Options

Has coming out damaged Joe McElderry's career?

Comments

• Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dory353 wrote: »
    Obviously his last single bombed at #67 but do you think his sexuality has influenced his career dive in any way? I find it very sad if so, it's the 21st century.

Once upon a time, both ordinary individuals and celebrities suffered a negative reaction to being homosexual. I feel that now, however, revealing oneself to be gay has exactly the opposite effect, using Will Young as a case in point. The judges do not choose the x factor winner, the public have that dubious honour. Simon Cowell is not a charity; Joe got his 12 month recording contract, as stipulated under competition rules, and now he is not regarded as a money making vehicle by Simon, so why ought he to keep him on his record label?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    with his target audience its not a good idea to come out as gay
    but he was probably forced into it as the tabs had the good on him

Who the hell is this guy anyway:eek:
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As other users have said, it has nothing to do with his sexuality but sadly everything to do with him having nothing of any quality to work with.

He has a good voice but the songs he released were bland. Some on here have even mentioned his personality being of the same description, although I don't think his quieter personality was a contributing factor in his being dropped from the label.

Good songs are the key, just like they were for the huge success of Elton John's career (also a gay male). So either Joe team up with better song-writers and producers in future if he still wants to be a recording artist, or he just stick with musical theatre (which seems to be a good option atm).
  • Options
    BatmanLaBatmanBatmanLaBatman Posts: 3,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    Good songs are the key, just like they were for the huge success of Elton John's career (also a gay male).

Elton John didn't come out until two decades into his career.
    Slojo wrote: »
    So it takes no carisma and no personality to make it in musical theatre.:rolleyes:

I think you have just P***d off the entire West End :)

:D I don't know whether to laugh, cry or scream whenever I read musical theatre suggested for some talent show contestants and other recording artists as if musical theatre were the poor relation or the natural resort of those who don't make it in the recording industry. It takes far greater vocal control and power and genuine stage presence (not the nerve to "perform" even if you can't that people describe as stage presence these days) to be a stage actor/singer.
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QUOTE]

Was still successful after he came out and if he released a record now, would still probably sell well.
  • Options
    BatmanLaBatmanBatmanLaBatman Posts: 3,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    Was still successful after he came out and if he released a record now, would still probably sell well.

Funnily enough, his flagging career was resurrected in the mid-80s by having George Michael (who hadn't come out at the time either) sing backing vocals on one of his singles.
  • Options
    Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    It's being a male XF winner that's damaged his career. They are notoriously mismanaged imo.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    I think this shows that the whole X factor/BGT as a factory for talent as a bit of a failure

When they contestants are on the show and getting 10+million viewers they do well

but as soon as that is removed and they have to stand up as a proper artist they fail

I can only think of Susan boyle as someone who will have any sort of career

Since the internet has killed record sales the money is now in touring

I always think would someone pay £40+ to watch 90 min of this person

Singing a load of covers? I doubt it
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this shows that the whole X factor/BGT as a factory for talent as a bit of a failure

When they contestants are on the show and getting 10+million viewers they do well

but as soon as that is removed and they have to stand up as a proper artist they fail

Indeed. Months of primetime TV exposure, rallying 'fans' who are at one time proactive enough to phone up and vote for you, and then a few months on, no one gives a toss... Just shows you what a waste of time these shows are, the lack of genuine talent that they find and how fickle the viewers are. As for Cowell, I doubt he'd give a toss if Joe McElderry was found in the bottom of a river tomorrow. For all the arse-licking that goes on in his direction, the fact that he's able to consistently mismanage such hugely well-exposed singers so quickly and to such a career-buggering degree doesn't exactly speak to his skills and knowledge as a force in the music world.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought it was more of a vote for Cheryl than a vote for Joe. I could never understand him winning, he has no appeal about him at all, and I think him coming out (like another poster said) actually prolonged his career (if you can call it that).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot believe little 'Jaw' is gay? Bless his heart. Does it matter nowadays?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    Indeed. Months of primetime TV exposure, rallying 'fans' who are at one time proactive enough to phone up and vote for you, and then a few months on, no one gives a toss... Just shows you what a waste of time these shows are, the lack of genuine talent that they find and how fickle the viewers are. As for Cowell, I doubt he'd give a toss if Joe McElderry was found in the bottom of a river tomorrow. For all the arse-licking that goes on in his direction, the fact that he's able to consistently mismanage such hugely well-exposed singers so quickly and to such a career-buggering degree doesn't exactly speak to his skills and knowledge as a force in the music world.

