts.
    Is this what Koantemplation's recent threads have been about? The rules are changing and some might feel worried that their lives and livelihood are under threat if they haven't explored every avenue to find employment, thus they ask the good members of DS for help in finding suitable work only for every suggestion to be thrown out.
  • JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They are and can be two different things.

i would suggest that because you are disabled and dont think the way most people do that you formed the opinion that work is evil. or you've just plain given up on ever trying to overcome some of your problems and better yourself. perhaps you cant envisage ever feeling comfortable around people or feeling healthy that you've resigned yourself to this position. dont you have any drive or self respect to do something with your life?
  • Chelseafan101Chelseafan101 Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tess-g wrote: »
    Is this what Koantemplation's recent threads have been about? The rules are changing and some might feel worried that their lives and livelihood are under threat if they haven't explored every avenue to find employment, thus they ask the good members of DS for help in finding suitable work only for every suggestion to be thrown out.

Yes, but his criteria has been "to do as little as possible".

He's lucky his JCP advisor isn't a DS member.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    JamesC81 wrote: »
    i would suggest that because you are disabled and dont think the way most people do that you formed the opinion that work is evil. or you've just plain given up on ever trying to overcome some of your problems and better yourself. perhaps you cant envisage ever feeling comfortable around people or feeling healthy that you've resigned yourself to this position. dont you have any drive or self respect to do something with your life?

I don't consider working as 'doing something with my life'.

It doesn't give me self respect, and I have plenty of drive.

Just because I'm not in a job or have a wage doesn't mean I'm not doing something with my life.

I want to explore the universe of the mind, the physical universe means nothing to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but his criteria has been "to do as little as possible".

He's lucky his JCP advisor isn't a DS member.

I don't have a JCP advisor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take a shit load of acid then Koan. Wig out for a few years then get a fudging job! You can't have your cake and eat it...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,664
    Forum Member
    I don't have a JCP advisor.

if you aint on the sickness benefit like incap you will have, if you are on the sick you will have an advisor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So you're saying that you'd have a moral objection to working even if you were able to?

That being the case, I'm not sure what the point of this thread is.

You've linked to a website where a guy is discussing alternatives to being a "wage slave" but they all require initiative, enterprise, perseverence and hard work.

That's somewhat at odds with your more usual opinion that the state should provide basic amenities for all citizens.

Have you had a change of heart?
    Are you embarking on some e-commerce business venture?

I think you are trying to see conflict where there isn't any.

I can be against work but don't have to be against the idea of progress in terms of human knowledge.

It's like being against boiling heat, but not against warmth.
  • danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like a big baby crying because it doesn't want to do something. I'm unemployed and so far I've done a couple of night shifts and a weeks worth of day shifts (I've only been at New Deal for a few weeks) get up and do something with your life instead of just sitting around indoors. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are trying to see conflict where there isn't any.

I can be against work but don't have to be against the idea of progress in terms of human knowledge.

It's like being against boiling heat, but not against warmth.

...but without warmth (work), you cannot get boiling heat (benefits).