Options

EE: has anyone else heard the linda rumour....

NoushNoush Posts: 4,794
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A mate at work said she read somewhere that linda was finally going to come clean about the rape and no one is going to believe her...

Has anyone else heard this? That would be so awful if that did happen. I feel so bad for her. :cry:

Comments

• Options
    marius1marius1 Posts: 5,529
    Forum Member
    that would b awful, sinister even. and I can imagine it happening whe n the culprit is such a charmimg lad
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marius1 wrote: »
    that would b awful, sinister even. and I can imagine it happening whe n the culprit is such a charmimg lad

I know Marius but it just made me think back to something Sharon said when she got a bit drunk that time.....she pretty much said it was linda who kissed Dean!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noush wrote: »
    I know Marius but it just made me think back to something Sharon said when she got a bit drunk that time.....she pretty much said it was linda who kissed Dean!

I could easily see that being the case if she confides in Sharon about the rape. I really hope that doesn't happen. It's such an emotionally harrowing storyline, I hope they don't drag is out too long.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nancy, Sharon and Shirley definatly won't believe it
    Mick and Tina will be torn
    I reckon johnny and stacey will believe her. Babe I can see believing her but not that dean did it.

Not sure about lee
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    Her line in the advert was "Take comfort in your friends", too, so that could have been a bit of foreshadowing? I know that's what I thought when I first saw that ad: that she'd confide in Sharon and Sharon wouldn't believe her, or would start saying things like "Did you lead him on?" and "What did you do? You must have done something to make him think you want him."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    los.kav wrote: »
    Her line in the advert was "Take comfort in your friends", too, so that could have been a bit of foreshadowing? I know that's what I thought when I first saw that ad: that she'd confide in Sharon and Sharon wouldn't believe her, or would start saying things like "Did you lead him on?" and "What did you do? You must have done something to make him think you want him."

Omg Los....I can almost hear Sharon saying that now!...
  • Options
    KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd find it absolutely ridiculous if her family didn't believe her, ridiculous - especially from Mick. If that's the road EE take, I'd be bitterly disappointed. They've known Dean for five minutes. They've know Linda their whole lives.

Only Shirley can get away with disbelief, purely because Dean is her son and nobody wants to believe their son is a rapist.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member

There was also the comment Sharon made about Linda having possibly lead a punter on when Linda tried to iniatate a conversation asking if sharon had ever had trouble the day after the rape. Sharon didn't mean anything by it, said flirting was part of the job and they'd all done it but the implication that the woman was encouraging the attention is i'm sure what stopped Linda confiding in Sharon that day and might lead people to disbelieve her. Especially when the man is young, attractive, been seen flirting with her previous to the attack and she has spent time with him since. We the audience knows she didn't want to but other people might not see it that way.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    KatrinaK wrote: »
    I'd find it absolutely ridiculous if her family didn't believe her, ridiculous - especially from Mick. If that's the road EE take, I'd be bitterly disappointed. They've known Dean for five minutes. They've know Linda their whole lives.

Only Shirley can get away with disbelief, purely because Dean is her son and nobody wants to believe their son is a rapist.

Basically i'd agree with you but we've already seen Nancy have doubts as to the 'guilt' about the kiss - ie whether it was mutual or Linda had encouraged him In some way.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I remember DTC saying that the reveal would make Shirley feel torn between her sons, and not sure of who to believe, something like that anyway!:p
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Matt said way back in May in his interview on the EE website that "something happens in the future where Shirley takes Dean's side".
  • Options
    eejmeejm Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shirley will absolutely believe Dean out of her guilt over abandoning him multiple times and because she doesn't get along with Linda. That's practically a given.

Nancy knows about the kiss and she saw Linda comforting Dean with an embrace the night of the rape. She won't want to believe it but I think she'll side with Dean, at least initially. I think Sharon will be in much the same boat.

Johnny is close to his mum, he'll believe her unless he and Dean somehow bond between now and then.

I'm a little surprised that Aunt Babe hasn't seen the way Linda recoils when she sees Dean. I think she'll be the first in the family to figure out what happened, but unless she notices how Linda behaves around Dean she may not realize (or believe) that he's one who did it.

This will be a tough one for Mick. If he finds out about the rape at the same time he finds out he's Shirley's son, he may just be overwhelmed at the whole situation and won't be able to process it, much less give Linda the support she needs. I think he'll also be really frustrated that she didn't tell him right away, that she lied about being pregnant, etc. One of the spoilers said that he and Dean end up looking for (and finding) Shirley together, so I'm thinking the two might bond along the way and leave Mick even more conflicted. Whenever Mick does realize that Dean did actually rape Linda, I think we'll see Mick go medieval on him.

