Options

Does It Really Take Over A Week To Deliver A CD?

koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
I ordered a CD off Amazon Market place. The seller said it was dispatched last Monday, it finally arrived this Tuesday.

Surely it doesn't take a whole week to arrive. What do the post office do, leave it in a cage for a 5 days?

Comments

• Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably had to tunnel through the mountain of used **** butts outside your house.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should've bought Amazon Prime m'dear.

Does it say where the CD is being dispatched from?
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ordered a CD off Amazon Market place. The seller said it was dispatched last Monday, it finally arrived this Tuesday.

Surely it doesn't take a whole week to arrive. What do the post office do, leave it in a cage for a 5 days?

My daughter ordered hand printed t-shirts from the US and they arrived in 6 days. She ordered a dvd from the UK and it took nearly two weeks. No rhyme or reason to it.
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    probably a drop shifter.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'll say they've dispatched it asap to get the money but then they'll probably wait a few days to make a bulk drop off at the post office
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    Should've bought Amazon Prime m'dear.

Does it say where the CD is being dispatched from?

I don't mind that it took so long, but I just don't understand why it did.

I can't believe the seller dispatched it last Monday, yet it took this long to get here. I can only think that it was in the sorting office for days not being touched.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    They'll say they've dispatched it asap to get the money but then they'll probably wait a few days to make a bulk drop off at the post office

Yes that's what I think happened, but there is no time stamp on the package.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

The post office do screw-up on occasion, you know.

I once had a parcel go missing for a fortnight and, after the retailer chose to deny any liability, I was forced to chase it myself.
    I somehow managed to get hold of somebody who actually worked at the Carlisle sorting office (rather than some helpline drone) and, in the course of the conversation with him he said "Okay, I'm actually IN the holding room now and I can tell you for certain that there are absolutely NO parcels here due for delivery to.... Oh, wait a minute. What did you say your name was? There IS a parcel here". :rolleyes:

So, yeah. Sometimes your stuff can just be lying in a room somewhere, half-forgotten.

Course, unless you got a working tracking number (as opposed to a made-up one) it's also possible the retailer was lying through his teeth and actually only sends stuff out a couple of times a week.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    mackara wrote: »
    probably a drop shifter.

You mean drop shipping.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_shipping
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    The post office do screw-up on occasion, you know.

I once had a parcel go missing for a fortnight and, after the retailer chose to deny any liability, I was forced to chase it myself.
    I somehow managed to get hold of somebody who actually worked at the Carlisle sorting office (rather than some helpline drone) and, in the course of the conversation with him he said "Okay, I'm actually IN the holding room now and I can tell you for certain that there are absolutely NO parcels here due for delivery to.... Oh, wait a minute. What did you say your name was? There IS a parcel here". :rolleyes:

So, yeah. Sometimes your stuff can just be lying in a room somewhere, half-forgotten.

Course, unless you got a working tracking number (as opposed to a made-up one) it's also possible the retailer was lying through his teeth and actually only sends stuff out a couple of times a week.

I didn't have a tracking number as it was posted through normal postage.

I had a delivery estimate of next Tuesday at the latest, so it could have taken another week according to Amazon.

I'm just wondering if it was really dispatched a week ago, or if it was left for ages in the sorting office.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mackara wrote: »
    probably a drop shifter.
    jra wrote: »

Drop shipping wouldn't necessarily be slower. A third-party would ship the product on their own time. It would never go to the "seller" as that's the whole point of drop shipping.
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't have a tracking number as it was posted through normal postage.

I had a delivery estimate of next Tuesday at the latest, so it could have taken another week according to Amazon.

I'm just wondering if it was really dispatched a week ago, or if it was left for ages in the sorting office.

Notify Amazon. It looks like the seller probably didn't dispatch the item in time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    Notify Amazon. It looks like the seller probably didn't dispatch the item in time.

I know from experience Amazon are not worried if it is still within their estimated delivery date.

They were going to give it 2 weeks.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    lala wrote: »

Eh?

The seller quoted 14 days for delivery and it was delivered in 7.

I've ordered stuff off eBay and it's arrived the following day so it certain IS possible to get stuff around the country overnight but if the retailer is only quoting 14 days delivery you can't really complain when it takes 7.
  • Options
    bvmjainbvmjain Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    The Royal Mail take up to 15 working days to deliver standard mail (1st class/2nd class / 1st class recorded /2nd class recorded)

Although there is a lot of mechanisation in the sorting process- there is also a lot of human error.

A package intended for Wessex gets put in a bag of items intended for Sussex,

The item then travels to Sussex- where it is then re-sorted & sent back to Wessex -adding additional days to to the delivey time.

There are also local strikes that do not make the national Media- as workers walkout, over a verbal warning given by managers to a staff member who turns up for work drunk.

Then you have staff absence due to sickness- which means that there is a build up of mail.

You also have staff holidays- and this means transfering staff to cover holidays - who then have to start the process of 'learning' their new round....If they can't complete the round in time- they take the undelivered items back to the sorting office- for someone else to deal with.

Items are also wrongly deliverd e.g an item for 21b is deliverd to 21d or an item for No. 34 is deliverd to No. 134..

Often the householders who have received mail intended for someone else- either hang on to it- or post it back in a postbox -meaning the item goes through the postal system again.
    Or, the wrongly delivered mail is taken by the recipient, to the actual intended recipient and posted through the correct letterbox. (However if they have waited a few days before doing this- then it will look like an item has taken a long time to arrive.).

Either way patience is a virtue-- don't blame sellers for delivery times- as they have no control over the Royal Mail.........Allow up to 28 days for delivery for anything that you buy online & you will not be disappointed.