Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    i miss the box from back in the 90s its shit now
  • Options
    Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    When did The Box (and for that matter, all music channels) stop letting you phone/text in to request songs? I guess when youtube became popular in 2006 it became completely irrelevant.

When we got it back in 1999 it was incredible. I wouldn't buy CD singles anymore, instead I'd phone up and request the song (the number appearing on screen *as you typed it on the phone keypad* which was ridiculously exciting), have a video ready and press record when it appeared. Songs I did this for included 'Better Best Forgotten' by Steps, 'Witch Doctor' by Cartoons, 'Right Here Right Now' by Fatboy Slim...and if they weren't embarrassing enough, 'Thank ABBA For The Music'. :/ Come on, I was ten!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did The Box (and for that matter, all music channels) stop letting you phone/text in to request songs? I guess when youtube became popular in 2006 it became completely irrelevant.

I loved the video text codes! Perhaps one of the reasons why I watched music video channels :D:D! By the time they got rid of it, I immediately tuned out. I think Clubland TV still does it, last time I remember. But yeah, as soon as Youtube/VEVO became an instant hit, music video channels just started declining. This was also around the same time TOTP and CD:UK faced their demise. Plus, many people already knew the new weekly charts via internet forums and Radio 1, hours before TOTP came on. Don't get me started on the CD:UK's TRL style voting bullshit during their final years. That was horrible.
  • Options
    simmersimmer Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Omg! So many memories. I loved the box.