Techika T835 firmware

Comments

• futaurafutaura Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tweenie wrote: »
    Yes, both shown in the EPG and timer as 8:30 and all three underlined in red in the EPG.
    Perhaps an improvement in v4.6 then :eek:.
  • ZillZill Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    futaura wrote: »
    I'm getting a little ahead of myself here, but should I be in the position of looking for people who'd like to test a new software version that fixes the problems introduced in v4.6, are there any volunteers here who have the necessary cable and hardware to change the software on their box? Zill? ...
    While I would like to help with testing, practicalities make this difficult for me. Specifically, our T835 is our primary TV source and so is in regular use. The box is also installed within a cabinet, making it difficult to plug/unplug cables and power supply etc.

However, if Vestel do resolve most, if not all, of the problems discussed in this thread then I am happy to do a final "sanity check" before an OAD is broadcast to verify that this is the case. I have tried to list below the main bugs discussed so far (my apologies if I have missed anything!):
    1. "TV out" configuration option of CVBS is not persistent after a reboot and always resets to RGB.
    2. Interface slowdowns and freezing problems need to be resolved.
    3. Excessive delay when deleting recordings needs to be resolved.
    4. One-off recordings ( either timer or instant record) stay in timer list with a blank entry (no date/time) after recording.
    5. Timers should be retained following a channel rescan.
    6. INFO should be available on a program being played, both live and recorded.
    7. The "info" box should remain visible when searching for programmes with the "text" key, rather than resetting it off with each cursor movement.
    8. Provide sensible sort options for timers, rather than producing a random list.
    9. Library sorting should be by Name + Date, rather than Name only.
    10. Irritating and broken green button "trailer booking" feature should be removed.
    v4.6 was, IMHO, a negative release as it simply degraded performance with no advantages whatsoever. However, if Vestel do take action to resolve all the points listed then the upgraded T835 will be an excellent PVR. Until then, I will stick with v3.4, warts'n'all. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problem Zill. However, don't expect points 5 onwards to be addressed by the next release - the priority is to fix the new problems and instability introduced by v4.6. I don't see why a new feature like trailer booking will be removed as it is part of the Freeview standard now, but I will be pushing for trailer booking to be brought up to the same standard to the T7300 version which initially shared the same problems.
    Forum Member
    Thanks futaura. So, if I understand this correctly, all Vestel are expected to do is to remove the bugs they introduced with v4.6. i.e. To simply end up where we were with v3.4? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zill wrote: »
    Thanks futaura. So, if I understand this correctly, all Vestel are expected to do is to remove the bugs they introduced with v4.6. i.e. To simply end up where we were with v3.4? :confused:
    From a stability point of view, yes. I'm sure most will agree that the most important thing is to return stability and reliability back to normal even if nothing else has changed. All time spent investigating this has to be put into this area, not into implementing more new features, in order to get a fix out asap - just think if you had not been able to downgrade to v3.4, which is the situation most users are in. Obviously there are many changes since v3.4, most of which we are unaware of, and those will of course remain, as will the support for the latest Freeview features added since v4.1 - TRD, recommendations and trailer booking, for example.

That said, I do agree with your points in the most part, except trailer booking. I too miss the extended programme info on live tv, but I fear this won't return anytime soon - I've been pushing for its return on the T7300 too, but nothing yet.
    Forum Member
    From a stability point of view, yes. I'm sure most will agree that the most important thing is to return stability and reliability back to normal even if nothing else has changed...
    So all Vestel have to do is admit that v4.6 was a big mistake and rebroadcast v3.4 as an OAD to restore "normal service" to the users blighted by this "upgrade"!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So all Vestel have to do is admit that v4.6 was a big mistake and rebroadcast v3.4 as an OAD to restore "normal service" to the users blighted by this "upgrade"!
    Not sure if that would work as-is - I'm guessing that the box would not see a v3.4 OAD as a newer version, so wouldn't install it. The version number would need bumping to v4.7 at least. We also don't know what the situation is regarding the DTG and Freeview+ certification - it's possible that TRD, trailer booking, etc, need to be in any updates tested and broadcast by the DTG. Anyway, Vestel need to find the cause of the problems first, since they are not reproducable in lab conditions (it's hard to pick Freeview up in Turkey :D).
    Forum Member
    Not sure if that would work as-is - I'm guessing that the box would not see a v3.4 OAD as a newer version, so wouldn't install it...
    I don't think the software is that clever. ;) As we can easily install any version of software into a box manually, I doubt if it is any different with an OAD install. From my earlier experiments with manual installs, it seems that a box will not change any settings if the same version is reinstalled. However, with a different version (up or down) the box resets settings as expected.
    ...Vestel need to find the cause of the problems first, since they are not reproducable in lab conditions (it's hard to pick Freeview up in Turkey).
    We know the cause of the problems - broadcasting v4.6! Vestel need to do further development and testing work before they issue a new release. As the UK is a significant market for them, they should have a team working here to see how things work in the "real world", rather than just the lab.
  • tweenietweenie Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you reckon the PVR will cope with having 3 programs scheduled to record with overlapping times.

