Options

Never a good sign

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Quite a few weeks into the show and I now know the people left are Lucy, Ashleigh, Maria, Patrick, Navdeep and the two other guys. I am good with names usually, so to me it's not a good sign if I can't remember who they are. They also look similar to me, the main difference between being the skin and the height. Having watched the show for years, I know usually when I cant' recall names like this, I'm not the only one and have never seen these candidates win!

And to note, it's not because they are poor candidates, they just blend in more than stand out . . .

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One is Andrew... I can't even picture the other one, let alone remember his name.
  • Options
    AbMan51AbMan51 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    I think that's more a reflection of yourselves than the show.
  • Options
    TXF0429TXF0429 Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AbMan51 wrote: »
    I think that's more a reflection of yourselves than the show.

Agreed, I could pick them out with my eyes closed. Don't blame the show if you aren't watching properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TXF0429 wrote: »
    Agreed, I could pick them out with my eyes closed. Don't blame the show if you aren't watching properly.

As I said, I am good with names. And faces. Those two are not memorable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Handers wrote: »
    As I said, I am good with names. And faces. Those two are not memorable.

Well, that's still down to you. I find them very memorable and considering they have both been PM on the same task, there is no excuse for not knowing their names, imo.

Did you miss Week 3 or anything?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, that's still down to you. I find them very memorable and considering they have both been PM on the same task, there is no excuse for not knowing their names, imo.

Did you miss Week 3 or anything?

Not missed any! I normally know everyone by about the third week. Always a few that stand out immediately, then the others fall into place. Also, I don't rate the young version as much as the main one, so maybe I'm not paying as much attention. We never really hear much about the candidates after the show has finished about the winners, where in the adult version we do.
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Not missed any! I normally know everyone by about the third week. Always a few that stand out immediately, then the others fall into place. Also, I don't rate the young version as much as the main one, so maybe I'm not paying as much attention. We never really hear much about the candidates after the show has finished about the winners, where in the adult version we do.

I'd just like to make a point here that on the adult version there have been eight winners, so there has been more opportunity to find out what they've done. Young Apprentice has only had two winners so far, and both of them have continued their education. Arjun was named Face of the Future at the Asian Voice Political and Public Life Awards, and then went of to do engineering science at Oxford University. Zara is currently studying at Hurtwood House, a boarding school with an emphasis on the arts. I imagine that neither of them have really had a chance for their business to take off yet, but I have no doubt it will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd just like to make a point here that on the adult version there have been eight winners, so there has been more opportunity to find out what they've done. Young Apprentice has only had two winners so far, and both of them have continued their education. Arjun was named Face of the Future at the Asian Voice Political and Public Life Awards, and then went of to do engineering science at Oxford University. Zara is currently studying at Hurtwood House, a boarding school with an emphasis on the arts. I imagine that neither of them have really had a chance for their business to take off yet, but I have no doubt it will.

This is the last year of YP from what I've read, it's simply not as popular as the adult version.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member

I doubt if anyone knows what even all the main show winners are doing. Many have vanished from public view. Some have changed jobs since any news coverage. Many ex candidates may talk about their interesting sidelines on social media, but not their day jobs, Many say nothing. Only a few have websites. Only a couple are now visible on TV - only one weekly. Many of the most able ones now work for other people.

As you say, the young apprentices are even less visible being young. Some were only sixteen on the show, and like Zara, some are now doing the second part of their A levels. Others have gone to university. Its not surprising they are not visible, or building businesses, and there's no information on where a lot are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is the last year of YP from what I've read, it's simply not as popular as the adult version.

There are rumours that the BBC want to end it after this series, but they haven't officially confirmed that. It wouldn't surprise me though, as it has low ratings, and the BBC are obviously trying to keep them low by putting this series on at 8pm, not 9pm. Lord Sugar is threatening to move to another channel if they axe it though. I hope he does, I like it more than the adult version, and it is a great opportunity for young people, one of which I am.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew and Steven.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope it's true, to be honest.

I enjoy it, but not as much as the main/adult series. Two series per year is too much for most people and I'd hate to see the main series suffer because of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Order wrote: »
    I hope it's true, to be honest.

