Options

Did the hype ruin Alice F's chances?

foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,392
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was no fan of her. I thought she was an Amy Winehouse-wannabee and The Voice were right to reject her.

But did all the negative hype scupper her chances of picking up the votes?

It seemed like she was trying to do damage-limitation in her VT, but it didn't really ring true.

She DID seem like two different people on TV and BGT - I think that's what people were put off by - the public aren't fools!

Its too bad if she really is genuine, but even then, she is average at best!!

Comments

• Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably, as it does with a lot of people that enter these shows. Shame really, but i guess you know what to expect when you decide to enter. Very few people have long lasting success.
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    foxy23 wrote: »
    ...Its too bad if she really is genuine, but even then, she is average at best!!

But, last night, on the night, her performance probably was the best. Admittedly there were some, (all?), pretty poor acts. Once or twice, in fact, even Walliams appeared to have more protential, that's a measure of how bad most of them were.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But, last night, on the night, her performance probably was the best. Admittedly there were some, (all?), pretty poor acts. Once or twice, in fact, even Walliams appeared to have more protential, that's a measure of how bad most of them were.

Exactly. There have been very few acts of any quality so far, and the whole show can only improve. Mind you i'm not holding my breath.
  • Options
    WickedPlansWickedPlans Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Exactly. There have been very few acts of any quality so far, and the whole show can only improve. Mind you i'm not holding my breath.

There have been no acts as yet, that have made me say, wow.
    They have ranged between dire, to ok, with a few pretty good ones, but nothing really impressive.

Let's hope it improves.
  • Options
    jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been no acts as yet, that have made me say, wow.
    They have ranged between dire, to ok, with a few pretty good ones, but nothing really impressive.

Let's hope it improves.

I am not really sure why there is even a show like "Britain got Talent".

There a few Variety shows that will ever showcase anyone talents. I know they get a slot at the Royal Variety, but that is really it.

Back in the day, the talents shows gave us Victoria Wood, Lenny Henry, Les Dennis and a lot of other acts as well. But we had a lot of Variety shows on the tv ie Sunday Night at the Palalium and I also vaguely remember one that was shown on a Sat nite, it was like a end of pier show.

There is really nothing for the majority of these performers unless of course they happen to be singers and they can perform on "The X Factor".

If that young comedian won what else could he appear in after the Royal Variety show!!
  • Options
    CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised she didn't get through. No woman her of her age group has ever reached the final on their own.
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    Her mistake was going ahead with the BGT audition after doing the Voice and getting rejected.

Had she left it for a year, she could have put a more positive spin on it..... e.g. "I was rejected and I was shattered - but I've gone and got some vocal coaching and worked on dealing with my nerves so I'm back for another go!"

Her other problem was that the edit shown on the Voice intro didn't make any mention of stage fright. waiting to sing she appeared relaxed and confident, and did her little shimmies while singing - no sign of nerves - and when talking to the coaches after her audition there was none of the tears and shakes. Having seen that, and then the BGT audition where she was suddenly this shrinking violet, she was asking for unfavourable comparisons. Given the producers love of sob stories, I'm sure if stage fright was an issue for Alice, the VT would have mentioned it, they didn't so I must admit I don't think it was mentioned!

That said - I detest Jazz, and don't like her choice of music, so I was never going to be a fan - but her performance last night was underwhelming, and all the skirt gripping and tears were just a bit OTT - the composure of the youngsters really showed her up last night.

If stage fright and nerves are an issue for you - don't enter nationwide talent shows!
  • Options
    CranberryappleCranberryapple Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did the hype ruin Alice F's chances?

Most definitely.
    I never knew about her audition for The Voice until I read somewhere they had rejected her. I then saw her on BGT and thought she had a great voice but was somewhat over acting the 'wallflower'.. Still, nerves and all that...

I then saw her on The Voice and couldn't believe it was the same Girl:eek:

Shallow as it sounds, but I decided she was putting all the shy business on and that's what it looks like a good few others think. Shame as she's not exactly done anybody any harm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know Alice? Of course you dont, so how do you know what kind of person she is without meeting or speaking to her. Some people on here are unbelieveable.
  • Options
    CranberryappleCranberryapple Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you know Alice? Of course you dont, so how do you know what kind of person she is without meeting or speaking to her. Some people on here are unbelieveable.

Do you know her?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing her COMPLETELY different on The Voice damaged her credibility, but she could have got over it if she hadn't appeared so fake last night. Whether her nerves and shyness were genuine or not, none of us know, but they certainly appeared like amateur dramatics.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I think the fact she just wasn't any good, very mediocre singer given a bad song and sung like a pissed bridesmaid at a wedding she was never going to get through, no matter how much Simon Cowell bangs on about Liquid Platinum :P
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All 4 judges liked her, so are you saying that they dont know what they are doing?
  • Options
    charmarrcharmarr Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its all a big con.
    I bet she is back as the wild card.
    Cowell would love nothing more than to get one up on the Voice.
    Think of the publicity the show will get.
    When will the gullable viewers who waste their money on phone calls giving millionaires more money realise........
    ITS ALL STAGE MANAGED?
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    No! Ruining a classic standard and daring to think she was as good as the greats who have done it before, ruined her chances.
  • Options
    jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All 4 judges liked her, so are you saying that they dont know what they are doing?

And yet four judges on the voice did not really like her!!!
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know there was that much hype, i don't keep up to date with all that stuff. I think she ruined her chances herself with her performance last night, seriously she looked drunk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They would not allow any contestant to perform on there if they were drunk as it would ruin the reputation of the show.
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The point is, we don't know her personally. We have to judge her based on how she comes across on TV. Unfortunately, she came across as two completely different people on The Voice and BGT, so viewers were understandably confused. Then to top it all, her performance last night was woeful! She seemed drunk, slurring her way through the song, forgetting words, then disappearing afterwards. It was just bizarre!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her performance last night was'nt the best admitted, but she showed enough with her first audition to suggest she could have a decent future.
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think she was very good last night at all. Not only forgetting words but slurring others and out of tune a lot too. :o
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Alice, it's too bad people vote in droves for child acts regardless of how good they are. In my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with you there. It would be better if they had an under 16s version of the show seperate from the current show.
  • Options
    LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She just wasn't good enough.
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say it was more controversy that did her in than hype. I thought she was pretty good actually, but the whole drama about her totally different audition on the Voice, coupled with a nervy performance on the night really did her in.