Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 34)

Comments

• Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    If you read the reports its fast re-tooling itself into X Factor lite complete with nasty judges. .

Right so you ignore and lambast tabloid reports about ITV shows [remember all those Adrian and Christine to be dropped from Daybreak stories that you rubbished] but Daily Star stories about BBC shows are to be believed;) You're as credible as ever I see.

I see Daybreak has new hosts I seem to remember you spinning Adrian and Christine as 'doing very well' up until a day before they were dropped. Of course you were ''busy at work'';) the day they were dropped.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    It started last August with BBC One's My Hoarder Mum and me, which got 3.4m at 10.35 and in December C4 had another one off which got 3.3m incl+1.
    I'm surprised no one has commissioned a full series yet.
    There is 2 in America at the moment.
    The C4 series is for four episodes. I wonder if fans record them all and never delete them off their Sky box? ;)
    Dancc wrote: »
    Hollyoaks is more vulnerable than ever with the emergence of Big Bang Theory as a real ratings force. Whilst there was a time E4 really needed it to provide some much needed stability each evening, especially in the wake of losing Friends, there's now an argument that Hollyoaks is actually dragging down E4 as well as C4. And I'm not sure how much longer the bosses will allow that to continue if these figures don't improve. And with the summer now dangerously close, that doesn't look particularly likely for the time being at least.
    Hollyoaks can't say it hasn't had it's chances and perhaps if it did go but C4 ring fences the money for drama series - including pre-watershed teen drama, it might be a move worth making. I still think though C4 need to sort out 8-11pm first - no real improvement has been made in the last year IMO.
    As for the aussie soaps, a few stalwarts from Home & Away and Neighbours are in the country doing a bit of promotion. But the itinerary isn't very inspiring. The Richard Bacon show, Inside Soap, The Wright Stuff and Live with Fern. Getting them to appear on the latter in particular is a bit like preaching to the converted, as the figures are so low opposite This Morning that it's only C5's hardcore audience watching anyway.
    Another reason that the demise of kids shows and Saturday morning shows especially is harming TV and the industry as a whole. Actors, popstars and general TV folk just don't have anywhere to go really now to do a bit of fun promotion - it's either run of the mill daytime TV or shows where they have to pretend to be interested in cooking or who sang best on The X Factor that night.
    cylon6 wrote: »
    The new ITV Daybreak presenters are Lorraine Kelly and Aled Jones!
    They're going for wooly jumpers and comfy slippers then.
    There's nothing like an original idea! :D
    And picking up on that comedy news, Broadcast are reporting today that the BBC are struggling to get sitcom ideas through the door as Sky and now ITV are luring them away - so maybe ITV are actually going to take this comedy slot thing rather seriously.
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Based on one live show and its results. Brilliant. Of course, The X Factor in September 2004 was getting far lower audiences.

I'm glad you're recognising my superior viewpoint on the subject. :D:p LOL
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Headline in tomorrows Mirror

'Cowell in secret BBC talks'

Apparently though based on nothing, BBC might be considering a drama from Syco I think?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or he hasn't paid his licence fee.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cent wrote: »

Apparently though based on nothing, BBC might be considering a drama from Syco I think?

A drama? I can't see them creating a drama (well, not a pure drama anyway). Another light entertainment show I can understand.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why was their a promo for Whitechapel on the BBC this evening?

as for The Gadget Show, im not exactly impressed, it wasnt that long ago it would be getting 1.5 million easy.

As for Daybreak is Lorraine Kelly really happy to do the full show? and yeah Aled Jones, typical ITV poaching from the BBC.

I know ive said before that British soaps are stronger than some of their international counterparts, but this year im not so sure.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    as for The Gadget Show, im not exactly impressed, it wasnt that long ago it would be getting 1.5 million easy.
    You what? Never in the history of the programme has it "got 1.5 million easy."
  • Options
    jojo2008jojo2008 Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Daybreak had been axed ???
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    jojo2008 wrote: »

There were suggestions that it would be 'renamed' - TBH I don't really see the point of that. They can change the show without changing the name. The name is the least of their worries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    As for Daybreak is Lorraine Kelly really happy to do the full show? and yeah Aled Jones, typical ITV poaching from the BBC.
    It appears Lorraine is continuing as a separate show as well, so she'll ditch Aled for the last hour. And it's hardly poaching of the scale of Adrian and Christine, but a rather shrewd mood in going for someone I suspect a certain type of Breakfast viewer who wouldn't think of watching ITV in the morning might be tempted by.

No reason too why Aled won't continue with Songs of Praise - Eamonn Holmes used to be one of the presenters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Graham Norton Show is about to do a rip off of The Choice (as posted on here earlier this week). I hope FOX lawyers aren't watching. :D
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jojo2008 wrote: »

Lol, yes everyone seems to have forgotten that. It shows how yesterday's papers are tomorrow's chip paper!
    Agent F wrote: »
    There were suggestions that it would be 'renamed' - TBH I don't really see the point of that. They can change the show without changing the name. The name is the least of their worries.

