Options

Cheryl Cole set to become first British Female Artist to achieve 5 #1

Comments

• Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    No-one remembers how long a song was in the top 40 for though. They remember number 1's and they remember when someone breaks a record.

Not always. I doubt many people, other than her fans, can name any of Cheryl Cole's #1 singles. A lot of people out there can probably name quite a few of ABBA's or The Beatles, but I doubt Cheryl Cole's are going to stand the test of time and be played in decades to come. In Cheryl and Rita Ora's case it's all about quantity and as opposed to quality. Having lots of #1 singles means nothing when the material is substandard and forgettable. Cheryl is lucky to have a successful solo career. If it wasn't for The X-Factor she'd probably be like all the other members of Girls Aloud, i.e. forgotten and never talked about.

Some people may remember that Katy Perry matched Michael Jackson's record of having five US #1 singles from one album, but how many of those singles are going to be remembered in decades to come? The problem with some people on this forum and many others online is they have such a narrow-minded way of looking at things. Not everything boils down to the amount of hits an artist has or how many records an artist has sold. Cheryl Cole can sell 100 million records, but it will never change the fact she's void of any natural talent.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worked hard? She got lucky by auditioning for a talent show and got a place in a girlband. She then got signed for a solo deal by the same label who managed the girlband she was in. But saw even bigger success by sitting behind a desk telling people who are more talented then her that they are not talented

That isn't working hard. That's just pure luck

People who work hard are people like Ed Sheeran, who spent years busking on the street, doing hundreds of gigs, distributing his own self made Ep's and then attracting a record label. That's working hard.

Yes, she initially got lucky by getting through an audition, she then had to work hard each week to get voted through to eventually get a place in the group, she then had to work hard for years before GA really took off, Louis Walsh all but abandoned them and they had to style/manage themselves for at least 2 years after their victory.
    Her label then saw solo potential in her which off course paid off but let's face it, no one expected a Cheryl solo album to do well in the beginning.
    Your definition of working hard seems to be extremely limited, working hard is working hard, there aren't "degrees" of hard work, Ed and Cheryl worked hard in different ways, Ed got lucky by attracting a label. You could argue that every artist getting signed is luck.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    Worked hard? She got lucky by auditioning for a talent show and got a place in a girlband. She then got signed for a solo deal by the same label who managed the girlband she was in. But saw even bigger success by sitting behind a desk telling people who are more talented then her that they are not talented

That isn't working hard. That's just pure luck

People who work hard are people like Ed Sheeran, who spent years busking on the street, doing hundreds of gigs, distributing his own self made Ep's and then attracting a record label. That's working hard.

Both worked hard, they just did it in a different way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RikScot wrote: »
    Careful now...

"POP star Cheryl Fernandez-Versini has branded people "ignorant" for not calling her by her new name."

I do find it ironic that for years people have been asking why she kept Cole as her surname and she should have changed it. Now she has, people continue to call her Cole.
  • Options
    scar_tissuescar_tissue Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind her on the X factor but her voice is so blah, her songs could be sung by anyone. Full of backing vocals that arnt even her because of her very limited range.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    I'm her defence, Call My Name and Crazy Stupid Love didn't have Xf promo and this track shot straight to number 1 before the performance..

CSL released when she was filming crap factor and in the papers and rag mags every bloody day with her sob storys and "wedding". Also didnt call my name sell hardly anything a new low for a #1
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    CSL released when she was filming crap factor and in the papers and rag mags every bloody day with her sob storys and "wedding". Also didnt call my name sell hardly anything a new low for a #1

Call My Name sold 152 001 copies in it's first week, 2012's fastest selling number 1 until December. It has since been certified gold.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Call My Name sold 152 001 copies in it's first week, 2012's fastest selling number 1 until December. It has since been certified gold.

I stand corrected.

Also cole sang this track on the voice 2 weeks before release.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather Cheryl than Rita so good day for pop music.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Well done Cheryl. Great achievement :).
    Total Agreement!
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geri got her four in a row.

Something that is never mentioned by the media but an incredible fact at how popular she was at the time. She even got three number 1s on one studio album I don't see that happening ever again.
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe I Don't Care is being rated. It's properly lazy as a pop song - poor cheap production, repetitive lyrics, no real heart to it and completely unnecessary swearing.

I mean, I'm not saying her other singles have been AMAZING, but Fight for this Love, Crazy Stupid Love and Call My Name were at least well-produced.

I have no idea what her other #1 is - Parachute? Three Words?
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe I Don't Care is being rated. It's properly lazy as a pop song - poor cheap production, repetitive lyrics, no real heart to it and completely unnecessary swearing.

I mean, I'm not saying her other singles have been AMAZING, but Fight for this Love, Crazy Stupid Love and Call My Name were at least well-produced.

I have no idea what her other #1 is - Parachute? Three Words?

Promise This.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do find it ironic that for years people have been asking why she kept Cole as her surname and she should have changed it. Now she has, people continue to call her Cole.

She should of kept Cole. Never did no harm to Tina Turner, and she kept the name of a man who used to beat the living daylights out of her.

I cringe a little when famous people try to adapt to new names for the fans. Just keep the name we all know you of as your stage name.

