Options

What is a 'good age' to live to these days?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,200
    Forum Member
    Thanks for sharing all that Walter :)

My pleasure! :)

I just want those who are worrying that their life is over at 50 to realise that it can be just wonderful as you get older. The last 25 years have for me been so much better than my first 50.
  • Options
    alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    luckylila wrote: »
    What do you mean 'average' (mode, median or mean?) and where are you getting that figure of 80 from?

The most common age of death is currently 85 for men and 89 for women (in England & Wales). That's the figures from the Office for National Statistics for 2010.
    In 2012 period life expectancy at birth in the UK was 79.0 for males and 82.7 for females.

Source:
    http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/lifetables/historic-and-projected-data-from-the-period-and-cohort-life-tables/2012-based/index.html

So poster was correct.

Science says we shuld live to 90 but the NHS and the Gov Say no, Your to old to have that op your time is up! >:(

Expect that number to be lower again in 3 years time.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    I think nowadays that 80 is a 'good age' and anything beyond that is a bonus.
    Yes, 80 is the age that automatically sprang to mind when I read the thread title.

My mother was 55, my maternal grandparents were both 62, my paternal grandfather was 70 and my paternal grandmother was 72, so not a great family history. But my wonderful dad is now 78 and still kicking, so giving us all a little hope for the future.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mrscee wrote: »
    My parents died at 42. My oldest brother at 45. I'm 42 and said if I reach 50 I'll be outside doing cartwheels.

Not in the road, I hope.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was the same, I joined my local gym the day after I retired, took part in my first 10K aged 70, and my first local 26 mile marathon at 74. I never thought that at the age of nearly 77 that I would have 12 medals and two trophies. My latest medal was for completing last years London Marathon, and the trophies for being the oldest runner out of 700 in my last two 10K runs.

Even at my age I always look forward, even if it is only my next 10K on my 77th birthday next month. I look around at people of my age and I just can't identify with them, they all seem to be so old.

I did get an ego boost last year when my local newspaper gave me the title of "Faversham's fittest pensioner" :)

You can read the article if you Google that.

You have an amazing attitude Walter! Have you always been this positive?
    Great post! :)
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Imo a good age to live to is one where you still feel comfortable and happy.

Ive seen people in their hundreds who appear to be in their 70s and cant believe how old they are! Fully independant and their mind is as sharp as ever.

On the flip side ive seen people in their 60s completely dependant on other people to do everything and no clue who they are or where they are.

Theres so much focus nowadays on keeping people alive for as long as possible that sometimes too much emphasis is put on the quantity of life rather than the quality. When my grandad died in his early 70s everyone kept commenting how young that is nowadays and he was gone before his time etc. nobody seemed to notice that he was almost housebound and had regular heart attacks before his death so for him to have another 20 years of that to look forward to wouldnt have been that nice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    You have an amazing attitude Walter! Have you always been this positive?
    Great post! :)

No, I must be honest, I was a miserable little sod when I was young. ;-)

My favourite quote is from George Bernard Shaw, "Youth is wasted on the young"

That is so true, and without wanting to sound like a combination of Pollyanna and Mary Poppins, I just have so much to be thankful for. I have a nice home in a beautiful part of Kent, good friends, and thankfully, good health.

Two years ago I was in hospital with an abscess on my liver, and convinced that I had Cancer. Within just four days they had shrunk the abscess with antibiotics and I was back home. My doctor told me that my body had responded so rapidly to the drugs because I was in such great physical condition. I felt that I had been given a new lease of life and made a vow that I would make the most of the rest of my life.

My recipe for a contented life is all make sure that you always have something to look forward to.

For myself, it is to take part in the 2017 London Marathon in my 80th year. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I must be honest, I was a miserable little sod when I was young. ;-)

My favourite quote is from George Bernard Shaw, "Youth is wasted on the young"

That is so true, and without wanting to sound like a combination of Pollyanna and Mary Poppins, I just have so much to be thankful for. I have a nice home in a beautiful part of Kent, good friends, and thankfully, good health.

Two years ago I was in hospital with an abscess on my liver, and convinced that I had Cancer. Within just four days they had shrunk the abscess with antibiotics and I was back home. My doctor told me that my body had responded so rapidly to the drugs because I was in such great physical condition. I felt that I had been given a new lease of life and made a vow that I would make the most of the rest of my life.

My recipe for a contented life is all make sure that you always have something to look forward to.

