Options

At what age did you start watching?

Comments

• Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Have memories of Pertwee era, Queen Spider, giant maggots, UNIT, Bessie and so on.

So would have been 4 or 5.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just 8 and watched Invasion of the Dinosaurs part 2.
    I only watched because I was mad about dinosaurs and my grandma told me that there was this programme on last week with dinosaurs in...
    Even the rubber horrors of IotD didn't put me off. I was hooked.
    And I'm obviously still here today, watching with my now teenage children.
    Proves what a brilliant show it is - how many other programmes can unite families in this way, and keep viewers interested over 50 years? Amazing!
  • Options
    king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was 5, some cats and a trampoline of skin, didn't put me off though
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets see... 8 years ago 2005 I'd have been..... 21
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    I remember seeing The Green Death & The Sea Devils but they must have been repeats or omnibus editions during the latter Pertwee era. I have vague memories of watching The Time Warrior and I certainly remember watching Bilal, Alpha Centauri, Aggedor, The Dinosaurs and the Spiders too. Apparently I cried my eyes out all night when the third Doctor regenerated. 3 days before my birthday I see. I was 6.
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's see...started in 2006 with Series 2, which was 7 years ago (:eek: that is too weird, it doesn't feel that long) so I'd have been 12...yikes.
  • Options
    tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had watched many episodes before 2005 but that was my first proper series. I would have been 7 at the time.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,110
    Forum Member
    I remember a couple of things that first introduced me to it (not sure which one was first or what sealed the deal)

I remember being 7 and Planet of the Daleks was shown for the 30th anniversary in 1993, but I recorded that so there must have been interest already.
    I also remember seeing an episode of Genesis of the Daleks that was on TV, I remember the Thal guard reaching for the button that set off the electric fence at the base of the rocket and the Doctor being in extreme pain. That bit greatly bothered me.

My much older cousin also had a small number of Dr Who videos - Five Doctors, Deadly Assassin, Sontaran Experiment/Genesis of the Daleks and Day of the Daleks.

Plus, my auntie used to have UKGold (I didn't) so she used to record them for me every Sunday morning (may have been Saturday morning too). Despite the fact she lived 300 miles away. lol She used to post the tapes to me.

I remember once she recorded Pirate Planet but the sound was missing and instead had operatic singing over it. Not sure if that was a fault on her Sky or on the video. But I found it quite funny, it added a certain extra drama to it.
  • Options
    mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably somewhere around 79 or 80. I can remember snippets of episodes with Tom Baker, Romana, and K9. The first episodes I clearly remember were the e-space ones, the introduction of Adric ad later Nyssa, and the departure of Romana and K9 which would have been in '81, and the episode Logopolis really stuck in my mind as it was the first regeneration I had seen. So, I probably started watching from about 5-6 years old, and have a good recollection of stories from being 7
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I don't think 4 is too young. I started watching Dr Who when I was 5.
  • Options
    Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Nah 4 isn't too young, I watch it with my 3 year old grandson and he loves it. I was 7 when I first watched and that was 1963, something about the stone age which I don't really remember but the next one being the Daleks, well that was my fav programme sorted, also recall I had mumps at the time.
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    May 1996 - so I was 5

I had caught the TV Movie after seeing it heavily promoted and all these things about "Doctor Who is coming back - you'll love it" from my parents.

The thing that sticks out for me is, as clear as a bell, I can still remember the moment in that TV Movie which also gave me my first ever - and possibly most frightening - Doctor Who scary scene: the shots of the Master's soul/snake-thing first hissing at the camera just before McCoy gets put in the morgue fridge, and then the same thing actually entering the ambulance driver's body.

Both those times I ran out of the room crying and my mum had to coerce me into coming back in - by the time I saw the (at the time) strange man die and change into another strange man, I was too creeped out by this thing called Doctor Who, so I tried to forget about it. I loved it but then again, it was way too frightening for me. It had such an effect on me that even today, I still have a phobia of snakes!!!

Then I saw a trailer for BBC2's Doctor Who Night a few years later, discovered the whole background to the scary shit I had seen a few years earlier and that is that . . . I was hooked from then on.
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    My first memory of Who is the Cushing films being shown on UKTV Gold, around 2001 IIRC. I would have been 9/10. From there I started getting up early to watch Inferno, Terror of the Autons, Battlefield, Terror of the Vervoids and The Happiness Patrol. 3 years later I was cynical enough to throw a dirty look at the Tv screen when I saw a preview of Eccleston saying "nice to meet you Rose, run for your life!"

I thought to myself "it won't be any good."

