Options

Christina Marie will rise above not winning

MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
Forum Member
She has the voice and overall package and will do just fine

We all know that winning guarantees you nothing!

Jermaine had 2 shoddy songs and his last and wills speech probably helped him across the line, pity vote IMO

Shame that the running order wasn't the other way round hmmm

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect she was delighted not to win, seeing what happened to the previous winners. in fact, I don't know why any half decent singer would go on a talent show like this or the X Factor, if they have any integrity.
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    She'll do alright, I was a big fan of hers at first, but when listened to her from a musicians aspect, I could easily notice her flaws which may have cost her when it came to votes. Jermaine was simply flawless on the final song obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABauzZBx5q8 - 1:48 in, Christina really shouldn't of done that, she overran the vocal to the point where she missed a beat when it came to timing which highlights a lack of control.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would hope she does rise above not winning, I am sure she is no sore loser and will learn from the experience.
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    She'll do alright, I was a big fan of hers at first, but when listened to her from a musicians aspect, I could easily notice her flaws which may have cost her when it came to votes. Jermaine was simply flawless on the final song obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABauzZBx5q8 - 1:48 in, Christina really shouldn't of done that, she overran the vocal to the point where she missed a beat when it came to timing which highlights a lack of control.

Wow I couldn't fault her, I love when a singer makes me not worry if they will miss a note and for me she nailed everything

Better than Sam Bailey IMO
  • Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a tough industry to make money in , unless she is signed up it will be tough I think. Eg She doesn't write songs herself. Any album will need funding. She could tour more from this, maybe a few of the acts should get together and tour together?
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wanted Cristina to win but have no problems with Jermaine actually doing it, besides winning these shows is usually a poisoned chalice with many runners up actually doing better than the winners.
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sheikaman wrote: »
    I suspect she was delighted not to win, seeing what happened to the previous winners. in fact, I don't know why any half decent singer would go on a talent show like this or the X Factor, if they have any integrity.

Well at least all the acts can sing on The Voice. But I do hope she does well, her voice is too good too waste. But the track record for this show isn't great so I am slightly worried :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did she quit her job?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she will join the kaiser chiefs
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christina is not a bad singer, but personally i thought Celestine and Sophie were the best of the female contestants this year.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Totally agree:). That is could be why these type of reality shows are losing viewers both here and in the States.
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The viewing figures on The Voice are up this year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jermaine had 2 shoddy songs and his last and wills speech probably helped him across the line, pity vote IMO

I'm pretty sure that we will never see her on our screens again tbh.
    She was nothing special as a singer and she lacked one of the main components required for success . Likability .
  • Options
    TheBlueOneTheBlueOne Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we'll see how sincere Ricky was as a mentor now. He always built it up that he'll 'fight' for his acts post-show, but will he lose interest in her now Kaiser Chiefs are having a little comeback? I get the impression that he won't be as fervent in his support for her as will.i.am is for Leah McFall (and probably will be for Sophie and Jermain)
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she's got great talent but needs experience to know when and how to use it. She often seems incapable of singing at anything but full belt and whilst that is impressive it's more so when used at the right time.
  • Options
    secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexis07 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that we will never see her on our screens again tbh.
    She was nothing special as a singer and she lacked one of the main components required for success . Likability .

I agree.

I like Frankies "The power of love" and she certainly spoilt it for me.
  • Options
    NosaerNosaer Posts: 3,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she will do OK as a jobbing singer, cruise ships and the like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I think she's got great talent but needs experience to know when and how to use it. She often seems incapable of singing at anything but full belt and whilst that is impressive it's more so when used at the right time.

I've seen this comment a few times, about Christina only 'shouting' or 'belting out' her songs. It's quite wrong. You only need to watch last night's performances again and you will clearly see how she changes tone and volume to suit the emotional level of the words.

Light and shade, that seems to be the phrase everybody is using. I saw plenty of light and shade. She's not Picasso, though, she's a singer. So it's not as simple as changing the way you use a pencil.

I thought Christina sang very well with the Kaiser Chiefs. But I don't know why anybody would expect Ricky to remain involved in her career. He got paid to do a job and he did it. He's not record producer like WilldotIdotam.
  • Options
    maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christina doesn't just belt out everything. She didn't belt out Fix You and also Power of Love had plenty of light and shade especially at the start. I think she's got everything needed to be a successful artist. She's only 20 so I wouldn't expect it to happen overnight.

Some people have criticised her personality but shy and retiring wouldn't get her far when she is knocking on doors trying to get on in the music industry. She needs to be outgoing and confident. Unlike Leanne who didn't seem to want to push herself forward to improve her career, I think Christina will work hard at it.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The viewing figures on The Voice are up this year.

Not for the final. Lowest of all three years.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen this comment a few times, about Christina only 'shouting' or 'belting out' her songs. It's quite wrong. You only need to watch last night's performances again and you will clearly see how she changes tone and volume to suit the emotional level of the words.

Sorry, don't agree at all. She goes too big too soon. It's something she needs assistance with and something experience will help with. I suspect it's because she does, underneath it all, lack a bit of confidence and feel like if she's not giving it everything people will lose interest. Hope she gets good advice from people who really understand performing, not just singing.

A good analogy is gymnast who has one really brilliant move - do it all the time and it doesn't become special though. I don't think she's mixed it up enough. I don't blame her for this but it's the sort of constructive criticism that she should be getting.
  • Options
    *Laura**Laura* Posts: 45,152
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Sorry, don't agree at all. She goes too big too soon. It's something she needs assistance with and something experience will help with. I suspect it's because she does, underneath it all, lack a bit of confidence and feel like if she's not giving it everything people will lose interest. Hope she gets good advice from people who really understand performing, not just singing.

A good analogy is gymnast who has one really brilliant move - do it all the time and it doesn't become special though. I don't think she's mixed it up enough. I don't blame her for this but it's the sort of constructive criticism that she should be getting.

Totally agree. :)

We saw her use subtlety in her BR but once she got to the lives she just seemed to be VERY loud! I think Ricky may have let her down a little there because he seemed to encourage the loudness/power of her voice at the expense of the gorgeous tones she has when she sings softly. She had some great songs but, sadly the meaning of the lyrics were lost in all the noise.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member

Yes, she has the voice

A voice that's at least twice the volume levels that a song requires

Shouting does not equate to singing, and thankfully the viewers realised that

She'll never be heard from again, thank goodness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, she has the voice

A voice that's at least twice the volume levels that a song requires

Shouting does not equate to singing, and thankfully the viewers realised that

She'll never be heard from again, thank goodness.

Christina shouted about as much as Sally had personality. Not at all. She had a powerful voice and showed it to us, as well as showing us the lighter side.

We will definitely be hearing about her again, thank goodness. :D
  • Options
    TheBlueOneTheBlueOne Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christina shouted about as much as Sally had personality. Not at all. She had a powerful voice and showed it to us, as well as showing us the lighter side.

We will definitely be hearing about her again, thank goodness. :D

I don't think it's fair to say 'definitely', as a neutral.

The runners-up we've heard from after the show have had rabid fanbases who never forgot about them - JLS, One Direction, Olly Murs. Whilst the female acts who've fallen at the final hurdle have seemed to struggle - Ella Henderson, Janet Devlin, Laura White etc. These are all acts who DS has said will DEFINITELY be heard of for a long time.

If Christina Marie is going to 'work', the fans need to do the leg work. If she has a small concert, make sure it sells out in minutes. Keep the buzz alive about her. Get her the Youtube views. But if you forget about her when BGT comes on and have a new flavour of the month, she'll be forgotten by 2015.