Underrated songs by big name artists?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Will Be-Christina Aguilera. I still have no idea what album that is on.
  • iamstrongiamstrong Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    I Will Be-Christina Aguilera. I still have no idea what album that is on.
    It's the B-side of the "Dirrty" single.
  • SavyannahSavyannah Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    I feel that Lady's Gaga's later singles You and I and Marry the Night where underated and should have performed better, they are both beautiful tracks with strong vocals heart felt meaningfuls lyrics and lovely composition compared to other trash in the charts
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmm, Scissor Sisters - Land of a Thousand Words is one of mine - great ballad and like a Bond theme too

Others...
    Kelis' song 4th July from her latest album, it was the second single and stalled

Robyn's single Hang With Me, overshadowed by Dancing on My Own and Call Your Girlfriend

Cheesy but, I love B*Witched's song Blame it on the Weatherman. It was in Charmed and it has that nice pop-country fuzzy feel to it. That's overshadowed by C'est La Vie and DERP 90S POP WAS ALL COMEDY EUROTRASH thoughts haha

Katy B's Perfect Stranger...I hardly ever hear this about, overshadowed by Katy on a Mission

Sophie Ellis Bextor's song Not Giving Up On Love. Literally one of my absolute favourite songs, and I dont even like her in general.
  • spindiddlyspindiddly Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rihanna - Te Amo
    Katy Perry - Thinking Of You
    Avril Lavigne - Nobody's Home
    Ke$ha - Blow
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Hmm, in my opinion I think the Katy Perry 'underrated tracks' are more cases of not being as big as her massive singles. When you think that in just two albums she's managed to have I Kissed A Girl, Hot 'n' Cold, California Gurls, Teenage Dream and Firework (not sure Last Friday Night is quite up there?) all become major long-term successes, other singles are bound to look 'underrated' in comparison.
  • ElectroflowerElectroflower Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    RickWhite wrote: »
    None of them

Hipster alert
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    Half of the songs in here aren't underrated at all. Like Waking Up In Vegas. How can that at all be considered underrated?

I agree and someone mentioned Britney Spears - Womanizer. I wouldn't class that as underrated either.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexandra Burke - The Silence.

That song is amazing and even though it has always been a fan favourite, it did nothing in the charts. It should have been released as her second single and it would have fared much better.
  • LunarLegendLunarLegend Posts: 3,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madonna - The Look Of Love

Last performed live in 1987?!!!!!!:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go for Florence and the Machine's 'What the Water Gave Me' - love the way it grows and builds from a brooding mystical, quiet start to a rousing rock out climax. Love the poetic if dark lyrics about Sylvia Plath's demise and the tingling harps. Easily my favourite of hers.

I suppose it's just not the stuff that top 10 hits are made of though. :(
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,082
    Forum Member
    This could be a massive list, hang on..

Arctic Monkeys- The Jeweller's Hands, Suck It & See, Piledriver Waltz, Love is a Lazerquest
    Alex Turner- Piledriver Waltz
    Blur- Charmless Man, Sing, Battery in Your Leg
    Coldplay- Amsterdam
    The Cure- Homesick, Disintegration, Out of This World, Open, End
    David Bowie- Warszawa, Subterraneans
    Elbow- George Lassoes The Moon
    Fun.-Take Your Time
    Gorillaz- El Manana
    Iggy Pop- Sixteen
    Jeff Buckley- Morning Theft
    Joy Division- Attrocity Exhibiton, The Only Mistake
    Kanye West- Blame Game, Gorgeous
    Kasabian- ID
    The Killers- Goodnight, Travel Well, Change Your Mind, Tranquilize
    The Libertines- Radio America, Begging
    New Order- Get Out
    Noah & The Whale- Our Window
    Pink Floyd- One of my Turns
    Placebo- I Know, Special Needs,
    Pulp- Like A Friend
    Radiohead- 2+2=5, There There,True Love Waits, Kid A, Codex, Let Down, Life In a Glasshouse
    The Smiths- Paint a Vulgar Picture, What Difference Does It Make, The Queen Is Dead
    Suede- Pantomime Horse
    Thom Yorke- Hearing Damage
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coldplay- Amsterdam

Crikey haven't heard this for ages but remember absolutely loving it a few years ago. Definitely one of their underrated, moving and soul inspiring songs. Don't think they ever play this live.
    Have to give this another listen!
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,082
    Forum Member
    Zeb Atlas wrote: »
    Crikey haven't heard this for ages but remember absolutely loving it a few years ago. Definitely one of their underrated, moving and soul inspiring songs. Don't think they ever play this live.
    Have to give this another listen!