I have since learned to take everything as it comes and have since become much more accepting of Nu Who :)
  • Options
    KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We got our first colour telly in 1971 and when my Dad told us I got really excited about seeing Doctor Who in colour. I would have been 3 and a bit but can remember being mesmerized by the titles. Would have been Claws of Axis episode 3.

I did find Doctor Who proper scary though and had a few nightmares! Can really remember needing to have a light left on at bedtime after watching Daemons!
  • Options
    FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was in 1996 and I was 14 and I watched the TV Movie version and immediately was hooked even though I hardly understood it.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    My earliest DW memory involves the Autons so I'm guessing 6/7.
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I was three and a half. At least, that's the earliest memories. Goodness knows when they first started showing it to me. How irresponsible was that!

(I was about eight or nine before I was allowed to stay up and watch Rosemary's Baby and Psycho though, so the parents weren't totally silly. )
  • Options
    CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11 or 12 for the 1996 movie I suppose, I remember a repeat run of classic eps on BBC2 in the past though, whenever that was, ai distinctly remember some old guy talking about the Daleks before the ep started though, it might have been Terry Nation, the segment ended with him appearing to sit inside a Dalek, then the top materialising onto him for a full Dalek while he sat there, then the ep sgarted, think it was Jon Pertwee playing the Doctor, if anyone remembers what year this was good luck :P
  • Options
    mrmattybeckmrmattybeck Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started watching wen I was 11 years old in 2005 and I've luved the show since:)
  • Options
    Wiwik_AnggrainiWiwik_Anggraini Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    This is also a nice thread to introduce myself to the DS DW world.

I only really started to watch when Matt Smith took over, so I was 30, actually 31 because I was late checking Matt out as the Doctor. However, I've been aware of the Doctor way before that. I'm of the generation, as well as population (Dutch non-BBC watching), who didn't really have Doctor Who on tv. That's my excuse for being really late to the party. Yet, somehow Tom Baker was stuck as THE Doctor in my head, with ironically Billie Piper as his companion. Don't ask me, I don't know. *Shrugs*.

Anyway, starting age 30, length now 2 years. That's a pathetic late age and a pathetic short time. Me being aware of Doctor Who? Much longer than that; I suspect I once incidentally saw a Sylvester McCoy ep when I was a kiddy wink of 10 years of age or something, back in the days.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is also a nice thread to introduce myself to the DS DW world.

I only really started to watch when Matt Smith took over, so I was 30, actually 31 because I was late checking Matt out as the Doctor. However, I've been aware of the Doctor way before that. I'm of the generation, as well as population (Dutch non-BBC watching), who didn't really have Doctor Who on tv. That's my excuse for being really late to the party. Yet, somehow Tom Baker was stuck as THE Doctor in my head, with ironically Billie Piper as his companion. Don't ask me, I don't know. *Shrugs*.

Anyway, starting age 30, length now 2 years. That's a pathetic late age and a pathetic short time. Me being aware of Doctor Who? Much longer than that; I suspect I once incidentally saw a Sylvester McCoy ep when I was a kiddy wink of 10 years of age or something, back in the days.

You lucky, lucky thing! You've got all the pleasure of watching the previous Doctors' episodes for the first time.

Start with the 10th Doctor. He's the best. (Others may disagree. ;):D).

Welcome to the forum. :)
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was seven and started with Season 25 though I saw glimpses of 24 and remember Dragonfire.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched from the first episode in 1963, but haven't really watched it since the Jon Pertwee ones.
  • Options
    Wiwik_AnggrainiWiwik_Anggraini Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    You lucky, lucky thing! You've got all the pleasure of watching the previous Doctors' episodes for the first time.

Start with the 10th Doctor. He's the best. (Others may disagree. ;):D).

Welcome to the forum. :)
    Not really, I've been lurking for a long time. I also tend to be obsessive; I've seen loads of the classic stuff. I'm already on repeat.

Tell you what, the first Doctor I consciencely watched was 10, because it was his time. Not quite sure how I missed 9 at the time. And I'm sorry to tell you that I disagree with your choice as well. My fave is 8.

Thanks for the welcome.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    Not really, I've been lurking for a long time. I also tend to be obsessive; I've seen loads of the classic stuff. I'm already on repeat.

Tell you what, the first Doctor I consciencely watched was 10, because it was his time. Not quite sure how I missed 9 at the time. And I'm sorry to tell you that I disagree with your choice as well. My fave is 8.

Thanks for the welcome.

Nice to meet you! :)

I'm not sure why 8 would be top of someone's list. It's difficult to judge him fairly as he's only appeared once on TV.

Is it because you've heard him on the Big Finish audio releases?