Options

Strong, effective female characters in cult TV

Come on, let's hear it for the girls! Cult TV has come a long way from the likes of Dale Arden et al, screaming and waiting to be rescued by the hunky hero!
Who would be your favourite female cult TV character who displays that women don't just have to be eyecandy (though that helps, of course! :))
Doesn't have to be a main character....

Comments

• Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    womens roles are far better on tv than film
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Xena?
    Buffy?
    Supergirl?
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Susan Ivanova... Delenn...Lyta Alexander....

Babylon 5 had some of the strongest female characters in any series...

BSG has to be good for that as well. Starbuck, Roslin, the female cylons....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nancy from Weeds!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dana Scully
    and
    Alex Drake

;):)

kob xx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BSG makes no distinction between the genders of characters. That, I think, is brilliant. The president and the ace fighter pilot are women, and it matters not a jot to anyone.
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Histeria wrote: »
    BSG makes no distinction between the genders of characters. That, I think, is brilliant. The president and the ace fighter pilot are women, and it matters not a jot to anyone.

It does always seem a bit strange in their locker room though!!
  • Options
    ElectratElectrat Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buffy (sorry to be so obvious)
    Zoe - Firefly
    Aeryn Sun - Farscape
    Sydney Bristow - Alias
    Elektra (couldn't leave her out, she's got my name except for a bit of poor spelling)
  • Options
    bobblabobbla Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sydney in Alias and Starbuck in BSG are my two favourite female characters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    Veronica Mars!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    Miss Hoolie and Edie McCredie
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Sarah Connor
  • Options
    Jimmy Big LegsJimmy Big Legs Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    I really like the character of Debra Morgan in Dexter.

On the one hand, she's a feisty, foul-mouthed female who just wants to suceed in her male-dominated career. Yet at the same time she's also very awkward and insecure.

I've noticed the actress who plays her gets a hell of a lot of stick on various messages boards across the interweb. I've never understood why. To me, she plays the part very naturally, and I find the character a complete breath of fresh air compared to the rest of the Hollywood/Televisionland clones.
  • Options
    Kittycat73Kittycat73 Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder Woman :)
    Faith (Always preferred her to Buffy! :p )
    Cordelia
    Claire Bennet
    Servalan (spl?)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kittycat73 wrote: »
    Wonder Woman :)
    Faith (Always preferred her to Buffy! :p )
    Cordelia
    Claire Bennet
    Servalan (spl?)

I'd add Willow to that list as well (Joss does write some good female characters).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daveydje wrote: »
    I'd add Willow to that list as well (Joss does write some good female characters).

and Anya (not Tara - pathetic female character)
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with most of the characters named above (there's one or two from programmes I've never watched so I can't comment on those) but here's another couple to add to the list:

Samantha Carter - Stargate
    Kathryn Janeway - Star Trek Voyager
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Donna Noble, whilst with the Doctor :)
  • Options
    applesandpearsapplesandpears Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Bit of an obvious candidate considering the new movie coming out, but I'd have to put in a vote for Scully.

Of course she had her damsel in distress moments, it was pretty well balanced between her and Mulder, and even when she did have a pretty monumental damsel in distress situation with her abduction, the unfolding consequences of that were tackled by her a great deal of the time. Also, there was also Mulder's abduction which once again, helped put a great deal of balance between the two.

Anyway, there's a lot of stuff I could see about Scully, but overall I think the X-Files was pretty good for female characters overall. I did like Monica Reyes - but there wasn't a great deal of time to flesh her out too much as a character. I did really enjoy the other, supporting characters, that might not have had the same about of screentime, but had a longer tenure on the show on a recurring basis to blossom. Marita for example - was a great character - strong and sexy in her first couple of seasons before being turned on by the conspiracy, before coming back at the end of season seven to help Mulder and Scully and get her revenge on CSM.

Also, I think that Buffy was a great series for female characters - not just for the title character, but for the huge range of strong, female characters they had on the roster.

Willow - a massive character development going on, which to me, was just as important as Buffy's.

There was Joyce - perhaps one of the greatest tv Moms of all time, who was just a joy to watch.

There was Anya - fantastic female comedy role, not to mention some great villains (Dru for example).

I think almost all of the main female characters who cropped up on the show were pretty great to be honest - I liked Tara too, not a massively vocal or intense character, but she grew through season six before her untimely demise.
  • Options
    handymelonhandymelon Posts: 15,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kira from DS9
    Stacie from Hustle
    The first incarnation of Romana from Dr Who

- all strong-minded, intelligent people who were the equals of the male characters any day of the week.
  • Options
    GrimmGhostGrimmGhost Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Niki Sanders' alter ego (Heroes)

Callisto (Xena)
  • Options
    martinamerlotmartinamerlot Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan from Blake's 7.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vicki Nelson from Blood Ties.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xena
    Cpt. Janeway
    Sam Carter
    Vala Mal Doran (for comedy value as much as anything else)
    Sarah Connor
    Starbuck
    Buffy
  • Options
    SnappSnapp Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one & only Cordelia Chase.