Options

Rugby League 2014

tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
Forum Member
New Year, New RL Thread.

Continued from the 2013 thread. >>> http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1783149&page=32

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    Super League to become a 12 team competition from 2015
    Super League will become a 12-team competition from 2015 after the 14 member clubs today backed plans to introduce an innovative new league structure.

From next year, Rugby League’s elite competition will feature 12 clubs alongside a 12-team Championship that splits into three groups of eight.

At a meeting in St Helens, the clubs voted unanimously to return promotion and relegation and pledged their support to the proposed structure which is a central tenet of the RFL’s Policy Review.

Super League (Europe) Chairman Brian Barwick said: “I would like to thank the clubs for their contribution to what was a very fruitful and positive meeting.

“The clubs were unanimous in their view that Super League should become a 12-team competition from 2015 and that there should be meaningful movement between Super League and the Championships.

http://www.superleague.co.uk/article/29347/super-league-to-become-a

No mention of Championship 1, though I assume that will be 12 or 13 teams with P&R to The Championship
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    Super League to become a 12 team competition from 2015

http://www.superleague.co.uk/article/29347/super-league-to-become-a

No mention of Championship 1, though I assume that will be 12 or 13 teams with P&R to The Championship

There is. Paragraph 2
  • Options
    tonypennystonypennys Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    There is. Paragraph 2

Yes it will , 4 sides will get relegated from championship to champ 1
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    cant believe they are going with this stupid splitting the league into three groups of eight.

The fans do not want this.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    cant believe they are going with this stupid splitting the league into three groups of eight.

I was thinking of starting watching club rugby league after the runaway success of the World Cup, which I really enjoyed....

But I don't understand this at all

How many teams will be the top division - 12 or 8 ?

BTW.....when does the season start ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kobashi100 wrote: »

Crazy idea , the money difference between SL and champ is huge , Barwick has no idea how the game should be run , they are making more games and trying to make excitement but all you will get is confusion and some big hammering s , how the money will be split ive no idea

For me bottom club in league gets relegated the winner of the grand final promoted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I was thinking of starting watching club rugby league after the runaway success of the World Cup, which I really enjoyed....

But I don't understand this at all

How many teams will be the top division - 12 or 8 ?

BTW.....when does the season start ?

Super League this year will have 14, its next season it changes to 12.

The season starts early Feb, the first lot of friendlies start tomorrow
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Super League this year will have 14, its next season it changes to 12.

but it says .......3 divisions of 8 teams......so presumably there'll be 8 teams in the top division, not 12.....:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    but it says .......3 divisions of 8 teams......so presumably there'll be 8 teams in the top division, not 12.....:confused:

no for the first 23 games it will be 12 teams , then after that it will be split into 3 leagues of 8:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still not cast in stone yet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Found a couple of good RL comps we could do if people are interested

One is a prediction league and the other is a fantasy XIII league. Both on the same site

what do you reckon ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Found a couple of good RL comps we could do if people are interested

One is a prediction league and the other is a fantasy XIII league. Both on the same site

what do you reckon ?

im running this one if your interested
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1931066

If any RL followers want to enter your more than welcome too
    the more the merrier darren , i will enter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the one Tony, didn't see your post, I will join that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's the one Tony, didn't see your post, I will join that

Thanks Darren
  • Options
    MadsocksMadsocks Posts: 3,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Super League title sponsor is First Utility.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madsocks wrote: »
    New Super League title sponsor is First Utility.

