Account Advice/Question

AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello DS'rs

Asking on behalf of a friend here who can't get a clear answer.

She and her husband have split up after 20 years (of which they've had Sky) They aren't getting divorced as they both feel a bit old for that and are staying friends.

Hubby has moved out and wife wants to change Sky to her name but can't because there's no divorce/death (according to Sky) so only way to do is for the hubby to cancel the Sky.

Now question, if she were to set up the with the same surname but different person at the same address does she qualify for a new customer deal?

Sky Call Centre said they weren't sure and never got back to her and the Live Chat said the same.

Anyone more wise have advice?

Comments

• Peter_PaynePeter_Payne Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Hi, I was in the same boat, we were given the same answer "no you can not change the name on the account" my issue was about the phone number and BB service, i was toal that my wife would lose the phone number and have to wait 2 weeks for the BB to be moved over.

I then asked if we switched to virgin can we keep the number answer "yes" so effectivly i was told that its better to switch to virgin !!!!
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I'd just cancel and give it a whirl with a new customer deal. Use the wife's name and a different bank account. When you're cancelling, give the reason that you're moving out. It might work...worst that can happen is that she isn't considered a new customer, nout to lose really.

(This is just my opinion and is by no means guaranteed to work/totally moral).
  • lesnar01lesnar01 Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Hello DS'rs

Asking on behalf of a friend here who can't get a clear answer.

She and her husband have split up after 20 years (of which they've had Sky) They aren't getting divorced as they both feel a bit old for that and are staying friends.

Hubby has moved out and wife wants to change Sky to her name but can't because there's no divorce/death (according to Sky) so only way to do is for the hubby to cancel the Sky.

Now question, if she were to set up the with the same surname but different person at the same address does she qualify for a new customer deal?

Sky Call Centre said they weren't sure and never got back to her and the Live Chat said the same.

Anyone more wise have advice?

get the husband to ring and explain and they will need to speak to both parties at the same time before they can change any account details i hope this helps :)
  • bubblegunbubblegun Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lesnar01 wrote: »
    get the husband to ring and explain and they will need to speak to both parties at the same time before they can change any account details i hope this helps :)

The name cannot be changed to a different person.
    This is a Sky policy decision so the person staying at the property will become a new customer.There is no dishonesty involved so there will be no problems.