Remember the short lived "Lily Rose Cooper" for Lily Allen. Thank god she reverted back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She should of kept Cole. Never did no harm to Tina Turner, and she kept the name of a man who used to beat the living daylights out of her.

I cringe a little when famous people try to adapt to new names for the fans. Just keep the name we all know you of as your stage name.

Remember the short lived "Lily Rose Cooper" for Lily Allen. Thank god she reverted back.

If she hadn't got married im sure she would still be Cole but as she's legally not Cole anymore, it doesn't make sense to keep Ashley's name.

I thought she was right to keep it but when she got re-married she understandably wanted to drop the ex's name.
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    Geri got her four in a row.

Something that is never mentioned by the media but an incredible fact at how popular she was at the time. She even got three number 1s on one studio album I don't see that happening ever again.

Yeah but she got that right off the back of the Spice Girls. At least Cheryl knocks Geri and Rita off top spot, they're worse than Cheryl!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GracieL wrote: »
    Yeah but she got that right off the back of the Spice Girls. At least Cheryl knocks Geri and Rita off top spot, they're worse than Cheryl!

Um no.

And Geri did not get them right off the back off the Spice Girls she didn't get her first one until 15 - 16 months after she had left. Her last 3 years after leaving.

Geri's number 1s solo were actually excellent pop songs (unlike Cheryls) especially Mi Chico Latino & Bag It Up. Geri also had writing input into them (bar her cover of It's Raining Men obviously)
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um no.

And Geri did not get them right off the back off the Spice Girls she didn't get her first one until 15 - 16 months after she had left. Her last 3 years after leaving.

Geri's number 1s solo were actually excellent pop songs (unlike Cheryls) especially Mi Chico Latino & Bag It Up. Geri also had writing input into them (bar her cover of It's Raining Men obviously)

Ok so she didn't release them straight away but she had to have time to write them/record them, she obviously released them as quickly as she could as she was still at the peak of her fame after ditching the spice girls and wearing the Union Jack dress. At least Cheryl hasn't resorted to OTT antics to stay in the spotlight.

I personally think Cheryl songs were better than Geri's, and Cheryl has co-written some songs too.
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um no.

Loved Bag it Up, and her performance at the Brits. You can say many things about Geri but she does have stage presence and charisma. IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GracieL wrote: »
    Ok so she didn't release them straight away but she had to have time to write them/record them, she obviously released them as quickly as she could as she was still at the peak of her fame after ditching the spice girls and wearing the Union Jack dress. At least Cheryl hasn't resorted to OTT antics to stay in the spotlight.

I personally think Cheryl songs were better than Geri's, and Cheryl has co-written some songs too.

Oh lol lol lol
    Loved Bag it Up, and her performance at the Brits. You can say many things about Geri but she does have stage presence and charisma. IMO.

Yup :)
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with the person who said they rather it was Cheryl than Rita!

But I'm also sad Geri has lost the title. At least Geri did stand for something. Her and the other Spice Girls were behind a whole new wave of pop movement. Whether you agree with what they achieved or not what they did was important and it shaped what music in the later 90s and early 00s became. Geri in that union jack dress at the Brits will forever be a symbol of 90s British popular culture. Neither Cheryl nor Rita will ever reach something as high as that. Cheryl's whole career is pretty much down to Simon Cowell anyway. Not her own drive or vision. I mean what exactly could you say she stands for?
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Yes, she initially got lucky by getting through an audition, she then had to work hard each week to get voted through to eventually get a place in the group, she then had to work hard for years before GA really took off, Louis Walsh all but abandoned them and they had to style/manage themselves for at least 2 years after their victory.
    Her label then saw solo potential in her which off course paid off but let's face it, no one expected a Cheryl solo album to do well in the beginning.
    Your definition of working hard seems to be extremely limited, working hard is working hard, there aren't "degrees" of hard work, Ed and Cheryl worked hard in different ways, Ed got lucky by attracting a label. You could argue that every artist getting signed is luck.

Are you for real?!! Cheryl has had it easy. She's never had to do the pub, clubs, weddings, barmitzbah's cricuit!!! She simply auditioned for a reality show. She was given the opportunity to sing in front of millions every Saturday for 10 weeks. That's incredible exposure for someone. Even in terms of being in a band, she had it so easy. There's bands who have been together for years trying to get record deals. There's nothing wrong with making it through a reality show, but to say she's had it just as hard as people like Ed Sheeran etc is just ridiculous.
  • Options
    rokaroka Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Good for her, she works hard and has made the best of her admittedly modest singing talent. Fair play to her I say.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Number ones mean less and less to me as the years go on. Like someone else said, Adele may have fewer number ones, but is infinitely more successful than cheryl can ever dream of being.

The saddest thing is that it's this particular song that's breaking the record. It's absolutely diabolical.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you for real?!! Cheryl has had it easy. She's never had to do the pub, clubs, weddings, barmitzbah's cricuit!!! She simply auditioned for a reality show. She was given the opportunity to sing in front of millions every Saturday for 10 weeks. That's incredible exposure for someone. Even in terms of being in a band, she had it so easy. There's bands who have been together for years trying to get record deals. There's nothing wrong with making it through a reality show, but to say she's had it just as hard as people like Ed Sheeran etc is just ridiculous.

No, it isn't ridiculous. They've worked hard in different ways. End of.