Options

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) Wednesday 16th BBC Four 23:00

quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
Forum Member
No doubt an influential, iconic classic but also one that seems to be a love/hate movie that divides opinion.

I've never seen it so I'll be setting the recorder.

Comments

• Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the blu-ray version as part of a Kubrick box set. It is a great film but to really understand it I think you need to read the book. I guarantee that on first viewing the credits will roll and you'll think, "what the hell did I just watch?" :D
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    No doubt an influential, iconic classic but also one that seems to be a love/hate movie that divides opinion.

Wow. Thanks for this. I had heard that it was on this week - for some reason, I thought that Film 4 would be showing it.

Yes. It tends to divide people. I have seen it before. Trouble is - I really do think that the small screen doesn't do it any favours. It really does need to be seen on a big screen - and in 70 mm - like it was intended to be seen. However, there are themes and ideas in the film - it's difficult to get into - but there's stuff in the film.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,198
    Forum Member
    Without doubt the most horrendously boring experience in my 70 + years of cinema going, and friends actually took me to see it as a treat for my 30th birthday. :o

It is just a coincidence that they are no longer my friends. :D
  • Options
    St DabeocSt Dabeoc Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it doesn't divide my opinion
    I saw it at the Gaumont, Aberdeen, when I was 11
    I was never the same since, and I nearly got beaten up on the way home
    And Leonard Rossiter is in it, for goodness sake!
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've only seen it on TV but I thought it was a great film.........but I had read the book before seeing the film
    It's certainly carved out a place in popular culture as any 'computer gone wrong' is commonly referred to as Hal
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    St Dabeoc wrote: »
    it doesn't divide my opinion
    I saw it at the Gaumont, Aberdeen, when I was 11
    I was never the same since, and I nearly got beaten up on the way home
    And Leonard Rossiter is in it, for goodness sake!

He was also in Barry Lyndon, Kubrick's best film IMO, but sadly one which most people don't seem to have heard of.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It needs editing to cut back on the tedious "nothing happening in space, again" sequences, mostly the first half of the film.

Of course I'm joking. In it's day I imagine there was a real sense of wonder in those sequences. They still hold up visually, but OMG are they boring!

Gaze in wonder as the space ship carrying SpaceDad slowly makes it's way to the moon. Then it lands on the moon. Slowly.
    Soon we shall witness a spaceship rotate as SpaceDave walks around it. Slowly.

2001: Slowly Going Where No Man Has Gone Before.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2001 is an immense movie in every respect.

It starts in darkness, then we see the Sun and the Moon from the Earth. Everything is so laden with symbolism. The movie never lets up after that.

I agree that the movie is even better on the big screen. I was lucky enough to see the 2001 on a giant screen in the Thompson Dry Dock in Belfast where the Titanic was built. Totally surreal experience.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watched it one christmas evening up at my aunties, and sat there in AWE, after twelve ..... first time i'd seen it too!

haven't read the book though, but did so with 2010 and love that movie .....
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in lovely HD I assume .
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in lovely HD I assume .

HD doesn't do the opening scenes any favours: it shows up the front projection plates of the African backgrounds rather obviously.
    The rest still looks incredible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    shaddler wrote: »
    He was also in Barry Lyndon, Kubrick's best film IMO, but sadly one which most people don't seem to have heard of.

I have...............its absolutely brilliant.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member

I'd heard a lot of negative stuff about Barry Lyndon but loved it - one of the most beautiful films ever made, every scene is a work of art.

As for 2001, it's my all time favourite movie. There's a big lecture theatre in my former workplace and, during the holidays, I had a private showing one day on a big screen - awesome :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

using those NASA cameras for the candlelit scenes
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member

Great movie but Kubrick fell out with Arthur C Clarke over the ending. If you watch the film try to read by novel that Clarke wrote (not the short story the Sentinal) based on the screenplay.

The end was changed making it a bit confusing.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the novel is a bit more clear about why HAL goes nuts - he's given an impossible dilemma , a dilemma easy enough for humans but not robots , but the reason is in the movie , it's just kinda not clear . I think Kubrick wanted it to be a bit more open to interpretation , HAL is like a child or any new being : he's vulnerable to pride , fear of losing approval etc.

• Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do think that the opening 'chimp' sequence is far too long at around 10 minutes
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have the blu-ray version as part of a Kubrick box set.

I have that box too. 2001 is a fabulous film (and I did read the book first).
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I bought that Blu Ray box set (a Black Friday deal) just to get Barry Lyndon, which is only available separately on import.

It's the only Kubrick film (including shorts) that I've not seen so that's scheduled for a Christmas treat.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't alter a second. It isn't perfect, but there is something rather genius about it.

As a film you experience rather than follow, it has few, if any, peers.
  • Options
    DAVE-ODAVE-O Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    2001: A Space Odyssey is a visual masterpiece, even by today's standards. But it's not sci-fi movie that will have you on the edge of your seat with excitement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I do think that the opening 'chimp' sequence is far too long at around 10 minutes

When I watched it recently I did feel that part dragged on a bit too long. I also thought it hadn't aged very well, but considering when it was made it was certainly the best Kubrick could have done at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    I bought that Blu Ray box set (a Black Friday deal) just to get Barry Lyndon, which is only available separately on import.

It's the only Kubrick film (including shorts) that I've not seen so that's scheduled for a Christmas treat.

And you are in for a treat. The scene where Barry meets Lady Lyndon at a candlelit gaming table is absolutely sublime. The lighting, direction and acting are a joy to watch, you'll see what I mean. The whole thing is great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

can't watch that bit without thinking of Terry Gilliam's p1ss tale on Monty Python
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    St Dabeoc wrote: »
    can't watch that bit without thinking of Terry Gilliam's p1ss tale on Monty Python

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLfN9psJo_E