EE 2G/3G/4G Discussion Thread

Comments

• AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    Thanks - useful info. :)

Today in Fleet, Hants, a friend of mine on T-Mobile 3G with an iPhone 5 did a speed test and got the slowest he's ever seen - 1.4megabytes/sec download, and 2.4 upload. I tried on 4GEE and had my usual 12megabytes/sec download, and 9 up.

I guess 3G is pretty full after Christmas!

*megabits.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AlecR wrote: »
    *megabits.

Yes! 8 bits in a byte so it makes a massive difference.
  • AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Yes! 8 bits in a byte so it makes a massive difference.

Indeed. People should really learn the difference...
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Indeed. People should really learn the difference...

All this talk is making me hungry...
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hungry for more megabits or megabites?
    Forum Member
    mega bits >sound< like a far bigger piece of cake than just mega bite sized.. umm bits. Time for bed.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,657
    Forum Member
    *megabits.
    Well spotted :-/ I should know better :-(
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mega bits >sound< like a far bigger piece of cake than just mega bite sized.. umm bits. Time for bed.

I just remembered... Meganibbles are an actual thing.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,657
    Forum Member
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    I just remembered... Meganibbles are an actual thing.

Or meganybbles :)
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just read that EE now reach more than 70% of the UK population with 4G services now.

http://stream.wsj.com/story/latest-headlines/SS-2-63399/SS-2-429245/
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just read that EE now reach more than 70% of the UK population with 4G services now.

http://stream.wsj.com/story/latest-headlines/SS-2-63399/SS-2-429245/

Bloody hell! it took O2 6 years to get to 80% 3G and Vodafone 10 years to get to 90% 3G! EE have done 70% 4G in less than 18 months.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Bloody hell! it took O2 6 years to get to 80% 3G and Vodafone 10 years to get to 90% 3G! EE have done 70% 4G in less than 18 months.

I have no doubt that EE will be able to get to over mid 90% 4G coverage by the end of this year.

EE have done an excellent job on the technical side of their 4G roll out.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, the aim is 90% using 1800 and no MIB.
  • paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, the aim is 90% using 1800 and no MIB.

Cant think what MIB is ?

Still got a crumbling EE network in G77 :cry:
    Forum Member
    paulker wrote: »
    Cant think what MIB is ?

Still got a crumbling EE network in G77 :cry:

MIP, (Mobile infrastructure project)

Unless Will Smith is now working for EE or something?
  • paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    MIP, (Mobile infrastructure project)

Unless Will Smith is now working for EE or something?

Lol, ah, ok. 90% with no handouts then. EE's data network is great overall. I just wish phone calls could be made. :p
    Forum Member
    My bad.. Typed the wrong letter. OR DID I??? :)
  • japittsjapitts Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulker wrote: »
    Lol, ah, ok. 90% with no handouts then. EE's data network is great overall. I just wish phone calls could be made. :p

Well, EE was certainly having a bad day for 2G calls around here yesterday. Driving the M4 from J18 to J7 and then back a couple of hours later, it was impossible to hold a call on 2G for more than 5minutes. Think I counted a good half-dozen drops in each direction. From quick glances at the phone's display, these were not "no coverage" drops but therefore handover failures.

I know CS are going to be powerless to do anything useful about this so have filled in the "network" issues webform instead.
  • de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since EE launched 4G in Aberdeen City this December, I have noticed that the Orange 2G network in Aberdeenshire is steadily disappearing.

My parents' house used to get 2-3 bars 2G indoors from 2 Orange masts (one in Tarves at AB41 7JY (EDGE), the other in Auchnagatt (GPRS)) and now there is nothing from either.

Just left with 0 bar signal from the T-Mobile 2G/3G mast which is on the A948 just out of Ellon. It's the closest mast, but is down in a dip so it provides a lousy signal to the North of it.

So now there's a huge EE hole in Aberdeenshire :( I'm not pleased, I was with T-mobile for a year and was happy, so signed a 12 month contract with EE 4G, and one month later, they start switching off masts.

Is the 2G Orange network going to disappear entirely? As in the old rural 2G-only Orange masts, leaving us with just the T-Mobile sites? They provide comparatively good 3G coverage, but for 2G, they were always the worst for coverage, compared to the other 3 networks' 2G services. In really rural areas away from A-roads, you always got shunted onto Orange 2G.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    de525ma wrote: »
    Since EE launched 4G in Aberdeen City this December, I have noticed that the Orange 2G network in Aberdeenshire is steadily disappearing.

My parents' house used to get 2-3 bars 2G indoors from 2 Orange masts (one in Tarves at AB41 7JY (EDGE), the other in Auchnagatt (GPRS)) and now there is nothing from either.

Just left with 0 bar signal from the T-Mobile 2G/3G mast which is on the A948 just out of Ellon. It's the closest mast, but is down in a dip so it provides a lousy signal to the North of it.

So now there's a huge EE hole in Aberdeenshire :( I'm not pleased, I was with T-mobile for a year and was happy, so signed a 12 month contract with EE 4G, and one month later, they start switching off masts.

Is the 2G Orange network going to disappear entirely? As in the old rural 2G-only Orange masts, leaving us with just the T-Mobile sites? They provide comparatively good 3G coverage, but for 2G, they were always the worst for coverage, compared to the other 3 networks' 2G services. In really rural areas away from A-roads, you always got shunted onto Orange 2G.

Sounds like they have been decommissioned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes I thought they must have been. The weird thing is that they have created some pretty large blackspots by doing it. I can understand removing masts in urban areas where coverage overlaps, but in these rural locations, it really doesn't.

Take Tarves for example, theres an MBNL mast a few miles away in Pitmedden, but you can't pick it up very well at all in Tarves. So now there's zilch for a lot of the village and the surrounding area.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just noticed on the EE coverage checker that they are still showing coverage from that mast in Tarves, but it's definitely not working.
    Forum Member
    Just noticed on the EE coverage checker that they are still showing coverage from that mast in Tarves, but it's definitely not working.

Call up EE and ask them what is going on. They have info on decommissioned masts.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I thought they must have been. The weird thing is that they have created some pretty large blackspots by doing it. I can understand removing masts in urban areas where coverage overlaps, but in these rural locations, it really doesn't.

Take Tarves for example, theres an MBNL mast a few miles away in Pitmedden, but you can't pick it up very well at all in Tarves. So now there's zilch for a lot of the village and the surrounding area.

Unfortunately you are not alone in suffering sudden loss of service due to excessive decommissioning. Its also worth checking if there are any local faults.
    Forum Member

No Decommissioning in that area.
This discussion has been closed.