I enjoy it, but not as much as the main/adult series. Two series per year is too much for most people and I'd hate to see the main series suffer because of it.

Well, Big Brother gets away with having two series per year - an ordinary version and a celebrity edition. If the BB format can cope with having two series a year for such a long time, why can't The Apprentice? The Apprentice doesn't eat up your life as much as Big Brother does anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    Well, Big Brother gets away with having two series per year - an ordinary version and a celebrity edition. If the BB format can cope with having two series a year for such a long time, why can't The Apprentice? The Apprentice doesn't eat up your life as much as Big Brother does anyway.

I share your view.

I hope it isn't axed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    Quite a few weeks into the show and I now know the people left are Lucy, Ashleigh, Maria, Patrick, Navdeep and the two other guys. I am good with names usually, so to me it's not a good sign if I can't remember who they are. They also look similar to me, the main difference between being the skin and the height. Having watched the show for years, I know usually when I cant' recall names like this, I'm not the only one and have never seen these candidates win!

And to note, it's not because they are poor candidates, they just blend in more than stand out . . .

You're welcome to your opinion. I don't personally share it -
    I have noticed Andrew & think he's good, as do some others on DS.

Re "(I) have never seen these candidates win!" You don't have to win to benefit from the programme. On reality TV programmes, the real winners often don't win the programme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Stephen and Andrew are both better candidates than at least Patrick, so I don't think their ability has got that much to do with why you can't identify them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    martenla wrote: »
    I think Stephen and Andrew are both better candidates than at least Patrick, so I don't think their ability has got that much to do with why you can't identify them.

Steven is better than Patrick, Andrew is about on par with him, I reckon. And I do think that Patrick has quite an eccentric style about him, and is easier to pick out than either of those two.
  • Options
    IzzyInTheHouseIzzyInTheHouse Posts: 4,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know one is Steven and one is Andrew, but they look quite similar, so I do get confused :o

Andrew is the more spotty one, and Steven is the one who was in the boardroom last week I think?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steven is better than Patrick, Andrew is about on par with him, I reckon. And I do think that Patrick has quite an eccentric style about him, and is easier to pick out than either of those two.

Nah Andrew is definitely better than Patrick! He has much more to say for himself, particularly good at pitching and good at the haggling task. Hasn't made any grievous errors that I can think of (bar overspending in the tea task, but that was arguably because of poor direction from PM).

I see Andrew as a decent candidate, probably got more to offer, whereas Patrick is just a bit rubbish. Patrick does have a distinctive look though so that's probably why OP remembered him over the other boys.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    I still like the show, but they could get rid of Alan 'one-trick-pony Sugar as far as I'm concerned. He's a berk. Fun to laugh at, but the jokes wearing very thin now.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member

The BBC I think may have too many shows to fit in . Its got 3 adult variants of masterchef running and one of the best is running on BBC2 with no slots on BBC 1 - and is actually programmed against Young Apprentice. I imagine masterchef is cheaper???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    martenla wrote: »
    Nah Andrew is definitely better than Patrick! He has much more to say for himself, particularly good at pitching and good at the haggling task. Hasn't made any grievous errors that I can think of (bar overspending in the tea task, but that was arguably because of poor direction from PM).

I see Andrew as a decent candidate, probably got more to offer, whereas Patrick is just a bit rubbish. Patrick does have a distinctive look though so that's probably why OP remembered him over the other boys.

I disagree, I don't think Andrew has been good at all. He was very strong on the cookery book task, but since then he hasn't really done anything spectacular, and has been quite consistently weak in my opinion. He appears to be better than Patrick, because he has a way about him that makes him appear confident, but if you think about what he's actually done, he hasn't done that much more than Patrick. Even when he won as PM, it wasn't a good win, and he probably would have been fired if they'd lost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree, I don't think Andrew has been good at all. He was very strong on the cookery book task, but since then he hasn't really done anything spectacular, and has been quite consistently weak in my opinion. He appears to be better than Patrick, because he has a way about him that makes him appear confident, but if you think about what he's actually done, he hasn't done that much more than Patrick. Even when he won as PM, it wasn't a good win, and he probably would have been fired if they'd lost.

