Options

Gary Barlow Genuine Or After A Knighthood?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,682
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Was a fan of him and he seems like a decent bloke that does a lot of charity work, but lately it all just feels a lttle less spontaneous and more calculated from him. With fellow celebs throwing around the word knighthood when he does an interview make s me wonder if thats the real goal.:o

Comments

• Options
    Miss NMiss N Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be silly. I'm offended on behalf of the lovely Gary :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll actually be sick if he ever picks up a knighthood, however, they seem to hand them out to just about anyone these days:rolleyes:
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Gary and supported him on X-Factor..

..but the thought has crossed my mind.

He is definitely playing 'The Establishment' game.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to like him but had a major turn off with his antics on XFactor.
  • Options
    UpInMyFaceUpInMyFace Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you have to get an MBE/CBE first?

I don't think you can go straight into a knighthood can you? either way David Beckham would surely be in line before Gary Barlow I would have thought.
  • Options
    HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UpInMyFace wrote: »
    Don't you have to get an MBE/CBE first?

I don't think you can go straight into a knighthood can you? either way David Beckham would surely be in line before Gary Barlow I would have thought.

They usually get OBE/CBE due to their age, it's rare to see a "Sir" under 50.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tory Boy Barlow will have it in his sights.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Gary and supported him on X-Factor..

..but the thought has crossed my mind.

He is definitely playing 'The Establishment' game.

This is what I meant, I wasn't saying he;s a bad person just that I don't feel his work is as genuine as it once was.:(
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he is an adult who wants to be a good role-model to his children.:)

His earlier rabble-rousing is all in the past...............and as for a desire for a knighthood :rolleyes: ,I think Gary would find that implication quite as offensive as I do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His earlier rabble-rousing is all in the past...............and as for a desire for a knighthood :rolleyes: ,I think Gary would find that implication quite as offensive as I do.

DD - we finally agree on something!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss N wrote: »
    DD - we finally agree on something!! :D

Most reasonable people really aren't a million miles apart.;)
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member

:confused: I'm guessing you and Gary are pretty close if you can predict how offended he would be, never mind being offended yourself to the extent you reckon the man himself would be!

As for the subject matter, I do agree that he comes across as trying too hard. He is one of those who is being shoved in our faces far too much as being one of UK's biggest, most credible stars, and to be honest I'm getting quite sick of him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    :confused: I'm guessing you and Gary are pretty close if you can predict how offended he would be, never mind being offended yourself to the extent you reckon the man himself would be!

As for the subject matter, I do agree that he comes across as trying too hard. He is one of those who is being shoved in our faces far too much as being one of UK's biggest, most credible stars, and to be honest I'm getting quite sick of him.

As Gary is a northerner like me, I know for sure he would be offended!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big dan wrote: »

No. Your guess is wrong. I don't know GB.

I do know enough about him though to hazzaard a guess about his personality and I stand by my statement.:)
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsOrin wrote: »
    Was a fan of him and he seems like a decent bloke that does a lot of charity work, but lately it all just feels a lttle less spontaneous and more calculated from him. With fellow celebs throwing around the word knighthood when he does an interview make s me wonder if thats the real goal.:o

He might be genuine or he might just be after a knighthood. I'm not really sure to be honest. I suspect a lot of celebrities have ulterior motives for doing good turns/charity work. Because a lot of them depend on their public image, charity work might be their way of keeping that intact. There might be some though, that do charity work because they genuinely want to help. Whatever reason though, the charity's still getting the help it needs.
  • Options
    hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member
    Can't he be genuine and want a knighthood? I don't see the two as mutually eclusive.

If you are saying that every charitable thing he has done has been in the pursuit of an honour, then that is extremely unlikely.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Used to like him but had a major turn off with his antics on XFactor.

^^ This. I never had any opinion on him prior to X-Factor but he really acted like a complete self-important prat on it.

So yeah, on the basis of that, I'll go with yes, he is after a gong of some sort.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    A genuine guy

Deserves a knighthood anyway for his accomplishments as a songwriter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A genuine guy

Deserves a knighthood anyway for his accomplishments as a songwriter.

Theres a lot of songwriters out there that are better than Barlow though, so it wouldn't make sense to give him one for his songwriting skills.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    ^^ This. I never had any opinion on him prior to X-Factor but he really acted like a complete self-important prat on it.

So yeah, on the basis of that, I'll go with yes, he is after a gong of some sort.

How did he act like a complete self important prat?

He is a very talented songwriter and producer so out of all of them that have ever sat on the panel, he is the most qualified. Saying that, there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes by the producers of that show eg. I don't believe the mentors actually chose their own acts, these are picked by the producers.

Gary has always done stuff for Charity..however, when his profile was raised further, he used it to his advantage and more publicity was gained for the charity in question.

I do not for one minute believe he is after a 'gong'. People slate David Walliams for his charity work as well. Beggars belief to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres a lot of songwriters out there that are better than Barlow though, so it wouldn't make sense to give him one for his songwriting skills.

Who? Have you researched Gary...he hasn't just written for Take That, plus he writes the music as well and produces.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who? Have you researched Gary...he hasn't just written for Take That, plus he writes the music as well and produces.

Thom Yorke, Paul Weller, Noel Gallagher, Kate Bush... hell, even Roger Waters doesn't have such a title and he probably walks over all of the above.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't he be genuine and want a knighthood? I don't see the two as mutually eclusive.

If you are saying that every charitable thing he has done has been in the pursuit of an honour, then that is extremely unlikely.

I don't see the point in knighthoods to be honest. Just so you can have a 'sir' before your name? Hmm...
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did he act like a complete self important prat?

He is a very talented songwriter and producer so out of all of them that have ever sat on the panel, he is the most qualified. Saying that, there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes by the producers of that show eg. I don't believe the mentors actually chose their own acts, these are picked by the producers.

Gary has always done stuff for Charity..however, when his profile was raised further, he used it to his advantage and more publicity was gained for the charity in question.

I do not for one minute believe he is after a 'gong'. People slate David Walliams for his charity work as well. Beggars belief to be honest.

I'm not bothered about him one way or the other, I was just responding to a post I agreed with regarding how he came across on X-Factor. I have nothing against the guy, I'm sure his heart is in what he does, but my opinion of him still stands as far as X-Factor goes. Prat. And for the record, I have a huge amount of respect for Walliams. :)

Really, so what if Gary fancied a gong? It's not a crime and I'm not sure why it would be so awful if he did want one, or why people are so defensively denying that he could possibly be thinking about one...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I don't see the point in knighthoods to be honest. Just so you can have a 'sir' before your name? Hmm...

Seems to just go to whoever kisses the monarchs backside anyway... there are a lot of icons out there that really should have such a title, but they have no interest so they give them to those who achieved less.