As for Lee, who knows? The kid is like wallpaper.
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nancy, Sharon and Shirley definatly won't believe it
    Mick and Tina will be torn
    I reckon johnny and stacey will believe her. Babe I can see believing her but not that dean did it.

Not sure about lee

Sharon not believing her is a wrong move, this will mean death for her character, as the majority hate her now, for no reason at all, this could ruin her once and for all, and I don't want that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Omg Los....I can almost hear Sharon saying that now!...

Sadly not surprised by this from Sharon judging by what has been seen between Linda & Sharon, so far.

Sounds like Sharon should be the very last person that Linda should be confiding in (especially from what has been seen so far in terms of Sharon's response to Linda).

Oh dear, it's not looking good for Sharon then with the viewers & DS'ers if this is her reaction to Linda's confiding in her. What a heartless, hopeless & useless so-called "friend" Sharon is to Linda if ever there was one, then :-(
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    I read the thread title as "Linda's tumour" then :o Poor woman has enough to deal with :blush:

But for the sides the characters I think will take..

Mick - Believing in his wife after seeing how distressed she's been since Sharon's wedding, but angry and hurt that his wife went through all that and felt the need to lie about it. Also, he asked her to comfort Dean after Shirley left, so he may feel responsible..

Lee - I think he'll blame Nancy after he finds out she kept Dean kissing Linda a secret. He'll probably feel like as the oldest and the 'military son' that he should have protected his mum and feels that Nancy keeping the secret prevented him from doing that..

Tina - She's not too keen on Linda and she lives with Dean, so I think she'll be torn about siding against Mick but she wouldn't want to believe the worst of her nephew.

Shirley - Automatically takes Dean's side out of duty and guilt, but secretly wonders if the years of pain she's caused Dean and the way she abandoned him all over again after the shooting drove him to it..

Aunt Babe - Somewhere in the middle. Not wanting to take sides against her family, but trying to be there for everyone and fix it.

Johnny - Taking his mum's side.. but again, hurt that he trusted Dean when all along, Dean had put his mum through something horrendous.

Pam/Kat/Ronnie - Linda's side.

Stacey - Conflicted over her own experience with rape and her friendship with Dean.

Sharon - She's not the most sensitive of people.. when it all comes out, she'll probably question whether Linda lead him on, before she realises how serious Linda is.

I wish that instead of the way Linda's conversation with Elaine ended, that when Elaine confronted her over having an affair, Linda started crying and said "I didn't want to.... I tried to push him away and said no.." and Elaine would have realised. That way Linda wouldn't have had to actually admit she was raped and the implication of her words and the way she reacts towards Dean would have been obvious.
  • Options
    KrstiKrsti Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Stacey has been raped, I think she'll believe linda, hopefully she will be the one Linda will confide in, Whitney saw Dean behave aggresively after Lauren ended the relationship so will probably believe her.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KatrinaK wrote: »

Agreed.. this is going from a well researched story line with a good positive message to victims to a long drawn out soap drama milked for all it's worth. I thought they said this story line would show victims it's best to speak up? This story line would send the complete opposite message.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A mate at work said she read somewhere that linda was finally going to come clean about the rape and no one is going to believe her...

Has anyone else heard this? That would be so awful if that did happen. I feel so bad for her. :cry:

The longer she leaves it the more difficult it will be to believe her
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    Sharon not believing her is a wrong move, this will mean death for her character, as the majority hate her now, for no reason at all, this could ruin her once and for all, and I don't want that.

I honestly think that people who think Sharon won't believe her are doing the character a great disservice (and I'm by no means a Sharon apologist).

When Linda tried to broach the subject with her previously Sharon had been through the mill herself what with her groom being shot on their wedding day etc. Sharon grew up in pubs and knows that flirting is part of the job to an extent so when Linda was tentatively and hesitantly talking she (naturally some might say) jumped to the conclusion that a punter had taken the 'flirting' it the wrong way. Sharon had no idea what Linda was really on about, was distracted by her own troubles and Linda took what she did say the wrong way and it made her doubt herself. A case of crossed wires I would say.

If Linda finally spit it out to Sharon that she was raped and told her the circumstances I believe that Sharon would believe her friend and be there for her 100% (at least the Sharon of old would do!)
    SULLA wrote: »
    The longer she leaves it the more difficult it will be to believe her

I think her family should believe her as they've seen the massive change in her since the rape. They obviously don't know it's the rape that caused it but they know something's up and at the moment Mick is clutching at straws, believing anything to account for her weird behaviour.

