JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It uses your call and text allowance - that's the point
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »
    It doesn't use your allowance according to the Three website.

He means call and text allowance.
  • Options
    Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    If they can also give us WiFi on the London Underground, I'll be able to make calls whilst waiting at a platform on the tube.

I need to switch my SIM from my Lumia 920 to my iPhone (and put my vodafone sim into my Lumia).

Anyone know if Three and Voda will do sim-type changes for free? iPhone 5 is nano and Lumia is micro.

We should be pushing Three to give us this app for Windows Phone too, not giving into their demands.

Have you seen their horrendous my Three app on Windows Phone? I never saw such a piece of crap in my life. One of the worst apps on Windows Phone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We should be pushing Three to give us this app for Windows Phone too, not giving into their demands.

Have you seen their horrendous my Three app on Windows Phone? I never saw such a piece of crap in my life. One of the worst apps on Windows Phone.

I'm sure they'll release a Windows Phone version in time.

It's becoming a major OS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For anyone interested looks like these guys are making the app
    http://www.mavenir.com/Home/default.aspx
    Their website has some other interesting products and solutions.

Oh and just an FYI, doesn't work on a rooted device :(
  • Options
    WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Oh and just an FYI, doesn't work on a rooted device :(

Serious? Oh ffs. I wish companies would stop needlessly doing this.
    It is my device, I should be able to do with it what I want and not have useful apps like this blocked off from me.
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's right.

Since when did August mean September? :confused:

I think that was a tongue in cheek remark related to 4G starting in December and turning out to be April, for most of us.:)
  • Options
    nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This app is all but pointless unless you can use it whilst abroad!!
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nafanny29 wrote: »
    This app is all but pointless unless you can use it whilst abroad!!

No it isn't. That would be an added benefit but not the main benefit.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You cannot use it while it's abroad, you also currently can't make international calls or premium calls using the app if you've been invited on to the Beta trial. However when it fully rolls out some of those restrictions may be removed.

At the moment your customer or phone details are registered, so even if you get the app from somewhere it won't work unless you've been invited to be a beta tester. If you are a beta tester you'll need to delete the beta app after the beta ends on 22nd July and re-download it when it goes onto the app stores early August.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Serious? Oh ffs. I wish companies would stop needlessly doing this.
    It is my device, I should be able to do with it what I want and not have useful apps like this blocked off from me.

They probably don't want the hassle and cost of support calls by people running non tested versions of Android complaining that it doesn't work, when the company that write and update the app have tested it with the main popular handset's stock phones.

Banks often block rooted devices for obvious security reasons.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the home signal box and I can send and receive calls with it. Actually receiving calls was more important. I use my unlimited 24/7 landline for outgoing calls.

Is this app bi-directional ?

If one directional (outgoing only), this app has limited use.

If app is bi-directional, does it perform like an app i.e. you would have to manually restart it each time app was closed down, or more like a widget (effectively on 24/7?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oilman wrote: »
    I have the home signal box and I can send and receive calls with it. Actually receiving calls was more important. I use my unlimited 24/7 landline for outgoing calls.

Is this app bi-directional ?

If one directional (outgoing only), this app has limited use.

If app is bi-directional, does it perform like an app i.e. you would have to manually restart it each time app was closed down, or more like a widget (effectively on 24/7?)

Its bidirectional and runs in the background like a widget.

You can force close it manually. And you'll know if the app isn't working becuase the notification would have disappeared.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE has this morning announced its own Wi-Fi calling service (as well as VoLTE trials on 800MHz in rural Oxfordshire) for the autumn on 'compatible' handsets. Probably means Windows Phone is out, then.
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vectone have already got a Wi-Fi app and you can use it anywhere in the World while connected to Wi-Fi so can’t see why 3 would put a restriction on theirs after they finished beta testing.

On the Vectone app it does give a warning about cost if used abroad while connected via 3G.

Up-date, Sorry just re-read the Vectone’s FAQ again and it says you can only text over GSM and not make calls for some strange reason but I assume it’s to stop customers complaining about getting charged for the calls and data used while making them.
  • Options
    japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its bidirectional and runs in the background like a widget.

You can force close it manually. And you'll know if the app isn't working becuase the notification would have disappeared.

Do you know if the intention is for this to be only via an app or will they be adding voice over wifi later?
  • Options
    MiyagiMiyagi Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just had an sms with a link to the app so downloaded, installed and configured, and tested with a call - all good!
  • Options
    binarybinary Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    The website says you also can't use it outside of the UK so no saving on roaming using this I guess.

We'll see if this is just a feature of the trial or not.

For what it's worth, O2's TU Go app can be used abroad without a problem - O2 explicitly state as much on the main TU Go page, look for "Using TU Go abroad" at the bottom :
    www.o2.co.uk/apps/tu-go
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's wait and see what you can and can't do when it goes live. Three has already told trial users of known problems, and using it abroad may be down as something to add later on after it has launched.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon, the reason why calling abroad is not added is no billing has been added for the app yet at all. So calls and texts are all free on the beta until release, when they'll come out of your allowance.

So far my experience is as follows:

- Callers say my audio is quiet
    - When the screen is off and you get a text, you get the sound but the screen doesn't come on to show you the text, there's also no notification LED.
    - Audio on speakerphone is very loud when you hear the dial tone, but too low on the call volume when answered, the volume level for me on non speakerphone calls is fine though.
    - After the phone has been asleep for a while, calls come through on the network instead of the app even though my wifi is not set to sleep when the screen is off.
    - The app sometimes screws up and doesn't dial and then incoming calls aren't accepted. I am going to test what happens with the screen off for a bit and the phone on GSM only, so no macro network, to see if the call gets dropped.

A nice thing is the app does automatically start on boot of the phone and self logon just fine. I know it's in Beta, so I won't complain I'm sure they'll get through the bug list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm accepted for the trial too, but waiting for the link and to be properly set up. Going to be next week now I expect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I'm accepted for the trial too, but waiting for the link and to be properly set up. Going to be next week now I expect.

Probably Monday and 12:00 midday as they seem to have a provisioning job at that time. I was told yesterday that it would be today at 12:00 and then bank on to the minute the text came through with the download link.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Confirmed, when the screen has been off for 10 minutes when not plugged in, even though wifi is set to never sleep the phone ignores calls and texts, making the app useless at the moment until they fix that! That is on a Samsung S4.

Will feed back on the beta, again can't complain as it is a trial.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I like EE's idea a lot better actually. I wonder when they will start implementing it.

Only downside is that it seems to need a custom EE firmware? Or am I reading that wrong and it just requires an update from the manufacturer.
  • Options
    RAN ManRAN Man Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    I like EE's idea a lot better actually. I wonder when they will start implementing it.

Only downside is that it seems to need a custom EE firmware? Or am I reading that wrong and it just requires an update from the manufacturer.

It's all standards based so doesn't need any EE specific firmware, although generic devices may not have the relevant capabilities enabled in the firmware. It works something like the paper describes below, so just needs support in the OS of the device, e.g. as now included in iOS 8.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/asr-5000-series/white_paper_c11-707739.pdf