Imogen vs Susie

2»

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bluntbob wrote:
    I didn't see the similarity. Imogen has her 'girly girl' quirks but is still very down to earth and grounded. They're both very rational women but that's were the similarity ends. Imo doesn't see herself as above anyone else, she has a tolerant nature. She has a working class, Independent minded, head down and get on with it kind of attitude.
    I got the impression that Susie did see herself as a cut above the others. She's tolerant too but in a 'I'll put up with you if I have to' sort of way. She'd let the peasants have their fun bless them.
    Both nice but Imogen's more 'knock about' girl next door.
    And as Imo herself has said she could never be a kept women. she makes her own money and does what she wants and doesn't want to answer to anbody!
    Unlike Susie, who's rich 'Hubby' is her life support!
    2 very different animals.

Gosh! We'll have to agree to disagree on this one too Bluntbob. Maybe next year we'll be more in accord. ;)

I agree with Murkredi that a lot of Susie's apparent arrogance had more to do with her impatience towards youthful exhuberance and not really any kind of elitist attitude. She seemed to get on well enough with Jayne after all and if she could get on with Jayne in spite of some of her 'habits' then she couldn't really be that much of a snob! :D

Imogen, given that she was considerably younger, was perhaps more tolerant of a certain type of playful behaviour but they shared an extreme distaste for anything that classed as bad manners, un-hygienic behaviour or unnecessarily crude language and were really quite prudish almost or, at least, they were in comparison to some of their other housemates. However, having said that, you don't need to be all that much of a prude to be shocked with what some of them came out with (Remember Imogen's rant about Lea?).

They were both quite scrupulous and got annoyed about very similar things but generally had quite a stoic and relaxed attitude towards the commotion that quite often happened around them so I did see them in a very similar light.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Bookends wrote:
    Gosh! We'll have to agree to disagree on this one too Bluntbob. Maybe next year we'll be more in accord. ;)

I agree with Murkredi that a lot of Susie's apparent arrogance had more to do with her impatience towards youthful exhuberance and not really any kind of elitist attitude. She seemed to get on well enough with Jayne after all and if she could get on with Jayne in spite of some of her 'habits' then she couldn't really be that much of a snob! :D

Imogen, given that she was considerably younger, was perhaps more tolerant of a certain type of playful behaviour but they shared an extreme distaste for anything that classed as bad manners, un-hygienic behaviour or unnecessarily crude language and were really quite prudish almost or, at least, they were in comparison to some of their other housemates. However, having said that, you don't need to be all that much of a prude to be shocked with what some of them came out with (Remember Imogen's rant about Lea?).

They were both quite scrupulous and got annoyed about very similar things but generally had quite a stoic and relaxed attitude towards the commotion that quite often happened around them so I did see them in a very similar light.

Most of that was directed at Jayne behaviour which all of them commented about at the time. She was commenting on the scale of the behaviour not so much the behaviour itself. She then commented on Pete eating food off the filthy carpet. Fair comment I'd say.

She had Glyn farting in her bed at times and the blokes burping around her all the time. She was always in the garden rough housing and playing daft games with the boys. She Was the toilet attendant during one of the tasks cleaning out the toilets after people had used them and never complained once.
    Mikey said she's the female version of him and you wouldn't call Mikey a prude! I can't see Mikey being so close to someone who was completely anal about things. He said they could talk about absolutely anything!!
    Apparently she's a working class girl grew up on an estate with her mum a single parent and worked hard for the things she has.

Imo says she love's her independence, would never be a kept woman, She earns her own money and doesn't want to answer to anybody.
    Susie says : Every girl want's to marry a rich man who will look after her and treat her right!"

You couldn't get more different if you tried!

Any complaint or comment Imogen made, a big thing was made of it simply because she was hardly ever shown in the C4 show, but when it comes down to it how many times has she actually complained about anything?
    Her delivery is very dry she's joked about Jaynes belching to her face, so her comments in the diary room were not 100% serious....only 50%! ;)
    Also Imogen swears like a trooper herself she just doesn't like people jabbering on about their sex life 24/7. :)
    Granted she has her quirks but after weighing up the facts the only thing they have in common is they are very rational, never make a fuss and very diplomatic. The core of there personalities are completely different. Imo doesn't take hereself very seriously, Susie does.
    Having a few similar traits as someone does not make you and them the same person.

Susie made a comment one day, she said something like:

"I would never make a comment about someones appearance or say someones unattractive, they can't help it and it's not their fault they not fortunate to have nice clothes or look pretty!"

I liked Susie but she did have an attitude that if people didn't have what she had they were less fortunate. She didn't understand that the things she held important were not necessarily what everyone else held important.

As for her relationship with Jayne,
    People can't help but bond and connect with people. It's human nature. When people are forced into an environment with other people who they normally wouldn't hang out with, the little things that may have originally seperated them from each other become irrelevant. They're forced to see each other rationally and the things that they have in common become more apparent.
    She did genuinely like jayne and quite a few of the others and formed good bonds. not because she would have hung out with them in her every day life but because she had a good chance to see Jayne and the others as good people with great qualities. She was anal with Jayne at first but warmed to her.
    Forum Member
    murkredi wrote:
    I disagree. As an older person, I'd say Susie's attitude was more bemused tolerance towards some youthful bad behaviour.