Not possible you say. Well when they were scheduled (series link) they were not overlapping but now 2 channels have moved their programs 30 minutes later.

i.e - 2 progs set for 8-9pm and one for 9-10pm, now the 2 8pm proga have shifted to 8:30pm.

To be on the safe side I'll probably delete the 9pm and pick it up on repeat later in the week.

I was going to post this morning to report on what the software did with above situation as I decided to leave it as it was just as an experiment.

Turned out nothing got recorded as PVR went into the major slowdown phase and ended up with no service and I did not have time to rectify so left it as progs avail on Iplayer, repeat etc.
    I had been using for 3 hours in the afternoon watching and deleting from library.

I ended up doing a FTI this morning and now have to setup timers again.

I hope they get a new release out before DSO, else I will be looking to revert to 3.4.

Ironically, despite its problems I'm looking for another T835 for elderly parent ready for DSO, I want Mum to have the same as me so that I can talk her through it if I have to !

I know they come under different badges eg Bush, Technika but is the hardware same for all - i.e reliability ?

Also has anyone noticed that if you schedule a recording on a +1 channel it sometimes alters it record on the earlier main channel. I was trying to set it up so I was only recording one thing at a time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ironically, despite its problems I'm looking for another T835 for elderly parent ready for DSO, I want Mum to have the same as me so that I can talk her through it if I have to !

I know they come under different badges eg Bush, Technika but is the hardware same for all - i.e reliability ?
    In short, yes. And all the T835 boxes use exactly the same software, unlike the T825 which had different builds for different brands.
    Also has anyone noticed that if you schedule a recording on a +1 channel it sometimes alters it record on the earlier main channel. I was trying to set it up so I was only recording one thing at a time.
    Yep - especially with a series timer, it'll always choose the earliest occurance of an episode. My main annoyance is that it won't list +1 channels as alternatives during conflict resolution.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    My HDR165 box has been a nightmare since the v4.6 upgrade, from being generally very reliable, it is now horrendous requiring several total reboots a day wih frequent locking up when changing between guide and tv and library and tv, 'service is not running' dialogues appearing, pauses of several minutes when completing actions etc....

Who is actually at fault with this poor firmware upgrade (ie who should we complain to for resolution), any ideas how long it is likely before another over the air upgrade will be issued to roll this back or fix it ? It seems a real mare to try and roll back manually and not something the average user could or should be expected to do.... I feel really sorry for the old grannies out there..

I have written to info@vestel-uk.com and will post any response I get.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    Does this Firmwarework with the Vision Network channels 110-116 on Freeview?
    Forum Member
    Does this Firmwarework with the Vision Network channels 110-116 on Freeview?
    http://www.visiontvnetwork.co.uk/home/devices reveals that ...
    VISION TV Network can be watched on any ‘Freeview HD’ compatible TV or set-top box that is connected to a broadband connection.
    As the T835 box is SD, not HD, and neither does it have a broadband connection, I doubt if this will work, regardless of firmware.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    http://www.visiontvnetwork.co.uk/home/devices reveals that ...
    As the T835 box is SD, not HD, and neither does it have a broadband connection, I doubt if this will work, regardless of firmware.

I did not know that the boxes were SD,
    I have the Humax HD box and that does not work with Vision Networks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My HDR165 box has been a nightmare since the v4.6 upgrade, from being generally very reliable, it is now horrendous requiring several total reboots a day wih frequent locking up when changing between guide and tv and library and tv, 'service is not running' dialogues appearing, pauses of several minutes when completing actions etc....

Who is actually at fault with this poor firmware upgrade (ie who should we complain to for resolution), any ideas how long it is likely before another over the air upgrade will be issued to roll this back or fix it ? It seems a real mare to try and roll back manually and not something the average user could or should be expected to do.... I feel really sorry for the old grannies out there..
    You should perhaps try contacting Hitachi and see what they say. Ultimately it is their product that you bought.

Unfortunately, I have no news on a timeframe for a fix, but the problems are currently being investigated.
    Forum Member
    ...Unfortunately, I have no news on a timeframe for a fix, but the problems are currently being investigated.
    If/when Vestel do come up with a fix and issue a new version I would like to request that you add this file to your T835 support webpage.

This will allow those of us who are (now!) distrustful of automatic updates to upgrade at a time of our choosing, rather than in the short time-scale of an OAD.

