Options

Prominent Scientists Sign Declaration that Animals have Conscious Awareness

IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
Forum Member
"An international group of prominent scientists has signed The Cambridge Declaration of Consciousness in which they are proclaiming their support for the idea that animals are conscious and aware to the degree that humans are — a list of animals that includes all mammals, birds, and even the octopus."

More here:

http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/dvorsky201208251

Comments

• Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who owns a cat could have told you that.
  • Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Anyone who owns a cat could have told you that.

As a pet owner I'm not disagreeing at all - just noticed the headline and thought it worthy of note. :)
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »
    As a pet owner I'm not disagreeing at all - just noticed the headline and thought it worthy of note. :)

I agree. :)
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No shit Sherlock.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a terrifying thought if it's true, with the horrors that animals face at the hands of humans :(
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    The idea that it took four billion years of evolution to reach the point where one species spontaneously developed consciousness, is absurd.

Any animal that demonstrates an ability to plan ahead, must be conscious to some degree.

BTW I'm a bit puzzled by the "even the octopus" bit ... they've been shown to be highly intelligent for a while now -- in some respects exceeding the brainpower of cats and dogs.
  • Options
    ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not clear what they mean by consciousness and the site in the handy link is couched in obscure expressions like this

Studies of non-human animals have shown that homologous brain circuits correlated with conscious experience and perception can be selectively facilitated and disrupted to assess whether they are in fact necessary for those experiences
  • Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always known that animals have feelings, just like us.

My dog's get jealous if I shout one of them and give one particular dog all the attention, the others will come over and push my hand with their nose to try and get my attention. My dog's can use the process of elimination with a simple thing as 'shake-a-paw', normally, it will react to "The other one" with a predetermined paw, but when you switch them, "The other one" becomes the paw which it hasn't given to you.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And in other headline news today, it has been discovered that bears shit in the woods, that the Pope is Catholic and that Alan Carr is a little bit camp.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does this mean that animals aren't allowed to eat other animals?
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't really say much. It's almost suggesting this idea an animal is conscious is some sort of savoured buzzword. It's what anyone knew anyway, but as we do, as any animal does is prioritises their own species. A tiger going after a deer, prioritises itself for survival. So what does this change?
  • Options
    cyber_davcyber_dav Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bugloss wrote: »
    does this mean that animals aren't allowed to eat other animals?

Only if they tidy up afterwards
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had to wait for scientists to tell us this? It took them long enough. lol.
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    Well, they told us it last year. We then had to wait a year for the OP to pass it on...
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianx wrote: »
    Well, they told us it last year. We then had to wait a year for the OP to pass it on...

:D Ah, ok, but still....
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ffawkes wrote: »
    It's not clear what they mean by consciousness..

It's not clear what anyone means by consciousness. Seems to be a flexible term.
  • Options
    Dwight WrightDwight Wright Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always thought that our shameful knowledge of animals and how they feel/think will be what folks look back at in 200 years and shake their heads like we do at burning witches
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heh heh, reminds me of an argument I with a colleague. Despite being an atheist believer in evolution, he still pig headedly insisted that humans are are separate 'special' species who are therefore more important than any other animal.

We just pulled more useful tools out of the evolutionary bag, that's all. We evolved and one day we'll be extinct, just like everything else on this rock. I'd much rather be a cat - they have it sweeeeet.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    We all knew this, obviously animals have awareness.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »
    We all knew this, obviously animals have awareness.

Do plants or creatures in other kingdoms?
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's more important is the value we place on consciousness.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »
    "An international group of prominent scientists has signed The Cambridge Declaration of Consciousness in which they are proclaiming their support for the idea that animals are conscious and aware to the degree that humans are — a list of animals that includes all mammals, birds, and even the octopus."

More here:

http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/dvorsky201208251

What the does that even mean? Are they aware of their physical surroundings? Obviously
    Do they have a sense of self and understand that other individuals have a sense of self just like them too? Not necessarily considering research has suggested that not even humans before the age of 3 or 4 are capable of this.

But then again, this area of study is very difficult to research so maybe other animals are sentient.
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    It's not clear what anyone means by consciousness. Seems to be a flexible term.

I know what you mean. I've seen definitions such as "the universe is consciousness" or "life is consciousness" or other such phrases which make little sense.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Do plants or creatures in other kingdoms?

We don't know yet, we may never know, at the moment scientists don't think so I think. I'm not convinced either way though, we know trees, plants, fungi etc.. are alive, and compete with each other. Their way of existence is too different to ours to know for sure maybe?
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prof Alice Roberts said that humans saying "We're special and separate from all other animals because we're so much smarter" is equivalent to a peacock saying "We're special and separate from all other animals because we have such more vibrant and colourful tails" (provided they could actually talk) and I couldn't agree more. Just because we are capable of efficient communication, solving problems, understanding how other members of our own species feel or think and understanding the concept of the future and planning ahead does not mean we are the pinnacle of evolution. We just happen to have been highly successful; which is hardly a surprise considering our species evolved in one of the harshest and most changeable environments on Earth. Those who couldn't plan ahead or solve problems weren't likely to live long. Anyway, as history has shown us time and time again, success never lasts forever.