Options

Super Hub 2 - Just advice on settings

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
Hi,
Installed my Suber Hub 2 today. Finally upgraded and the Linksys router and Surfboard SB4100 modem are in the cupboard :(

But I was very chuffed with a speedtest that clocked 54mB and I did a torrent download test and that was very speedy as well.

Now to the question....
I've just left it as default settings (apart from passwords) but are there any recommended settings to use?

With my previous setup I used static IPs and port forwarding for some programmes.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    The network activity light is constantly flickering.

On the old Surfboard the activity light was only on when there was internet activity.

Sometimes when it came on I thought to myself "eh, what downloading now then" and check if something was accessing the net.

Is the Super Hub light monitoring home network activity? If so, what's the point?
  • Options
    TAZMANUKTAZMANUK Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    The network activity light is constantly flickering.

On the old Surfboard the activity light was only on when there was internet activity.

Sometimes when it came on I thought to myself "eh, what downloading now then" and check if something was accessing the net.

Is the Super Hub light monitoring home network activity? If so, what's the point?

Don't worry this is normal
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The router was working fine for 3 weeks then yesterday the downstairs PC and Sky box couldn't detect the signal.

I rebooted the router and changed the signal channel to 11 and that fixed it.
    Today only the On light was lit and so had to reboot it again.

Anyone else has problems with the router losing it's signal?
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The router was working fine for 3 weeks then yesterday the downstairs PC and Sky box couldn't detect the signal.

I rebooted the router and changed the signal channel to 11 and that fixed it.
    Today only the On light was lit and so had to reboot it again.

Anyone else has problems with the router losing it's signal?

I have been having problems for about 3 weeks. The internet would randomly drop it's connection. Had a new Superhub and 2 engineer visits and the same issue remained. The Superhub would just go offline randomly. Sometimes it would reconnect, sometimes not.
    According to the 2nd engineer who visited there's network issues that's covering the whole country at the moment and they're fixing it.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pucky wrote: »
    I have been having problems for about 3 weeks. The internet would randomly drop it's connection. Had a new Superhub and 2 engineer visits and the same issue remained. The Superhub would just go offline randomly. Sometimes it would reconnect, sometimes not.
    According to the 2nd engineer who visited there's network issues that's covering the whole country at the moment and they're fixing it.

I've seen similar with my SH1 configured in modem mode, the connection will be lost and the SH will then remake the connection. This happened for a couple of days a month or so ago and I was about to report this when it stopped, now it's started again today.

The problem is that the server status page is always clean, if it stated that you may get intermittent problems then you'd know it's not worth reporting. Whenever there's a clear problem the server status page is often updated after the problem is fixed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pucky wrote: »
    That a internet/modem problem though. With mine the Wifi signal drops/disappears.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So much for no problems.

Was surfing the other night and it just completely died.

Just had the engineer round and he's replaced the hub. He said it was probably from a faulty batch.
  • Options
    jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That a internet/modem problem though. With mine the Wifi signal drops/disappears.

Same here, everything shows a wifi signal but no internet connectivity resulting in the router needing rebooting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jwball wrote: »
    Same here, everything shows a wifi signal but no internet connectivity resulting in the router needing rebooting.
    Since the engineer replaced the Superhub i've had no problems. Maybe you should phone up and ask them to replace it.
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Superhub looks prettier than the VMDG280 but does not give me any speed increase, so I still only get 20 mbps.

The engineer who came today said my PC is too old. It is a Dell 530 I bought in 2009 and has an Intel(R) 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection.

Presumably I would have to upgrade the PC with a new Ethernet card, in order to get the "free" increase in speed.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    Presumably I would have to upgrade the PC with a new Ethernet card, in order to get the "free" increase in speed.

Yes. Have a look on Amazon, Ebay etc. You can get a Gigabit ethernet card for less than a tenner.