The headline said 'Daybreak Axed' though, you had to read way into the story to realise that it actually wasn't being axed.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You what? Never in the history of the programme has it "got 1.5 million easy."
    it certainly use to get over 1 million regularly.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cent wrote: »

In short... He's supposedly furious that they've poached one of his executives for ITV Studios. Generally unhappy with ITV and just a rehash of all the other stuff we've seen before. He called Danny Cohen to congratulate him on The Voice during which he proposed some drama idea and it's now in the very early stages of development.

The gist of it is that Syco won't be dealing solely with ITV in the future.

Although I suspect new ideas might be as likely to launch on US networks as they are on BBC/ITV.
    Fudd wrote: »
    A drama? I can't see them creating a drama (well, not a pure drama anyway). Another light entertainment show I can understand.

They'd co-produce, no doubt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    In short... He's supposedly furious that they've poached one of his executives for ITV Studios. Generally unhappy with ITV and just a rehash of all the other stuff we've seen before. He called Danny Cohen to congratulate him on The Voice during which he proposed some drama idea and it's now in the very early stages of development.

The gist of it is that Syco won't be dealing solely with ITV in the future.

Although I suspect new ideas might be as likely to launch on US networks as they are on BBC/ITV.

Unhappy with ITV for what? Agreeing to air a second series of Red or Black despite the fact it was an unmitigated disaster for all it's hype? Sticking by him while The X Factor went into freefall last autumn? Not kicking off more in public after he deserted them to chase an American dream, allowing both Britain's Got Talent and The X Factor to drift somewhat?

Yes, he's got a lot to be angry at them about... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just rehashing the same stories that came out in that book (some of them dating back to a falling out in 2007-2008 with someone no longer at ITV). They've thrown in the Shu Greene thing as well. It's one of those stories which may have some basis in truth but lots of "colour" added. It'd hardly be surprising if Cowell wanted to work with someone like Danny Cohen (providing they can both fit their heads into one room!) so one day the story might look like it was true. But it's a long way off.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There ought be a bumper FA cup final rating today, I can see a match average of 7m+, the length of the programme slot on ITV1 is a bit long for a main channel, I will be watching ESPN (ideally commercial free) but hopefully ITV1 can rate 5.5m slot average.

There are a lot of big television programmes for viewers to watch both on Saturday and Sunday, but the weather looks pretty sunny for a May Bank Holiday weekend. The ratings will be hard to predict accurately.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HIGNFY 5.1m
    Not Going Out 4.3m

Were the highest rating (non +1) shows between 9:00 and 10:00 last night.

Sam Hodges Twitter

I wonder if PMLS rated 4.3+ including +1?
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decent rating for HIGNFY, recovered a bit from last week's drop. I think part of the reason HIGNFY has returned to 5m + overnights this series is because it is not being dragged down by Holby City in Scotland like it was last series.

I expect the soaps will have been low last night as they usually are on a Friday night before a bank holiday weekend
  • Options
    Forum Member
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    There ought be a bumper FA cup final rating today, I can see a match average of 7m+, the length of the programme slot on ITV1 is a bit long for a main channel, I will be watching ESPN (ideally commercial free) but hopefully ITV1 can rate 5.5m slot average.
    I'll watch buildup, HT analysis and post-match (if L'pool win) on ESPN. Match itself on ITV1HD purely for HD.

A chance for ESPN to break the million mark today I think with no adverts. With an all-day buildup, the main event starts from 4.45pm on that channel, or 90 minutes earlier on ITV1. Their post-match is slightly longer though, which won't matter too much if there is Extra Time/Penalties.

Big day for Rebecca Lowe as well who I believe is fronting ESPN's coverage.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc, am I right in saying that in previous years ESPN ran unencrypted (ie those without ESPN can see it) until the main start at 4:45pm?

It seems that they are not doing that this year for some reason, I can't view it at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Dancc, am I right in saying that in previous years ESPN ran unencrypted (ie those without ESPN can see it) until the main start at 4:45pm?

It seems that they are not doing that this year for some reason, I can't view it at the moment.
    Possibly. I'm sure I've read about them doing stuff like that before, but I can't remember if that included Cup Final day or not.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    HIGNFY 5.1m
    Not Going Out 4.3m

Were the highest rating (non +1) shows between 9:00 and 10:00 last night.

Sam Hodges Twitter

I wonder if PMLS rated 4.3+ including +1?

Yep, Life Stories averaged 4.5m (inc +1) according to Lord Sugar on Twitter.

Pretty good for all 3 shows there.
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    Possibly. I'm sure I've read about them doing stuff like that before, but I can't remember if that included Cup Final day or not.
    Setanta Sports went unencrypted for the whole of Cup Final day in 2009, including the game itself.

I can't remember what ESPN did last year, but I don't think they went unencrypted at all. I could be wrong, of course.
This discussion has been closed.