For myself, it is to take part in the 2017 London Marathon in my 80th year. :D

I'm glad to hear that its something you developed I'm currently working on a mid life crisis and your posts have cheered me up! Thank you! :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm glad to hear that its something you developed I'm currently working on a mid life crisis and your posts have cheered me up! Thank you! :-)

I am glad that they helped. :)

I have had my low moments, it took time for me to reach this tranquil state, but keep positive and make sure that your glass is always half full, and you will be fine. :)
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are in reasonable health then as long as you can manage.:)

My Mum is nearly 90 and she still enjoys life and gets out and about.
  • Options
    krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    krytenk wrote: »
    My Nan is 98. She's still fiercely independent, and lives alone in the house she bought when she married Grandad. She's still pretty healthy, but is beginning to get very forgetful, meaning my mum has to go in to see her every day to make sure she takes her tablets. She (Nan) is also very lonely, and after the sudden death of my uncle in January (her son in law) quite depressed. She refuses to go in to a home, or to have carers visit her, which means my poor mum has to cope with everything (my aunt has her own major health issues, not to mention the grief of losing her husband). Frankly, it's no life for either of them. The only time Mum gets a break is when Dad manages to drag her away for a long weekend somewhere - and he can't persuade her to do that very often. On the rare occasions they do get away for a few days, I do the 70 mile round trip each morning to make sure Nan takes her tablets, so that Mum can truly relax a bit.

So, to answer the original question, 98 is definitely a "good age", but so far as quality of life goes, it really sucks.

Really wishing I hadn't replied to this now. Found out earlier that Nan fell down her stairs last night and was taken to St Mary's in Paddington with a bleed on the brain and they've now also found cancer. She's unconscious, so in no pain, which I'll be forever grateful for, but we've been told it's just a waiting game now. It could be tonight, it could be in a week. Sunday would have been Grandad's birthday, something tells me she'll hold on for that.

I know my post was just bad timing, but now I feel almost like I was wishing her dead. I really hope she understands.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really wishing I hadn't replied to this now. Found out earlier that Nan fell down her stairs last night and was taken to St Mary's in Paddington with a bleed on the brain and they've now also found cancer. She's unconscious, so in no pain, which I'll be forever grateful for, but we've been told it's just a waiting game now. It could be tonight, it could be in a week. Sunday would have been Grandad's birthday, something tells me she'll hold on for that.

I know my post was just bad timing, but now I feel almost like I was wishing her dead. I really hope she understands.

So sorry to read all that krytenk, all the best to you x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    really sorry to read that Krytenk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My hubby visited a lady the other day who he'd never met before. Turns out she was 94 and just on her way out to work!!! She still goes out to her cleaning job which she's done for years and years. They left the house together and she shot down the path ahead of him!:D:D
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sorry krytenk x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My heart goes out to you. It's so difficult either way and I know exactly what you meant. Don't be hard on yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am glad that they helped. :)

I have had my low moments, it took time for me to reach this tranquil state, but keep positive and make sure that your glass is always half full, and you will be fine. :)

I'll try! :)
  • Options
    krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My heart goes out to you. It's so difficult either way and I know exactly what you meant. Don't be hard on yourself.

Thank you - and thank you everyone else for your comments too. We spent the evening at my parents house, which helped us all I think. Nan's not conscious or aware of anything, which can only be a good thing. It's just a waiting game now :(
  • Options
    hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    realwales wrote: »
    My grandmother will soon be 89 and is in declining health. I am almost, but not quite, at the stage where I think it would be kinder if she was taken from us sooner rather than later.

What do people consider a 'good age' to be nowadays?

My paternal grandfather lived to 78 and my dad said at the time it was a 'good age', but when we sold his house, the buyer said, "That's not ancient, is it?". I thought it was a reasonable, but not spectacular age that the time.

I think nowadays that 80 is a 'good age' and anything beyond that is a bonus.

I'm noticing that often (but by no means always) nowadays, it's quite normal for people to remain very sprightly throughout their 70s, but to then begin to go downhill from their 80s onwards. Very few people in their late 80s, into their 90s, are still in good health. They are very much the exception. They may be 'existing' but usually don't have a very good quality of life.

Both of my grandparents lived in to their nineties.
    My husbands father lived to his nineties..
    I don't want to live that long.
    In this day and age when theres pension worry and no safety net for people that work and save I honestly think its better now to never have worked a day in your life.
    You'll be better took care of than a person that has worked all their days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you - and thank you everyone else for your comments too. We spent the evening at my parents house, which helped us all I think. Nan's not conscious or aware of anything, which can only be a good thing. It's just a waiting game now :(

So sorry to hear that. It comes to us all but that's no comfort. Take care.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I know what you are going though. It's hard to rationalise anything when a loved one is involved. Best wishes in these trying times.
  • Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My latest medal was for completing last years London Marathon, and the trophies for being the oldest runner out of 700 in my last two 10K runs.
    I did get an ego boost last year when my local newspaper gave me the title of "Faversham's fittest pensioner" :)

You can read the article if you Google that.
    Oh I remember your London Marathon - you were getting heaps of support on here, weren't you? Hats off to you Walter, you are very inspirational indeed :kitty:

On a side note (and totally off topic) - I fell in love with your location at the tender age of 8 when we went on holiday there.
    Faversham is lovely - I vividly remember the smell of fresh hops as well as a very friendly local driving 5 miles along with us to reach our destination because we got thoroughly lost on a little side road. One of my best holidays ever.