As she once said about Glyn's vomfest, "I don't have friends who behave like that." And to be honest, neither do I ... NOW. Sure, I've had my wild past, puking drunkenly into ATMs and mooning out of Transits, but I grew up, and consider that sort of behaviour rather puerile now.

Her "attitude" was contemptuous of their juvenile behaviour, not that she felt "above" them.

Sadly, you won't understand this until you hit 40 yourself.

I wasn't having a pop at Susie. I liked her. She had great strength of character and a rational approach that comes with age. I didn't for one minute expect her to join in with the the younger housemates antics. But a few comments made by Susie that were never shown on the highlight show led me to say the things on my post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bluntbob wrote:
    Most of that was directed at Jayne behaviour which all of them commented about at the time. She was commenting on the scale of the behaviour not so much the behaviour itself. She then commented on Pete eating food off the filthy carpet. Fair comment I'd say.

She had Glyn farting in her bed at times and the blokes burping around her all the time. She was always in the garden rough housing and playing daft games with the boys. She Was the toilet attendant during one of the tasks cleaning out the toilets after people had used them and never complained once.
    Mikey said she's the female version of him and you wouldn't call Mikey a prude! I can't see Mikey being so close to someone who was completely anal about things. He said they could talk about absolutely anything!!
    Apparently she's a working class girl grew up on an estate with her mum a single parent and worked hard for the things she has.

Imo says she love's her independence, would never be a kept woman, She earns her own money and doesn't want to answer to anybody.
    Susie says : Every girl want's to marry a rich man who will look after her and treat her right!"

You couldn't get more different if you tried!

Any complaint or comment Imogen made, a big thing was made of it simply because she was hardly ever shown in the C4 show, but when it comes down to it how many times has she actually complained about anything?
    Her delivery is very dry she's joked about Jaynes belching to her face, so her comments in the diary room were not 100% serious....only 50%! ;)
    Also Imogen swears like a trooper herself she just doesn't like people jabbering on about their sex life 24/7. :)
    Granted she has her quirks but after weighing up the facts the only thing they have in common is they are very rational, never make a fuss and very diplomatic. The core of there personalities are completely different. Imo doesn't take hereself very seriously, Susie does.
    Having a few similar traits as someone does not make you and them the same person.

Susie made a comment one day, she said something like:

"I would never make a comment about someones appearance or say someones unattractive, they can't help it and it's not their fault they not fortunate to have nice clothes or look pretty!"

I liked Susie but she did have an attitude that if people didn't have what she had they were less fortunate. She didn't understand that the things she held important were not necessarily what everyone else held important.

As for her relationship with Jayne,
    People can't help but bond and connect with people. It's human nature. When people are forced into an environment with other people who they normally wouldn't hang out with, the little things that may have originally seperated them from each other become irrelevant. They're forced to see each other rationally and the things that they have in common become more apparent.
    She did genuinely like jayne and quite a few of the others and formed good bonds. not because she would have hung out with them in her every day life but because she had a good chance to see Jayne and the others as good people with great qualities. She was anal with Jayne at first but warmed to her.

OK Bluntbob. FWIW I concede that they are not the same person! ;)

At the end of the day they are both individuals and as such are going to have individual outlooks. It is highly unlikely that ANY two people are going to have the exact same view on every single subject. I simply believe that they share many traits and were quite similar in how they dealt with things and in their general demeanour for the reasons that I have already stated.

Neither of them were particularly fond of complaining. They weren’t moaners. As I said, both of them seemed to have quite a stoic outlook on things and were pretty chilled out about most things. But when they DID complain they often seemed to have bugbears that followed a very similar vein. :)
    Forum Member
    Bookends wrote:
    OK Bluntbob. FWIW I concede that they are not the same person! ;)

At the end of the day they are both individuals and as such are going to have individual outlooks. It is highly unlikely that ANY two people are going to have the exact same view on every single subject. I simply believe that they share many traits and were quite similar in how they dealt with things and in their general demeanour for the reasons that I have already stated.

Neither of them were particularly fond of complaining. They weren’t moaners. As I said, both of them seemed to have quite a stoic outlook on things and were pretty chilled out about most things. But when they DID complain they often seemed to have bugbears that followed a very similar vein. :)

Bookends you've got to help me! My posts are getting longer and more dragged out! I'm arguing with everyone with a bloody essay! :eek:
    The good thing is I'll be off this forum after this week and you propably won't hear from me again till next year!
    I need some booze and a long lie down! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bluntbob wrote:
    Bookends you've got to help me! My posts are getting longer and more dragged out! I'm arguing with everyone with a bloody essay! :eek:
    The good thing is I'll be off this forum after this week and you propably won't hear from me again till next year!
    I need some booze and a long lie down! :)

You're asking ME for advice on how to be concise?! Have you checked out the average length of MY posts?! :eek: :o:D

The booze and the lie down sounds like a plan though. I might just do likewise. ;)