HD tv flickers in HD doesnt in SD

This is my first HD tv.

Previous I had a CRT. I have LCD monitors but they dont have this issue but they also arent used for live tv feeds.

So if I watch a sports HD channel the lines have clear flickering, some examples.

The F1 logo on F1 in HD flickers.
The edge of the boxes on sky sports saturday flickers.

On the sky sports saturday example (progeam on now) if I turn to the non HD channel there is no flickering.

The tv is a samsung UE32F5000.

Comments

• TiexenTiexen Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you using HDMI?
  • ChrysalisChrysalis Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    obviously otherwise it wouldnt be in HD at all.

I did some research and it would seem to be because sky transmit HD in interlace. 1080i not 1080p.
  • packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chrysalis wrote: »

I did some research and it would seem to be because sky transmit HD in interlace. 1080i not 1080p.

I have never seen this flicker on Sky. not sure what the issue is but it must be something else.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,335
    Forum Member

Your research was flawed then - all HD transmissions in the UK are 1080i50, with occasional changes to 1080P25 on Freeview HD (which is essentially the same thing anyway).

No one broadcasts 1080P50, as it would cost far too much, and give little advantage.

You might also consider the millions of people watching Sky, VM, and Freeview HD - and you're the only person with flickering. Perhaps your TV is faulty?, can you try a different TV?.
  • TiexenTiexen Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No - you can watch HD channels through Scart or even RF
    they won't be HD but they will still have "HD" logos
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is my first HD tv.

Previous I had a CRT. I have LCD monitors but they dont have this issue but they also arent used for live tv feeds.

So if I watch a sports HD channel the lines have clear flickering, some examples.

The F1 logo on F1 in HD flickers.
    The edge of the boxes on sky sports saturday flickers.

On the sky sports saturday example (progeam on now) if I turn to the non HD channel there is no flickering.

The tv is a samsung UE32F5000.

Go through the TV menus and turn of anything that claims to improve the picture quality.

Examples 100/200 Hz processing, noise reduction, sharpening etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Maybe the tv is set to the wrong region, and not set to 60htz refresh rate, this would cause a flicker?
    Forum Member
    garbageguy wrote: »
    Maybe the tv is set to the wrong region, and not set to 60htz refresh rate, this would cause a flicker?

No, refresh rate will automatically adjust to the correct one, it would be a pretty crappy set if it didn't - even CRT sets managed that decades ago.

There's also no region settings to get 60Hz, all EU is 50Hz.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I turned of noise filtering on the TV, sharpness set to 0.

its a samsung UE32F5000.

I see this flickering on everyone's HD sets on sky sattelite but it doesnt occur on internet HD streams or cable HD only sattelite HD. It also doesnt occur when outputted at 720p.

other countries do supply tv at 1080p.
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hang on a mo : you see flickering on everyone's HD TV's --- I don't think so , no other people have this problem on Sky !!

5000 range is not the highest up in the samsung range but it is perfectly adequate and its sold in very high numbers -- other people would be up in arm if there was a real problem with it .
    Forum Member
    I turned of noise filtering on the TV, sharpness set to 0.

its a samsung UE32F5000.

I see this flickering on everyone's HD sets on sky sattelite but it doesnt occur on internet HD streams or cable HD only sattelite HD. It also doesnt occur when outputted at 720p.

other countries do supply tv at 1080p.

Not as far as I'm aware?, and not 1080P50, the few that do only supply 1080P25, which isn't really any different.

No one else has got a flickering problem, only you.

But if setting the box to 720P cures it for you, then why not do that? - but it's only moving where the de-interlacing is taking place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I see this flickering on everyone's HD sets on sky sattelite

I think there's something wrong with your eyes, my friend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not as far as I'm aware?, and not 1080P50, the few that do only supply 1080P25, which isn't really any different.

No one else has got a flickering problem, only you.

But if setting the box to 720P cures it for you, then why not do that? - but it's only moving where the de-interlacing is taking place.

ok I got it massively reduced, not gone but its now much harder to notice.

I forced the tv input mode to 1080i (before was 1080p). So I think what was happening was the box/tv was converting to 1080p and making a bad job of it, now its actually outputting at the same mode as the tv signal it looks better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marshey616 wrote: »
    I think there's something wrong with your eyes, my friend.

I think thats a reply thats clutching at straws,

I guess all my friends and family have eye problems as well since they observed same thing, although some of them were so used to it they considered it normal until they were shown the SD channels.
    Forum Member
    ok I got it massively reduced, not gone but its now much harder to notice.

I forced the tv input mode to 1080i (before was 1080p). So I think what was happening was the box/tv was converting to 1080p and making a bad job of it, now its actually outputting at the same mode as the tv signal it looks better.

I thought you were using a Sky box?, they don't have an option for 1080P - and 1080i is the default setting.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This isn't the "shimmy" that came with the upgrade to the latest EPG on the Sky box is it? (From months ago and it was never fixed). That only affected HD channels and was fine on SD.

It occurs on my Pace box when in Auto, the fix is to set it to 720p then set it to Auto where it will be okay for a couple of days before it comes back and needs to be cleared again. The alternative is to set the box permanently to 1080i or 720p rather than Auto.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought you were using a Sky box?, they don't have an option for 1080P - and 1080i is the default setting.

its defenitly fixed, I see now on the sky sports 1 football the whiteline at the top right is not flickering now, was last saturday. I switched back to 1080p and it flickered, back to 1080i and is fine. I rang up my friends and family and they fixed their tv's also.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its defenitly fixed, I see now on the sky sports 1 football the whiteline at the top right is not flickering now, was last saturday. I switched back to 1080p and it flickered, back to 1080i and is fine. I rang up my friends and family and they fixed their tv's also.

So how did you switch a Sky box to 1080p?
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    So how did you switch a Sky box to 1080p?

Exactly? - and if you could, what would be the point?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was set to 1080p as I had no idea signals were transmitted at interlaced. I assume the same goes for my family members who had the same issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was set to 1080p as I had no idea signals were transmitted at interlaced. I assume the same goes for my family members who had the same issue.

How as none of us have any idea how to do this?
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But Sky only transmits 1080i and therefore the box cannot output 1080p
    http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-HD-SkyHD-Sky-3D/Why-no-1080p/td-p/522688