International Cricket 2014

dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,991
Forum Member
✭✭
A Happy And Successful New Year to all

2014 started off with a world record in the 3rd ODI in New Zealand in a rain affected game reduced to 21 over

From cricinfo

New Zealand went nuclear on New Year's Day. After more than five hours of waiting for the weather to clear, Corey Anderson began 2014 by treating patient spectators to the fastest century in one-day cricket. He scored it off 36 balls, beating Afridi's record by one delivery, to lead New Zealand to 283 in a 21 over game. Ryder's century, in his second game after returning to the national side, was the sixth fastest in ODIs. The West Indies' chase was academic.

"Hope Cricinfo archive this match as Anderson Vs WI and Anderson won the match by 7 runs"

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Great to see Jesse Ryder back for New Zealand. Some amazing batting and quite dreadful bowling figures !
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    must have been some innings , not sure its entirely fair to call it fastest ODI century ever in what was effectively a t20 tho

they wouldn't have batted as aggressively as that if it had been a full 50 over match
  • dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    must have been some innings , not sure its entirely fair to call it fastest ODI century ever in what was effectively a t20 tho

they wouldn't have batted as aggressively as that if it had been a full 50 over match

It's a fair point but I think a lot has to do with the West Indies attitude. I don't think they were expecting to play after a 5 hour delay
    Darren Sammy pulled/strained a hamstring when they were messing about on a wet outfield before the scheduled start. Makes me wonder if they had prepped properly or had been welcoming the New Year in :D

Also, in the Big Bash what a start to the New Year for Owais Shah

1st ball duck and dropped the easiest catch I think I've ever seen !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monty doubtful for the 5th Test with a calf issue
    Could be a debut for Borthwick
  • Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's amazing that New Zealand scored 283 in just 21 overs considering that after 10 overs they were 104/3. They scored 179 in the last 11 overs!

Absolutely ridiculous.
  • James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's amazing that New Zealand scored 283 in just 21 overs considering that after 10 overs they were 104/3. They scored 179 in the last 11 overs!

Absolutely ridiculous.

Maybe they were just playing themselves in early in the innings..:D
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pakistan going well against Sri Lanka
    211/3 with Younis and Misbah going well

3rd time they have batted together against Sri Lanka in tests and the 3rd 100+ partnership
    Forum Member
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    Monty doubtful for the 5th Test with a calf issue
    Could be a debut for Borthwick

I get the impression they weren't keen to pick him anyway , especially after how little trust cook seemed to have in him during the last game

be a lot of pressure on borthwick's bowling tho as he is probably more of a batsman than a bowler these days and the aussies will go after him
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching the big bash and Wade has just got a huge edge through to the keeper and stood there and given not out.
    Warner is in the commentary box and said it was up to the umpire to give him (failed to add unless you're Stuart Broad !)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Warner in the comms box and talking about Stuart Broad
    Doesn't walk and takes every review possible but now he's facing Mitchell Johnson he's running off the pitch back into the Pavillion !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    I get the impression they weren't keen to pick him anyway , especially after how little trust cook seemed to have in him during the last game

be a lot of pressure on borthwick's bowling tho as he is probably more of a batsman than a bowler these days and the aussies will go after him

Yeh, hope he doesn't experience what Kerrigan did at the Oval

Wonder if it's a 'convenient' injury ?
    Forum Member
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    Warner in the comms box and talking about Stuart Broad
    Doesn't walk and takes every review possible but now he's facing Mitchell Johnson he's running off the pitch back into the Pavillion !

a good example of why swann made the comments he made

what he said is maybe right but its pretty unprofessional to be slagging off an opponent like that when hes been hired as a commentator for the BBL imo
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    Just watching the big bash and Wade has just got a huge edge through to the keeper and stood there and given not out.
    Warner is in the commentary box and said it was up to the umpire to give him (failed to add unless you're Stuart Broad !)

Wade was just out for 44 and he was interviewed on the boundary and when asked if he edged the ball (he was on 0 at the time) he said Yes, I might have scratched that one but I'm not walking !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unusual moment in the Big Bash game
    Batsman hit the ball back to the bowler, Dilshan, who threw it at the stumps . Dave Hussey was out of his ground. The bails jumped up and lit up but they fell back into place so he was not out !,
    Amazing
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    My team for the last test would be.

Cook, Root, Bell, Pieterson, Ballance, Borthwick,Stokes, Bairstow,Broad, Anderson,Rankin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cantos wrote: »
    My team for the last test would be.

Cook, Root, Bell, Pieterson, Ballance, Borthwick,Stokes, Bairstow,Broad, Anderson,Rankin.

Are you sure it's not your B team ..:D?

Agree with the X1 but not the order
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    davethecue wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not your B team ..:D?

Agree ith the X1 but not the order

I better replace Anderson with Bresnan then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cantos wrote: »
    I better replace Anderson with Bresnan then.

Good Call
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    And bring Boycott out of retirement? :D

(at the very least he could replace Gooch as the Batting Boffin)
  • hannahhannah Posts: 13,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really hope this year is better for England :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading Cricinfo , it seems likely that Borthwick will play and possibly Rankin and Ballance as well

The fast bowler Boyd Rankin and the middle-order batsman Garry Ballance are also pushing for inclusion. If all three play, it will be the first time England have had three debutants in the same Test since Nagpur in March 2006 when Monty Panesar, Ian Blackwell and Alastair Cook all won their first caps.

2 of those have had good careers for England. Lets hope it's an omen
  • Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd go:
    Cook
    Carberry
    Bell
    Pietersen
    Ballance
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Borthwick
    Broad
    Anderson
    Rankin

Although with our selectors and the dynamic duo of Cook and Flower we'll pick the least logical team we possibly can with the squad we've got so who knows what we'll end up with.
  • RoryWatchesTVRoryWatchesTV Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    England badly need to turn around their form...
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sabre92 wrote: »
    ...Although with our selectors and the dynamic duo of Cook and Flower we'll pick the least logical team we possibly can with the squad we've got so who knows what we'll end up with.
    As we know Bairstow and Root were Flower favourites.

Obviously they will persevere with Bairstow in trying to edge Prior out. Cooks interview pretty much said Prior is dropped for the long term. Incredibly, in T4 Cook appeared to be trying to prime Root as a main spin bowler.
    Certainly no sign of any calf strain for Bairstow.
    :rolleyes:

I'm not sure I want Borthwick playing. His prime role at Durham is batting so any reversing of that role for England is probably not such a good thing as far as Durham is concerned.
    Forum Member
    quite funny looking at the possible sides for tonights game and comparing them to the Sydney test just three years ago

Australia were supposedly in disarray at the time whereas England were solid

tonight we could see England line up with just 4 of the side that played in the game , but Australia with 6 of theirs
This discussion has been closed.