Options

People being nasty to Big Issue sellers

Moll FlandersMoll Flanders Posts: 1,392
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I live near a large city where there are loads of homeless people, and people with drug and alchohol problems, etc. And a lot of people, including those recovering from these problems, sell the Big Issue.

There is one seller in particular with whom I am good friends. I'll call him X. I always stop for a chat with him. He's such a nice man. He has a hell of a lot of problems, both physical and emotional - a very serious physical disease, and lots of mental hang-ups due to a childhood filled with abuse. However, instead of moping around feeling sorry for himself, he's out there, come rain or shine, selling his magazines. And being really nice to anyone who bothers to be nice to him.

But he's told me that so many people - passers-by, out shopping - say nasty things to him, and make very snide remarks about the most incredible things. They seem to think that a Big Issue seller equals "scum". And they seem to think that the fact he is standing there, selling his magazines, gives them carte blanche to say something really horrible, totally unprovoked, just due to the malicious pleasure it seems to give them to do it.

It would be bad enough to have people being horrible to you if you were a healthy, happy person, for whom everything in your life was rosy. But imagine what it must be like for someone who's got a myriad of problems and is very vulnerable to start with?

It just astounds me - or am I being naive? - that people can behave like this. Even if you for some reason disliked homeless people, what on earth would induce you to actually say something abusive to someone?

The things he tells me that people have said to him leave me dumbfounded. And very sad. Whatever happened to compassion?

Thoughts, anyone?

Comments

• Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For my part, I give them a smile and a quid and tell them to keep the magazine. Good on them for getting out there.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For my part, I give them a smile and a quid and tell them to keep the magazine. Good on them for getting out there.

Same here.

I have no idea why anyone could be bothered to to make nasty remarks to Big Issue sellers.
    I am yet to meet any magazine seller who is 'in your face' about selling the mag.
    Most appear to be very cheery and polite, so IMO there is just no need to be rude to them.

I think in the end some people just say nasty things to others regardless of who they are or what they are selling.
  • Options
    Moll FlandersMoll Flanders Posts: 1,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here.

I have no idea why anyone could be bothered to to make nasty remarks to Big Issue sellers.
    I am yet to meet any magazine seller who is 'in your face' about selling the mag.
    Most appear to be very cheery and polite, so IMO there is just no need to be rude to them.

I think in the end some people just say nasty things to others regardless of who they are or what they are selling.

I think you're right, but I just can't get into the mindset of people who are like that.
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ditto, I do exactly the same to a seller on Norwich Market.
  • Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It works both ways, someone was begging in a nearby town and I said no and he told me to "eff of you baitch!"
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,173
    Forum Member
    It works both ways, someone was begging in a nearby town and I said no and he told me to "eff of you baitch!"

Whilst I've not experienced that reaction I have received very sarcastic and rude responses from one Big Issue seller. It certainly does work both ways!
  • Options
    SammmymackSammmymack Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It rocked Bournemouth a few years ago when a very well loved big issue seller who always sold outside m and s got beaten up and left for dead by some teenagers of only 14/15. His funeral was attended by hundreds of his customers and well wishers. The tragedy raised the profile of sellers and their back stories which has earned them respect locally. Sad it had to be that way. As for the perpetrators, they were found guilty but released after 2 years!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    I think people treated big issue sellers better before the streets were full of chuggers. My high street is like an obstacle course due to all the different people who approach you for various reasons. You can see the shoppers getting irritable and there have been quite a few times when I have seen people be abrupt with big issue sellers because they are in a grouchy mood after being pestered by aggressive chuggers who want them to set up a direct debit. Sometimes I think shoppers just see another person approaching them and think 'oh not again'.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never be rude to anybody let alone a Big Issue seller but some of them round our way do annoy me. They stand right in the middle of very narrow pavements so you have to walk round them and into the street. A few also stand right in shop doorways and wave the magazines around which I don't think they should do. If I. Wanted a Big Issue I'd make my way to a seller and buy one.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    Whilst I've not experienced that reaction I have received very sarcastic and rude responses from one Big Issue seller. It certainly does work both ways!
    I think people treated big issue sellers better before the streets were full of chuggers. My high street is like an obstacle course due to all the different people who approach you for various reasons. You can see the shoppers getting irritable and there have been quite a few times when I have seen people be abrupt with big issue sellers because they are in a grouchy mood after being pestered by aggressive chuggers who want them to set up a direct debit. Sometimes I think shoppers just see another person approaching them and think 'oh not again'.

