Jesus died for our Sins...

Comments

• neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    WHat about Jesus "ascending into heaven", into the clouds, like RIchard Branson in his hot air balloon?

Are we supposed to take that seriously, or not?

Which bits of the bible are real, and which false?
    T'was a rhetorical question. I'm really after a reply from our resident religionists, but I won;t get one ......
    Not sure what sort of answer you expect from " our resident religionists". Different people believe different things. Some believe that it is all to be taken literally. Some believe at least part of it is metaphor.
  • talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WHat about Jesus "ascending into heaven", into the clouds, like RIchard Branson in his hot air balloon?

Are we supposed to take that seriously, or not?

Which bits of the bible are real, and which false?

The ascension of Christ into heaven is an essential key part of Christianity, deny this and you are denying the resurrection etc.

Personally I believe the whole Bible, fact is stranger than fiction and many things most people like to just dismiss as fantasy stories should be taken more serious as anything with God behind it is possible.
    AppleTango wrote: »
    Religious people just cherry pick at their own leisure.

So all the nice bits about being kind to each other are true but all the bad bits about slaughtering animals and raping children are false.

Religious fake Christians might do this, but people like myself who are true Christians do not. Yes there are accounts of various horrid acts in the Bible, but so what, its not condoning them and those which God instructed people to do to their enemies in warfare etc where killing everyone was common place, is fair game, especailly for those days.
  • AppleTangoAppleTango Posts: 1,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Religious fake Christians might do this, but people like myself who are true Christians do not. Yes there are accounts of various horrid acts in the Bible, but so what, its not condoning them and those which God instructed people to do to their enemies in warfare etc where killing everyone was common place, is fair game, especailly for those days.

Yes it is. There are all kinds of sick things.

It states that people who have affairs and homosexuals should be killed. Prostitutes should be burned. There's even a bit where it says God himself will rape and kill women.
  • iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ascension of Christ into heaven is an essential key part of Christianity, deny this and you are denying the resurrection etc.

Personally I believe the whole Bible, fact is stranger than fiction and many things most people like to just dismiss as fantasy stories should be taken more serious as anything with God behind it is possible.

How judgmental of you. 'True Christian' indeed.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MamboJimbo wrote: »
    I can assure that you it wasn't intended as a compliment.
    You're so mean !:(

So you claim to understand it? Excellent. Explain away, then. Explain where the sperm came from that fertilised Mary's ovum and where Jesus got his Y chromosome from.
    What are you on about?

It's my explanation that you don't understand.
  • MamboJimboMamboJimbo Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    It's my explanation that you don't understand.
    I don't recall that you offered an explanation, just some meaningless babble that said absolutely nothing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't recall that you offered an explanation, just some meaningless babble that said absolutely nothing.

Like I said, you just don't understand it.:)
  • talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is. There are all kinds of sick things.

It states that people who have affairs and homosexuals should be killed. Prostitutes should be burned. There's even a bit where it says God himself will rape and kill women.

This is where ignorance of the Bible trips you up. Without getting into another homosexuality debate, like it or not, it is a sin, sexual deviancy under old laws are punishable by death by stoning, so what.

Where does it say that God will rape and kill women? I do not know of that one. Certainly God has those who oppose him and his people utterly destroyed and humiliated as punishment, again so what.

This is a good indication that you should be on Gods side and accept Christ, otherwise horrible death and curses await you.

God is not a lefty do good liberal who follows mans moral codes, idealology and new age thinking. We should be the ones who should obey God.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is where ignorance of the Bible trips you up. Without getting into another homosexuality debate, like it or not, it is a sin, sexual deviancy under old laws are punishable by death by stoning, so what.

Where does it say that God will rape and kill women? I do not know of that one. Certainly God has those who oppose him and his people utterly destroyed and humiliated as punishment, again so what.

This is a good indication that you should be on Gods side and accept Christ, otherwise horrible death and curses await you.

God is not a lefty do good liberal who follows mans moral codes, idealology and new age thinking. We should be the ones who should obey God.

Wow. :eek:
  • iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Genuinely scary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where does it say that God will rape and kill women? I do not know of that one.

Isaiah 3:17
    “the Lord will smite with a scab the heads of the daughters of Zion, and the Lord will lay bare their secret parts.”

This God chap sounds like a great guy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    St. Paul wrote Christ came to deliver us from the Old Testament as well as sins.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lynxmale wrote: »
    St. Paul wrote Christ came to deliver us from the Old Testament as well as sins.

The shittiest thing in the old testament was god.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't obey some pathetic make believe God, nor do I I live in fear of a Lord who sounds like a right nob. I bet he was gay himself but couldn't accept it so that's why he started smighting homosexuals.

I'll do whatever the hell I want in my life thankyou very much and I stick two big fingers up at this God. Infact, I'm going to go out and shag as much arse as I possibly can just to piss him off even more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't obey some pathetic make believe God, nor do I I live in fear of a Lord who sounds like a right nob. I bet he was gay himself but couldn't accept it so that's why he started smighting homosexuals.

I'll do whatever the hell I want in my life thankyou very much and I stick two big fingers up at this God. Infact, I'm going to go out and shag as much arse as I possibly can just to piss him off even more.

All that to annoy a God you don;t believe in? :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    I stick two big fingers up at this God. Infact, I'm going to go out and shag as much arse as I possibly can just to piss him off even more.
    No doubt you will.
    I look forward to our gifted simian's response.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »

More to annoy religious nuts like you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »

I'm sure he's doing it because he enjoys shagging arse, the fact it pisses off a non-existent deity is just a bonus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More to annoy religious nuts like you.

What for? What did I ever do to you?:confused::confused:
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    God is not a lefty do good liberal...

Jesus was a bit of a hippie, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Like I said, you just don't understand it.:)

So explain it then. Explain how
    Jesus was the word made flesh by the power of the holy spirit.

is supposed to be an answer to the questions:
    How was Mary's ovum fertilised? Whose sperm was it? Where did Jesus, being male, get 50% of his genetic material not to mention his Y chromosome from?
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Using threats and spreading fear is a pretty shitty way to encourage people to support you.

Your God's moral code appears to fall way below that of the majority of decent human beings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    Using threats and spreading fear is a pretty shitty way to encourage people to support you.

Your God's moral code appears to fall way below that of the majority of decent human beings.

Indeed it appears to fall a long way below that of the average 1960s East End gangster or Mafia don.
  • IluvminiskinsIluvminiskins Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't we all just get along, whatever we believe in??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So explain it then. Explain how

Jesus was the word made flesh by the power of the holy spirit.