whohasmynameukwhohasmynameuk Posts: 782
Forum Member
✭✭
could you get access to the internet throught a 3 phone e.g LG U8110

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, just not possible at the moment. You can only access sites in 3's "walled garden" of content, i.e. content accessed through the triangle button. No WAP, No Internet.

Sorry :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, only on their odd little service which is temperamental. One of the many reasons not to go with 3.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know when they will allow you to connect to the internet because i am thinking of getting a 3g phone as my phone that i am using know is getting old and needs replacing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't hold your breath for anytime soon, is all I will say. Probably months at least. If you really need high speed access on your laptop then get one of those Vodafone 3G Connect cards, if you're lucky enough to be in a coverage area.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Euan wrote:
    Does anyone know when they will allow you to connect to the internet because i am thinking of getting a 3g phone as my phone that i am using know is getting old and needs replacing
    As above, Vodafone are very close to launching their 3g network for handsets, and the other networks are working on it - just hold back for a bit, or get a 2.5g phone.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pingu wrote:
    As above, Vodafone are very close to launching their 3g network for handsets, and the other networks are working on it - just hold back for a bit, or get a 2.5g phone.
    T-Mobile and Orange also have 3G networks on when you do a network scan round here - the only networks with no 3G signal at work are 02 and 3. Can't be long until the rest launch properly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    So does Virgin also use T-Mobile's 3G network at the moment as they use T-Mobiles normal coverage?
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    meridian wrote:
    So does Virgin also use T-Mobile's 3G network at the moment as they use T-Mobiles normal coverage?

Virgin are just getting round to a belated launch of MMS let alone 3G lol!

As for when 3 will launch Internet access I would guess it wont be any time soon due to the fact they make money through their walled garden. Go with a more reputable 3G company when services start later in the year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    lol, I was thinking that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also was looking to go with Three, but probably wont until they offer WAP which is what I want because they do offer a lot of Free Minutes so who knows.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 will offer WAP services and Internet access when there is some sort of competition, I imagine. I can see it coming around when the other networks launch their 3G networks completely. If they'd only been a bit quicker with launching Internet then they would have got the high data volume business customers who wanted fast access. 3 must know this, and they must be kicking themselves. 3 don't seem to recognise the potential of their network, and are wasting bandwidth streaming content that there is not enough of and what is there, is overpriced.

I'm not turning this thread into a rant at 3 but they are seriously underusing their network, if they'd launched data services from day 1, they could have had an Internet service that was widely used and that brings in plenty of £££. Plus providing a valuable service for those who want data on the move but are frustrated with GPRS. That's me, for one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know that 3's 3G content is overpriced and even unobtainable for some people, but with voice calls doesn't it fall back onto 2G if there is no 3G signal?

I'm thinking about their 'mouthwatering' 5p/min any network PAYG offering! :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it falls back to 2.5G (O2) if there's no 3G signal. Calls still come out of your inclusive allowance though. Beware when moving between 2.5G and 3G signals as calls *will* drop.

I don't live in a 3G coverage area, despite what the checker says so I only get voice, SMS and MMS and limited 3 services. Although having no video is no great loss - I have broadband at home and can get many times more news reports or sports info etc. so...

The 5ppm xnet "price" is if you buy the VideoTalk 500 voucher and use most of your minutes. If you buy VideoTalk 750 and use most of your minutes then it goes down to 4.6ppm. I.E. if you buy a VideoTalk 500 voucher for £25 and only make 20 minutes worth of calls then you are essentially paying £1.25 per minute!

I normally get the VideoText 500 voucher (£25) which gives you 50 voice mins and 500 texts, although the VideoTalk 500 voucher is also £25 which gives you 500 voice minutes. If you choose VideoTalk and want text messages, you can "bolt on" 75 texts for £5 or 200 for £10. Each voucher also gives you £1.50 "credit" you can use on video clips, MMS, video calls and so on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank You Jonat8!

3G PAYG seems not exactly what I was after, but being a fisherman myself, If I payed that much for a fishing licence, i would use all the lures in my basket so all kudos to them for doing so! :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to take a careful look at whether you are going to "break even" with ThreePay.

Let's take XNet calls as an example. In the one hand we have a ThreePay phone with a £25 VideoTalk 500 voucher. In the other hand we have an O2 Pay&Go phone which charges XNet calls at 40ppm.

On the O2 phone, you would have to make 62.5 minutes worth of calls in order to spend £25. If you make less than that, then it would be cheaper to be on O2. If you make more than 62.5 minutes worth of calls then if you were on ThreePay any calls after this would be saving you money over O2.

Obviously it's not as clear cut as that when you factor in that users don't just make cross-network calls but you get the idea.

ThreePay is not designed for the low-use users who spend say £5 a month on credit, it is designed for the high volume users who can't/won't get a contract. As Three make vouchers expire every 30 days, they know they should be getting a fairly stable revenue stream from their PAYG users - at least £15 a month, unlike other pre-pay services.

The most significant savings can be made if you use most/all of your minutes. Let's take XNet calls again. If you used 450 minutes on ThreePay, you'd just pay £25, which works out at 5.5ppm . If you used 450 minutes on O2 then you'd pay an eye watering £180.