Lovefilm stopping game rentals...

Comments

• RADIOHEEDRADIOHEED Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Oh man that's really bad news, both for me as I live using their have rentals and for Lovefilm, as I can imagine I won't be the only customer cancelling my contract with them.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this may backfire on Lovefilm but then again not many companies do game rentals anymore. Only ones i can think of are boomerang , blockbuster and swapgame.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Ive been a loyal Lovefilm customer for 3 years. I pay them £15 a month to rent games. Just what in the HELL are they thinking?? This is a disgraceful decision.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, then they'll lose me as a customer. I use LoveFilm primarily for games. 99% of their "exclusive" movies & TV series are already available on Netflix USA, which I use. Looks like I'll be moving to Blockbusters Online thing.

Edit: It says *NEW* customers, so presumably current customers can still rent games? Although I guess they won't be updating their collection...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    its saying for new customers only which is good.

ill be cancelling if they change it
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    ^^ For the moment

And what that effectively means is you can kiss any new release goodbye. Essentially making it useless.
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely expect lovefilm to stop buying new stock of future games. I left blockbuster because they seemed to be cutting down on stocking games. Probably when the next gen starts lovefilm will cut games all together.
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive been a loyal Lovefilm customer for 3 years. I pay them £15 a month to rent games. Just what in the HELL are they thinking?? This is a disgraceful decision.

Wow, pardon them for not consulting with you first.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just cancelled my account,they tried to keep me by special offers but i'm off,blockbuster rent games for £9.99 package which is where i'm going..shame as i've been with lovefilm for 4 years & rented over 260 games & movies
    Forum Member
    It seems lovefilm are doing a Microsoft lol they'll be left with about 5 customers lol
  • Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a Blockbusters film/game package for £9.99 for a couple of years and whilst it was ok at the beggining, ever since the administration its gone pearshaped - they struggle to have stock

I haven't had a game sent off my rental list for nearly a year

Had Black Ops 2 on top ticket rental queued at number 1, and Im still waiting for it, and in fact any gaming disc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully all you people will naff off and some of my queue backlog will slowly get cleared :D

I hope they do add more titles, I had noticed they hadn't added any new ones in a while.

A bizarre decision, I would have thought they'd just not add new titles and mention that fact but still allow people to rent back catalogues - especially now we're at the end of a generation.

Hopefully Boomerang will be able to keep up with demand.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    I've been with Lovefilm for years but never used them for games - I have enough games as it is I havent got round to playing or completing yet (Wii/DS) so I doubt I'd find time to rent them too :o
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    No big Loss for me i stopped renting games a few years back now.
  • Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, that's my subscription cancelled then.
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    I've just cancelled my account,they tried to keep me by special offers but i'm off,blockbuster rent games for £9.99 package which is where i'm going..shame as i've been with lovefilm for 4 years & rented over 260 games & movies

I wouldn't bother with blockbuster, there stock holding of games released in the last year seems to be almost zero.
  • PaulLFCPaulLFC Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Games were all I used Lovefilm for so I cancelled it tonight and went with Boomerang.

The person I spoke to at Lovefilm sounded as if they'd had to process a lot of cancellations after this news, and they did confirm they were stopping games rentals, but didn't say any more than that.

Boomerang is a bit more expensive on the unlimited packages, but I've been impressed with the service so far. My free trial game was sent out within an hour of signing up, and I particularly like what they've done with the rental queue where it shows you which games are in stock and approximate waiting times for out of stock ones. You can also tell it to only send you games from the top 1/3/5/10 games in your list (useful if you really want a specific game) or just use all games like Lovefilm did.
  • SolidSnakeSolidSnake Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Update #2: Lovefilm will end its game rental service - for existing customers as well as new customers - any time before the 8th August, a Lovefilm customer support agent told me on the phone this morning.

A commenter heard the same 8th August date from the same customer service team, and wrote to Eurogamer this morning to bring it to our attention. Thank you that person.
    Forum Member
    Right we are all agreed that our lovefilm subs are being cancelled, and we're using boomerang or blockbuster instead. But I wanna know is how many peoples final game is going to be mysteriously lost in the post lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SolidSnake wrote: »
    Update #2: Lovefilm will end its game rental service - for existing customers as well as new customers - any time before the 8th August, a Lovefilm customer support agent told me on the phone this morning.

A commenter heard the same 8th August date from the same customer service team, and wrote to Eurogamer this morning to bring it to our attention. Thank you that person.
    This is not confirmed. Other CS people are saying it isn't ending for existing.
  • PaulLFCPaulLFC Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    This is not confirmed. Other CS people are saying it isn't ending for existing.
    Even if it doesn't end they're already getting less and less new releases in so unless people are happy paying the same price to play older games with less and less options for new releases as time goes on, there's no point staying.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PaulLFC wrote: »
    Games were all I used Lovefilm for so I cancelled it tonight and went with Boomerang.

The person I spoke to at Lovefilm sounded as if they'd had to process a lot of cancellations after this news, and they did confirm they were stopping games rentals, but didn't say any more than that.

Boomerang is a bit more expensive on the unlimited packages, but I've been impressed with the service so far. My free trial game was sent out within an hour of signing up, and I particularly like what they've done with the rental queue where it shows you which games are in stock and approximate waiting times for out of stock ones. You can also tell it to only send you games from the top 1/3/5/10 games in your list (useful if you really want a specific game) or just use all games like Lovefilm did.

Boomerang are fabulous. No I don't work for the company Never wait longer than a few days for titles. The only time I have waited was when i wanted to get defiance and put it onto my top 3. I put all the games on I can then I get a surprise when something Ive never heard of comes through the door. The service is excellent. This is the way companes should be run.
  • samtmansamtman Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone think this decision was made internally when the Xbox one was announced with no way to rent games. Then even though Microsoft did a u-turn thought forget it these online passes are ruining our business.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    samtman wrote: »
    Does anyone think this decision was made internally when the Xbox one was announced with no way to rent games. Then even though Microsoft did a u-turn thought forget it these online passes are ruining our business.

It seemed like that to me, Game got the 2nd hand market and it looked like Blockbuster got the rental market, were Lovefilm cut out of the loop?