Now there's a story. Louis has more credibility as a force in the music world! :eek:
  • Options
    Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member

I'm old enough to remember that the song Nikita created quite a storm because in Russia, Nikita is more a boy's name than it is one for girls. That's when people were starting to talk about whether or not Elton might actually be gay. (as if the crazy outfits weren't proof enough).

Usually the people coming out in big announcements on TV shows or magazines are the ones everyone already knows about. Ricky Martin being the best example. I don't think anyone was shocked there.

With Joe, I think it's great that he's come out so early on in his career. It would have been much easier on him if he had been able to be himself from day one, but then I can imagine that X Factor might not have been that successful for him. Girls vote more than boys after all...
  • Options
    waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elton John admitted to being Bisexual in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine in 1976 - about 10 years before Nikita was released.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dory353 wrote: »
    Obviously his last single bombed at #67 but do you think his sexuality has influenced his career dive in any way? I find it very sad if so, it's the 21st century.

I doubt it, it didn't hinder Will Young. Having the worst songs imaginable will have damaged his career. He needs to head towards musical theatre tho, IMO. That's his area.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funnily enough, his flagging career was resurrected in the mid-80s by having George Michael (who hadn't come out at the time either) sing backing vocals on one of his singles.

Elton was having hits with I'm Still Standing and Sad Songs in the mid 80s, so his career wasn't flagging. He was also, at the time, married to that Renata. Coming out the closet didn't harm Elton one bit and neither should it have. His classic songs and the success he's enjoyed with them speak for themselves. Joe has a good voice and seems like a nice lad, but that's it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it, it didn't hinder Will Young. Having the worst songs imaginable will have damaged his career. He needs to head towards musical theatre tho, IMO. That's his area.

Out of curiosity: When was the last time you actually watched Joe perform and listened to his songs?

When was the last time you went to a musical?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Joe was apparently up early this morning......

.......he really should have a lie in now he's unemployed!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's so tragic on joe that even the artist of a song he covered is promoting him at her own gigs!
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/music/3540155/Nerina-Joe-McElderry-can-blame-me.html
    Unless the sun are dramatising it, but Nerina Pallot seems the sweetie to try and plug him out of kindness.

I don't think coming out affected him, people suspected it. Poor promotion, production, delays and SyCo are to blame in my eyes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Califa wrote: »
    It's so tragic on joe that even the artist of a song he covered is promoting him at her own gigs!
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/music/3540155/Nerina-Joe-McElderry-can-blame-me.html
    Unless the sun are dramatising it, but Nerina Pallot seems the sweetie to try and plug him out of kindness.

I don't think coming out affected him, people suspected it. Poor promotion, production, delays and SyCo are to blame in my eyes.

Someone at the gig also said she took a shot at his managment - but of course the Scum wouldn't report that bit.
  • Options
    lovely_ladylovely_lady Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    Such a shame he is gay and he came across as such a lovely boy :(
  • Options
    Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    waz101 wrote: »
    Elton John admitted to being Bisexual in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine in 1976 - about 10 years before Nikita was released.

Fair enough, but he wasn't openly having relationships with men until long after.
  • Options
    Candy StoreCandy Store Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member
    Rose*~* wrote: »
    I'm old enough to remember that the song Nikita created quite a storm because in Russia, Nikita is more a boy's name than it is one for girls. That's when people were starting to talk about whether or not Elton might actually be gay. (as if the crazy outfits weren't proof enough).

Usually the people coming out in big announcements on TV shows or magazines are the ones everyone already knows about. Ricky Martin being the best example. I don't think anyone was shocked there.

With Joe, I think it's great that he's come out so early on in his career. It would have been much easier on him if he had been able to be himself from day one, but then I can imagine that X Factor might not have been that successful for him. Girls vote more than boys after all...

Crazy outfits are no indication of sexuality.

Joe didn't really depend on the girly vote. Most of his support came from the older viewers.
  • Options
    Candy StoreCandy Store Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member
    Such a shame he is gay and he came across as such a lovely boy :(
    So he can't be gay and be a lovely boy?

Which century is it where you live?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adayseye wrote: »
    Someone at the gig also said she took a shot at his managment - but of course the Scum wouldn't report that bit.

She had the right to shoot the management but of course that paper lick the crevices of simon cowell and his cronies...I presume.