CS Paul: 'Just play the white man'

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
Forum Member
✭✭
Is it just me that thought this was quite random and came out of nowhere? Fair play it's very brave of Corrie to tackle racism in any form, but it just seemed to me a bit... random? :confused:

What do others think?

Comments

• peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure that I would say that they were brave. More like they wanted to do something, but got too scared to. Seems a bit of a fudge.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for my ignorance, bit I don't get it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peach45 wrote: »
    I'm not sure that I would say that they were brave. More like they wanted to do something, but got too scared to. Seems a bit of a fudge.

Well I think the angle they're coming from is not 'out-and-out' racism, but casual racism; the kind of throw-away comment some sections of society use but to most people, doesn't quite 'feel' right and seems an inappropriate thing to say. It's more about the subtleties of casual racism which I think is quite brave, as real life is often casual and not blatant with its prejudices.
  • LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worked well, said in the right context too.
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't help thinking this will just encourage more racism .
  • HaruhiHaruhi Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    It's nice to see a new type of storyline

but yeah, it's kinda random, I don't like Paul anyway though, he just seems like he doesn't belong
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasnt racism but once Lloyd accused Paul of being one then he probably should of realised that Lloyd took offence and apologised.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does it even mean?
  • SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does it even mean?

It was an old saying that used to mean, the white man was more trustworthy then the non white.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard the term, was a bit dull tbh and I think most wouldn't know why Lloyd is so offended, I certainly don't think a whole episode should be dedicated to it, a bit random if they had imagination they would of done a proper racism storyline to highlight it.
  • MrWoodySirMrWoodySir Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Lloyd was out of order accusing Paul of racism.

And how come Brian called Paul 'the fireman'...they are in relationships with the Grimshaw sisters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    It was an old saying that used to mean, the white man was more trustworthy then the non white.

Actually it comes from silent movies where the good guys would be differentiated from the bad guys by dressing in white.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrWoodySir wrote: »
    Lloyd was out of order accusing Paul of racism.

And how come Brian called Paul 'the fireman'...they are in relationships with the Grimshaw sisters.

I think Brian was given lines that would originally have gone to Ken.

Paul should have apologised - he was in the wrong. It was a stupid thing to say rather than a deliberately offensive comment, but it was still wrong.
  • NathanJohnsonNathanJohnson Posts: 2,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this to give Lloyd's dull family a storyline. :yawn::sleep: And they had to shove high and mighty Sophie into it for good measure. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gboy wrote: »
    I think Brian was given lines that would originally gone to Ken.

Paul should have apologised - he was in the wrong. It was a stupid thing to say rather than a deliberately offensive comment, but it was still wrong.

This is completely off-topic,but can I just congratulate you on saying "should have.." instead of "should of.."

It's such a rarity on these forums,it fills my heart with joy when I see it :)

Btw; Lloyd's right to expect an apology.
  • SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually it comes from silent movies where the good guys would be differentiated from the bad guys by dressing in white.

Search Google and you'll see what i said come up.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,271
    Forum Member
    Citadel wrote: »
    Is it just me that thought this was quite random and came out of nowhere? Fair play it's very brave of Corrie to tackle racism in any form, but it just seemed to me a bit... random? :confused:

What do others think?
    It was I think Corrie could have taken the storyline further.

Nice of Corrie to mention it though.

EastEnders had a brief thing last year with Ray and the whole Copper thing. He accused him of being a Thief because he was black.

Doctors does the whole racism storylines very well. They don't hold back either.

Blacks Are Not like Us...They bring Disease to the UK and steal our jobs...

Get your Filthy Black Hands off of my son.

Is just some of the comments used during Doctors long running storyline with Mrs T
  • roverboy1965roverboy1965 Posts: 1,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul was wrong, BUT, Lloyd went over the top (for someone not usually timid Gemma kept very quiet throughout) and backed Paul into a corner he couldn't get out of without losing face and indirectly admitting to being racist.
    Had it been a casual "Paul mate, that's out of order these days" I don't doubt Paul would have apologised anyway and not lost face and learned his lesson.
    Instead Lloyd had to do the big offended man in front of the pub and family and push it to the point neither could back down.
    It was wrong but Paul never used the B, C or N word which are total no-no's, EVER.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Except Paul knew exactly what he'd said, hence his hasty 'Oops, I didn't know you were there'. He knew of the racist connotations of the phrase, but didn't apologise for that, just that a black person might have heard him say it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member

I think the etymology is not entirely clear. Seems to come from the days of Empire when the "dark skinned" uncivilised natives needed to have good behaviour modelled to them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    It was I think Corrie could have taken the storyline further.

Nice of Corrie to mention it though.

EastEnders had a brief thing last year with Ray and the whole Copper thing. He accused him of being a Thief because he was black.

Doctors does the whole racism storylines very well. They don't hold back either.

Blacks Are Not like Us...They bring Disease to the UK and steal our jobs...

Get your Filthy Black Hands off of my son.

Is just some of the comments used during Doctors long running storyline with Mrs T

Yeah but this plot is more about insidious racism, which I think is more realistic and modern, to be honest, not that I'm talking down either of the plots you mentioned; I just mean Corrie is taking a more subversive approach, though I'm not sure how it will handle it longer term.
    Forum Member
    I actually think it was interesting. The nature of casual racism means it is less detectable and thus can be regarded as just "one of those sayings" that means nothing. However, I suppose casual racism is more pernicious from the perspective that is slides under the radar and then becomes part of the lexicon and "banter". In reality, it does harm.

Not sure what people would want Corrie to do, get the EDL to march down the street...
    Forum Member
    gboy wrote: »
    I think Brian was given lines that would originally have gone to Ken.

Has Ken's absence been explained?
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The term Paul said was wrong yes, but the way in that Paul said it was not intended to racist. Lloyd could have addressed the situation in a better manner by explaining that the term can be seen as been racist. I think it is a difficult situation and one that can easily escalate into something more than what it was.

I personally have never heard the term :o

When does Paul leave?
    Forum Member
    CherryRose wrote: »
    The term Paul said was wrong yes, but the way in that Paul said it was not intended to racist.
    So why did he say "sorry I didn't see you there"?