I'm no Coldplay fan, anything past A Rush of Blood is very hit and miss for me. However, this is one of my favourite songs of all time for the reasons you listed! Got to give Politik a mention too.
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Jackson - Who Is It, Speed Demon
    Abba - Eagle, I've Been Waiting for You, I Wonder, Should I Laugh or Cry, If It Wasn't for the Nights
    Madonna - Love Profusion, Waiting, Little Star, Get Together, Miles Away, Nothing Fails
    Kylie Minogue - Word Is Out, Fragile, Chocolate, Some Kind of Bliss, Where Is the Feeling
    Cyndi Lauper - Calm Inside the Storm, A Night to Remember, Fall Into Your Dreams, Echo, Raging Storm
    Stevie Nicks - No Spoken Word, If I Were You, Ooh My Love, Sable on Blond
    Bette Midler - Hang On In There Baby,
    Fleetwood Mac - Isn't It Midnight, Family Man, That's Alright, Angel, Why, Did You Ever Love Me
    Heart - Wild Child, There's the Girl
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    I could contribute to this one thread for the rest of my days!
    Madonna - Dress You Up/Love Don't Live Here Anymore/Oh Father/The Power Of Goodbye/Hollywood/Get Together/Miles Away
    Gwen Stefani - Cool

So many of Madonna's tracks are underrated and the examples you've highlighted fall into that category. She did a great cover of the Rose Royce track (a hard song to sing well) and 'The Power of Goodbye' is my favourite track from the Ray of Light album. I remember watching her perform it on Top of the Pops and listen to it a lot even now. 'Miles Away' was seriously overlooked (I only remember hearing it on Radio 2 when it was released as a single) and it's definitely one of the best songs she's recorded. As for Gwen's 'Cool,' how it missed out on a top 10 place in our charts I'll never know. It's a pretty irresistible track for a fan of New Wave and 80s pop like me.

U2 with Staring at the Sun and City of Blinding Lights
    Snow Patrol with Take Back the City
    Faithless/ Dido with One Step Too Far...

You've picked 4 of my favourite songs there. Personally I think 'Take Back The City' was more deserving of the nominations for a Grammy and best British song at the Brits.
    'One Step Too Far' is the only Dido song I actually like. 'City of Blinding Lights' deserved its Grammy award for Best Rock Song and I think U2 deserved a hat trick of UK Number 1s from 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb' with 'City...' finishing it.

My suggestions will follow!
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    More votes for 'Battery in You Leg' (which I've mentioned on DS before) and 'Charmless Man' by Blur from me.
    Madonna - The Look Of Love

Last performed live in 1987?!!!!!!:(

I love this track. I've read comments by others who feel it's a weak track by Madonna's standards but I disagree. Admittedly (as I have written and said before) it fades out too early and warrants a more dramatic finish but I've found it's one of those tracks that just sticks in the mind. It's haunting, exotic and the synths are rather moody.

Right... some of my suggestions (including a few album tracks):

U2 - Numb

U2 - Mysterious Ways

U2 - Two Hearts Beat As One

The Beatles - I Will

The Beatles - Two Of Us

George Michael - Cowboys & Angels - set to (I think) clips from the film 'Stealing Beauty.'

George Michael - Waiting For That Day

Prince - Pop Life

Prince - Diamonds and Pearls

Prince - The Ballad of Dorothy Parker

Prince - Let's Pretend We're Married

Simon & Garfunkel - Leaves That Are Green

Simon & Garfunkel - A Poem on the Underground Wall - a recording of a brilliant live version complete with the story behind the song (song begins at 2:18).

Marvin Gaye - Where Are We Going?

Stevie Wonder - I Believe (When I Fall In Love)

Elton John - Border Song

Elton John - Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters

Nat King Cole - A Blossom Fell

The Jam - The Dreams of Children - I prefer this to the other side.

The Jam - English Rose

The Clash - (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais

Blondie - Fade Away and Radiate

The Police - When The World Is Running Down, You Make The Best of What's Still Around.

The Police - Wrapped Around Your Finger

Elvis Presley - Suspicion
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Casualty Of Love by Jessie J. That was the best song on her album, tbh. That song is written like poetry. I love it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQFNa9WQIjA
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Madonna - Devil Wouldn't Recognise You
    Kylie - Your Disco Needs You

Both songs would have been massive hits but were overlooked
  • nigel12nigel12 Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna I'm Addicted. If this song had led the MDNA campaign it would have been so much stronger!
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna - Dear Jessie
    Kylie - What Do I Have To Do?
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nigel12 wrote: »
    Madonna I'm Addicted. If this song had led the MDNA campaign it would have been so much stronger!

Yep,

followed by Gang Bang and Love Spent...
  • MiresiaVertetaMiresiaVerteta Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep,

followed by Gang Bang and Love Spent...

Erm....does she sing about group sex?