So it's going to be the FU Super League, then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fixtured for the 2014 Magic Weekend have been revealed, and are as follows;

Saturday May 17

12.30 - London Broncos v Catalan Dragons
    2.45 - Widnes Vikings v Salford Red Devils

5.00 - Hull Kingston Rovers v Hull FC
    7.15 - Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos

Sunday May 18
    12.30 - Wakefield Trinity Wildcats v Castleford Tigers
    2.45 - Huddersfield Giants v Bradford Bulls
    5.00 - Warrington Wolves v St Helens
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fixtured for the 2014 Magic Weekend have been revealed, and are as follows;

Saturday May 17

12.30 - London Broncos v Catalan Dragons
    2.45 - Widnes Vikings v Salford Red Devils

5.00 - Hull Kingston Rovers v Hull FC
    7.15 - Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos

Sunday May 18
    12.30 - Wakefield Trinity Wildcats v Castleford Tigers
    2.45 - Huddersfield Giants v Bradford Bulls
    5.00 - Warrington Wolves v St Helens

Hopefully in 2015 this becomes a 9's event like the Auckland 9's. Magic weekender has ran its course now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Hopefully in 2015 this becomes a 9's event like the Auckland 9's. Magic weekender has ran its course now.

It will still be a full Super League round in 2015, The Championship is also to have their own Magic Weekend as well after the restructure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    First run out for Hull KR in the traditional pre season derby match against Hull FC at The KC Stadium in front of 10,000 fans.

Both teams rotated virtually their entire first teams squads through the game which Hull FC eventually won by 20-12.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First run out for Hull KR in the traditional pre season derby match against Hull FC at The KC Stadium in front of 10,000 fans.

Both teams rotated virtually their entire first teams squads through the game which Hull FC eventually won by 20-12.

Friendly. Not important. No bragging rights to Hull FC at all. AT ALL I TELL YOU :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hull appears to be the only city or town with 2 top level teams

How does that work out as far as support goes ?.....does it depend on which part of the city you're from ?

I've been reading up about the fixtures.....I don't get this magic weekend thing. It seems that they all play each other home and away and this magic weekend is an additional one-off fixture. Does it count for points in the League ?......how do they decide who plays who ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hull appears to be the only city or town with 2 top level teams.
    How does that work out as far as support goes ?.....does it depend on which part of the city you're from?
    The city is split straight down the middle by The River Hull. Traditionally those from the West of the River support Hull FC and those from the East support Hull KR. Over recent years with population movement across the city it is now more mixed, however the clubs heartlands are still on their respective sides of the river.
    I've been reading up about the fixtures.....I don't get this magic weekend thing. It seems that they all play each other home and away and this magic weekend is an additional one-off fixture. Does it count for points in the League ?......how do they decide who plays who ?

The games do count 2 points towards the Super League table. This year the fixtures have been allocated to make the most competitive games, including a few local derbies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The city is split straight down the middle by The River Hull. Traditionally those from the West of the River support Hull FC and those from the East support Hull KR. Over recent years with population movement across the city it is now more mixed, however the clubs heartlands are still on their respective sides of the river.

The games do count 2 points towards the Super League table. This year the fixtures have been allocated to make the most competitive games, including a few local derbies.

thanks for the Hull info !

Seems a bit unfair to count the points.....some poor team is going to end up playing the top team 3 times whilst teams that might be their relegation or title rivals could be playing a much easier team

Imagine if they tried to pull that one in football with West ham and Palace at the bottom of the table and the powers that be decided West Ham would play Man City and Palace would play Norwich......with points counting in the League. There'd be court cases !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both Hull clubs get well supported. In fact there was a time when both Rovers and the black and white shite got bigger crowds than Hull City. But of course that is different now City are in the Premier League.

I was actually born in West Hull in the street next to Boulevard which is were Hull FC used to play. First game I ever went to was Hull FC V St Helens but I wasn't that keen. Anyway in 1979, after we had moved, I went to a Rovers game ( v Hunslet ) with a schoolmate of mine. I loved it and fell instantly in love with the game. Of course in 1980 Hull played Rovers at Wembley in the Challenge Cup Final. What a day, the whole city just went mad. "Last one out turn the lights out" said the signs on the M62.

I now live back in West Hull but am still a Rovers supporter although my dad is a Hull FC season ticket holder.