Of course, it is very desirable to keep the trusty old v3.4 download available as well as any new versions. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4.6 has been generally okay for me, until last night. Box was on and recording on both tuners, though we were watching our other PVR. When I returned to the Technika, response to the remote was extremely slow - trying to switch off the box eventually froze the image on screen and then took about two minutes before it actually swithced off (dimmed the display). Looks like it continued to record successfully as both entries are in the library with expected durations, but haven't watched them yet to confirm they are ok.

Have reverted to my prior firmware this morning.

Futaura, I'm happy to help with some pre-release testing of any new version.

Cheers
    MarkA
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    You should perhaps try contacting Hitachi and see what they say. Ultimately it is their product that you bought.

Thanks, I have sent tech.assist@hitachi-eu.com a message to see what Hitachi say, and will post any response.

Hope you can come up with a fix with Vestel...

Also is there a way to make a usb to scart cable that will work with windows 7 to downgrade the firmware.. many of us don;t have rs232 ports on our laptops..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I have sent tech.assist@hitachi-eu.com a message to see what Hitachi say, and will post any response.

Hope you can come up with a fix with Vestel...

Also is there a way to make a usb to scart cable that will work with windows 7 to downgrade the firmware.. many of us don;t have rs232 ports on our laptops..
    Not directly, but some have had success with a USB to RS232 cable, and then that connected to a suitable RS232 to SCART cable. That said, some USB/RS232 adaptors work properly and some don't, so it would be best to find somebody who has used one successfully to know which one to buy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought one of these USB to RS232 adapters off ebay and it works perfectly with 32 bit Windows 7:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-RS232-SERIAL-DB9-9-PIN-ADAPTER-CABLE-GPS-PDA-UK-1st-CLASS-/180727958541?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item2a1439cc0d

Then made up a RS232 to SCART cable as per Futaura's website. If you don't fancy a bit of cable butchery and soldering, then you could also try one of these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scart-Serial-RS232-cable-PVR-Programming-lead-1-2m-/250982361743?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a6fb6ea8f

Cheers
    MarkA
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Futaura - do you know ifs there any timescale for a new upgrade ? I know this is a bit like asking how long is a bit of string. Contemplating whether I need to buy a RS232/Scart lead.

Reason I ask is - I purchased a second hand Bush B250DTR which has v2.5. I'm surprised it works at all as courier dropped/threw over a fence.

Anyway I'm trying to test it alongside my Hitachi (hitachi first in aerial chain). I'm aware not to use low power for this version but had a really odd problem with it last night and wondered if you knew of this as a glitch in 2.5 or could it be caused by something else.

I set it up to record two 9pm progams ( BBC1/BBC3) and they appeared underlined ok and in timer list. I went back to box after 10pm and they were still recording and everything underlined in red until 00:30. It thought both programs were 3.5 hours long.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Futaura - do you know ifs there any timescale for a new upgrade ? I know this is a bit like asking how long is a bit of string. Contemplating whether I need to buy a RS232/Scart lead.

Reason I ask is - I purchased a second hand Bush B250DTR which has v2.5. I'm surprised it works at all as courier dropped/threw over a fence.

Anyway I'm trying to test it alongside my Hitachi (hitachi first in aerial chain). I'm aware not to use low power for this version but had a really odd problem with it last night and wondered if you knew of this as a glitch in 2.5 or could it be caused by something else.

I set it up to record two 9pm progams ( BBC1/BBC3) and they appeared underlined ok and in timer list. I went back to box after 10pm and they were still recording and everything underlined in red until 00:30. It thought both programs were 3.5 hours long.
    It's not so strange - IIRC, there is a condition in the Freeview+ spec that software should record something like 3 extra from the scheduled start time (as a safeguard), should it have trouble picking up the start signal for any reason. I very rarely see this happen on my T835 - it tends to happen more often on my T816. I've never used v2.5, and it could of course be a glitch in that version that is triggering this condition without good reason.

As for a timescale on an update, all I can say is that I am currently testing something, but more work is required on Vestel's part before a fixed update is ready for release, and they are still in the process of fixing the issues. Progress is being made, but I have no ETA at present.
    Forum Member
    It's not so strange - IIRC, there is a condition in the Freeview+ spec that software should record something like 3 extra from the scheduled start time (as a safeguard), should it have trouble picking up the start signal for any reason. I very rarely see this happen on my T835 - it tends to happen more often on my T816...
    FWIW, we used to see this problem occasionally with our old T816 but have never seen this with our T835, running v3.4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Zil and Futaura for your replies.

I'm picking up more problems with it not recording. There does not seem to be much point in me continuing to test it until I update software.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except you could try feeding the aerial through the other way?