I agree with both these points. Whilst I'd never actively be rude to anyone (at least, not consciously!) I have definitely been abrupt with some Big Issue sellers who can be unpleasant. There is one guy in Sheffield who, if you walk past without responding, starts shouting abuse at you for being a heartless bitch etc etc. I've seen shop staff speaking to him several times and telling him to stop, or move away, as he's very aggressive. And the reason I walk past him without responding is that he never smiles, doesn't say anything friendly, just moves in front of you when you're trying to leave a shop and barks 'BIG ISSUE!' as if it's an order, and then if you don't immediately respond, he starts getting aggressive.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was once in my local town with my (very dense) ex girlfriend and I stopped and bought a Big Issue. The guy remarked that I'd bought his last one.

"Oooh brilliant" remarked my ex. And without a hint of irony added "You can go home now".

We split up shortly after.
  • Options
    FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure those not taking the magazine mean well but the publishers of the magazine specifically ask that the public don't do this. Its not supposed to be a form of begging or charity, so you they ask that you should pay the cover price and take the magazine.

I don't buy it anymore. I live in London and in recent years the number of people in our small town went up to four or five at times. One at the back entrance to the supermarket one at the front. Cross the road and there's another,30 seconds walk another, and one more joined in for a bit. All of them just repeating 'big issue darling' as if someone had taught them just that one slightly inappropriate phrase. You couldn't possibly buy off them all and I felt harassed having to walk past them all every day and say no thanks. My conscience wasn't troubled because I give to charity when I chose and not when people ask.

Someone told me that selling it means you can say you are working so you become eligible for benefits . There is a couple that do it together,one outside sainsburys one outside m and s in another town up the road . They swap over on different days, don't seem that bothered about selling it just sit on camping stools chatting.It doesn't seem to be changing their lives in any way,I've seen them every weekday for over a year. It was an admirable project when it started but seems to have lost its way. Which isn't an excuse to abuse the sellers, but it can be irritating to be offered something you don't want and made to feel bad about it.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have given up donating to BI. At an east London shopping centre there is a seller who has been there for 10 years... Enough time to knock out four kids and travel back and forth home to Romania... I thought BI was set up to help people get back on their feet...
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I have given up donating to BI. At an east London shopping centre there is a seller who has been there for 10 years... Enough time to knock out four kids and travel back and forth home to Romania... I thought BI was set up to help people get back on their feet...
    You know this BI seller well then?
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was once in my local town with my (very dense) ex girlfriend and I stopped and bought a Big Issue. The guy remarked that I'd bought his last one.

"Oooh brilliant" remarked my ex. And without a hint of irony added "You can go home now".

We split up shortly after.

She's not as dense as you think ........ Most of them have got houses .... And in many cases, cars.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    She's not as dense as you think ........ Most of them have got houses .... And in many cases, cars.

How do they get to be big issue sellers? Surely the people who run the programme know where they live or stay?
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did he wink at the end, as he may have just been joking ;)

Or maybe he was just a good judge of character and telling the truth ;)
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The quid won't even cover what they paid for the magazine so you're actually shortchanging them. ;)

Each magazine costs £1.25 for the homeless person to buy, and they sell them at £2.50.

http://www.bigissue.com/how-become-vendor
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Big Issue seller in the town where I used to work always had people stop and chat to her and give her extra money. No idea what country she was from but the 2000 people who voted UKIP and the 1000 who voted BNP at the last election never seem to be around to offer abuse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    How do you know this?
  • Options
    John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can walk around some areas and have a seller asking every few minutes, which can be slightly annoying.... but there is absolutely no reason to abuse them.