It does all make me wonder if she's so reticent to tell Mick because it's Shirley's son who was the rapist? She knows that Mick is, quite frankly, bonkers about his 'sister', quite often puts her and her needs first and deep down she's worried in case he 'sides' with Shirley who will probably have trouble believing her son could do something like that? Just something that occurred to me tonight as I naturally thought she was keeping quiet to keep the peace in the family but what if it's not that?
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not heard it but I think it will happen anyway, I lost interest in it I don't even feel sorry for her anymore.

When they try to do a story like this and make it real life it becomes boring and obvious.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Matt said way back in May in his interview on the EE website that "something happens in the future where Shirley takes Dean's side".

I thought that was about the whole weed thing which aired in Aug? Surely back in May he wouldn't have seen the Christmas time scripts or anything then?

I also read that Shirley is torn between which son to believe. How would you know which son to trust? That's a bit of a pickle of a situation. Her line when she said to Babe about Dean doing something stupid may have been foreshadowing that when she finds out, there is part of her that believes it.

I imagine when the truth is completely out, Mick and Shirley will both feel enormous amount of guilt

For a different spin on the story as it's just rehashing the same scenes making it quite tiresome at the mo, I would have liked Dean to break down and reveal what he had done, it would muddy the waters and be a different angle to approach the story. I too, glaze over when Linda appears now. The longer these stories go on without progression, viewers lose interest. It's good to do realistic stories but really they are just trying to keep it running until the big Christmas reveal, thus losing any impact it had. And in fictional terms, I still disagree that there should be a baby added into this.

I've read people posting about Dean going onto rape Lauren or Stacey and all I can say is, please TPTB. No!
  • Options
    secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of nobody believing her and people taking sides, however, that does mean that the storyline will drag on and Linda irritates me beyond belief, so ideally I'd like a quick conclusion to the story, preferably with Linda leaving.
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    I honestly think that people who think Sharon won't believe her are doing the character a great disservice (and I'm by no means a Sharon apologist).

When Linda tried to broach the subject with her previously Sharon had been through the mill herself what with her groom being shot on their wedding day etc. Sharon grew up in pubs and knows that flirting is part of the job to an extent so when Linda was tentatively and hesitantly talking she (naturally some might say) jumped to the conclusion that a punter had taken the 'flirting' it the wrong way. Sharon had no idea what Linda was really on about, was distracted by her own troubles and Linda took what she did say the wrong way and it made her doubt herself. A case of crossed wires I would say.

If Linda finally spit it out to Sharon that she was raped and told her the circumstances I believe that Sharon would believe her friend and be there for her 100% (at least the Sharon of old would do!)

I think her family should believe her as they've seen the massive change in her since the rape. They obviously don't know it's the rape that caused it but they know something's up and at the moment Mick is clutching at straws, believing anything to account for her weird behaviour.

It does all make me wonder if she's so reticent to tell Mick because it's Shirley's son who was the rapist? She knows that Mick is, quite frankly, bonkers about his 'sister', quite often puts her and her needs first and deep down she's worried in case he 'sides' with Shirley who will probably have trouble believing her son could do something like that? Just something that occurred to me tonight as I naturally thought she was keeping quiet to keep the peace in the family but what if it's not that?

I agree.
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    I thought that was about the whole weed thing which aired in Aug? Surely back in May he wouldn't have seen the Christmas time scripts or anything then?

I also read that Shirley is torn between which son to believe. How would you know which son to trust? That's a bit of a pickle of a situation. Her line when she said to Babe about Dean doing something stupid may have been foreshadowing that when she finds out, there is part of her that believes it.

I imagine when the truth is completely out, Mick and Shirley will both feel enormous amount of guilt

For a different spin on the story as it's just rehashing the same scenes making it quite tiresome at the mo, I would have liked Dean to break down and reveal what he had done, it would muddy the waters and be a different angle to approach the story. I too, glaze over when Linda appears now. The longer these stories go on without progression, viewers lose interest. It's good to do realistic stories but really they are just trying to keep it running until the big Christmas reveal, thus losing any impact it had. And in fictional terms, I still disagree that there should be a baby added into this.

I've read people posting about Dean going onto rape Lauren or Stacey and all I can say is, please TPTB. No
    !

I agree.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I like the idea of nobody believing her and people taking sides, however, that does mean that the storyline will drag on and Linda irritates me beyond belief, so ideally I'd like a quick conclusion to the story, preferably with Linda leaving.

Agreed, or at least with her taking a break! As it stands I think she will end up keeping the baby and we will have sit through the entire pregnancy and then Linda will be unable to bond with the baby or something like that, too many babies!! From Dom's interview on the Carter future, I think Linda is at the forefront all next year.
    I don't know what it is but I just can't warm to Linda at all, she has been toned down a lot since her arrival thankfully, but I still can't warm to her. :O
    I would have liked, at the beginning, Linda and Shirley to bond but I'm thinking that has gone out of the window...