I respectfully disagree, at least in part.

Without question, Andrew's weakest task was Week 5, but he has shown plenty of skills in previous weeks that put Patrick to shame. He certainly was strong in Week 1, selling strongly and he was the highest seller at the market. In Week 2, as you say, he performed very well in the pitches and identified what was wrong very quickly, but he was ignored.
    Week 3 was a bad week for him in terms of management, because he didn't really manage it all that well. However, he was excellent when it came to performing on the task. His negotiations were terrific, especially the car. I wrote at the time that it was frustrating that he didn't plan that well, because he did a great job on the negotiation side and had he got the cash register at the end, it could have been a lot better than it was. Week 4 was quite a strong week again, in my opinion, particularly as he ran the kitchen extremely effectively. Compare this to Platinum's kitchen which was a mess from start to finish and consider that Odyssey's kitchen had more people in at the start. Lord Sugar said he didn't take his experience and apply it to the task, as far as I'm concerned he did, with the structure of the kitchen.
    As for Week 5, as I say, it was a weak task, but lets not forget he contributed a lot to the design stage and he delivered an extremely efficient pitch.

What has Patrick done in that time? Are you really suggesting he's done anywhere near as much as Andrew? I think its quite insulting to compare the two when all Patrick has done is fail completely at PM (though I will admit he was good at the design stage of Task 1), mess up the pitch in Week 2 and wander around criticizing whoever's sub-team he isn't on. I really do think that making comparisons between the two is unfair on Andrew and I really do think that you are completely disregarding a lot of what he's done.

ETA: Oh and I fancy Maria would have been fired in Week 3 had they lost considering most of the team kept talking about how she hadn't really learned from the previous week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I respectfully disagree, at least in part.

Without question, Andrew's weakest task was Week 5, but he has shown plenty of skills in previous weeks that put Patrick to shame. He certainly was strong in Week 1, selling strongly and he was the highest seller at the market. In Week 2, as you say, he performed very well in the pitches and identified what was wrong very quickly, but he was ignored.
    Week 3 was a bad week for him in terms of management, because he didn't really manage it all that well. However, he was excellent when it came to performing on the task. His negotiations were terrific, especially the car. I wrote at the time that it was frustrating that he didn't plan that well, because he did a great job on the negotiation side and had he got the cash register at the end, it could have been a lot better than it was. Week 4 was quite a strong week again, in my opinion, particularly as he ran the kitchen extremely effectively. Compare this to Platinum's kitchen which was a mess from start to finish and consider that Odyssey's kitchen had more people in at the start. Lord Sugar said he didn't take his experience and apply it to the task, as far as I'm concerned he did, with the structure of the kitchen.
    As for Week 5, as I say, it was a weak task, but lets not forget he contributed a lot to the design stage and he delivered an extremely efficient pitch.

What has Patrick done in that time? Are you really suggesting he's done anywhere near as much as Andrew? I think its quite insulting to compare the two when all Patrick has done is fail completely at PM (though I will admit he was good at the design stage of Task 1), mess up the pitch in Week 2 and wander around criticizing whoever's sub-team he isn't on. I really do think that making comparisons between the two is unfair on Andrew and I really do think that you are completely disregarding a lot of what he's done.

ETA: Oh and I fancy Maria would have been fired in Week 3 had they lost considering most of the team kept talking about how she hadn't really learned from the previous week.

Okay, fair enough, maybe you've seen something in Andrew I haven't seen. We all do that. As you know, I was a fan of Laura Moore, a candidate who nearly everyone else thought was a waste of space... we all see different things in the candidates, that's what is so great about the debates! I'll look out for Andrew in the next task.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, fair enough, maybe you've seen something in Andrew I haven't seen. We all do that. As you know, I was a fan of Laura Moore, a candidate who nearly everyone else thought was a waste of space... we all see different things in the candidates, that's what is so great about the debates! I'll look out for Andrew in the next task.

Hear, Hear! I'm not saying he's perfect, just that he's done more than Patrick.
    Who's your favourite, atm? :)