Its not often I buy one ill admit but will reply by saying 'No thanks pal' or similar.

Just can't understand why anyone would through abuse at them to be honest, it would take more effort to throw abuse than to simply walk on by and ignore, or say no thanks?

Maybe its a 'I'm better than you' culture that they want to show?

Slightly off topic, but really boils my piss when there are so many Government schemes to send money abroad to help other less well of nations when we have so many issues with homelessness on our own soil. Why should it be left to charities to help.

Realise that there a few people on the streets that choose to be there but would imagine, most would appreciate the right lift and support to get them into a place of safety with a roof over their head and a guiding hand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You can walk around some areas and have a seller asking every few minutes, which can be slightly annoying.... but there is absolutely no reason to abuse them.

Its not often I buy one ill admit but will reply by saying 'No thanks pal' or similar.

Just can't understand why anyone would through abuse at them to be honest, it would take more effort to throw abuse than to simply walk on by and ignore, or say no thanks?

Maybe its a 'I'm better than you' culture that they want to show?

Slightly off topic, but really boils my piss when there are so many Government schemes to send money abroad to help other less well of nations when we have so many issues with homelessness on our own soil. Why should it be left to charities to help.

Realise that there a few people on the streets that choose to be there but would imagine, most would appreciate the right lift and support to get them into a place of safety with a roof over their head and a guiding hand.
    I think it's indicative of our times, they will hurl abuse as they pass by lesser human beings, as they see it.
    They like to demonstrate to themselves that there is a lower form of life than themselves.
  • Options
    Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live near a large city where there are loads of homeless people, and people with drug and alchohol problems, etc. And a lot of people, including those recovering from these problems, sell the Big Issue.

There is one seller in particular with whom I am good friends. I'll call him X. I always stop for a chat with him. He's such a nice man. He has a hell of a lot of problems, both physical and emotional - a very serious physical disease, and lots of mental hang-ups due to a childhood filled with abuse. However, instead of moping around feeling sorry for himself, he's out there, come rain or shine, selling his magazines. And being really nice to anyone who bothers to be nice to him.

But he's told me that so many people - passers-by, out shopping - say nasty things to him, and make very snide remarks about the most incredible things. They seem to think that a Big Issue seller equals "scum". And they seem to think that the fact he is standing there, selling his magazines, gives them carte blanche to say something really horrible, totally unprovoked, just due to the malicious pleasure it seems to give them to do it.

It would be bad enough to have people being horrible to you if you were a healthy, happy person, for whom everything in your life was rosy. But imagine what it must be like for someone who's got a myriad of problems and is very vulnerable to start with?

It just astounds me - or am I being naive? - that people can behave like this. Even if you for some reason disliked homeless people, what on earth would induce you to actually say something abusive to someone?

The things he tells me that people have said to him leave me dumbfounded. And very sad. Whatever happened to compassion?

Thoughts, anyone?

I don't get the idea of being nasty to anyone to tbh

Kay Burley aside of course , that's a given .
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And very sad. Whatever happened to compassion?
    It died the second councils pitched Council Tax payers vs the homeless - by telling bill payers to make a choice - pay more to keep homeless shelters and charities open or close the lot to freeze your council tax. Thankfully there is still some compassion with people who campaigned against our own council here doing pretty much exactly that.

There is still the awful stigma of people associating the homeless as drug abusers, alcoholics and wasters.

Unfortunately snobbery is starting to creep back into society, being led on by its cheerleaders, the Conservative party and right wing commentators like Katie Hopkins.
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does he read this forum, do you think?