New Assistant confirmed (BBC NEWS Channel)

12345679»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    maine79 wrote: »
    no one who works on Who is going to say anything negative publically about the casting of Matt Smith. So even if they have some doubts they are not going to say anything publically to hurt the popularity of the show.

Or maybe, just maybe, they might actually think it a good decision and therefore won't speak negatively of it? Why can't you wait until Episode 1 of Series 5 before making a negative judgement? Makes zero sense to me to do otherwise...
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maine79 wrote: »
    I believe Matt Smith too young for the part and it's not going to work. I may change my mind, but I'm not the only one who has major doubts about him being the Doctor.

True; you're not. I've had misgivings since Matt got the part. I'm certainly hoping I'll be wrong. Time will tell.

No misgivings on the companion's age though. As has been shown, she's not the youngest companion to date. As it happens, I find it difficult to imagine an older companion long-term with a younger Doctor, and doubt if it would work well.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scotsmiss wrote: »
    ...Karen looks lovely.

Indeedy - she was always the best thing about the Kevin Bishop show :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a bad choice as far as I am concerned. I am glad they have gone for someone younger than a very young Doctor, I don't think it would have worked if his assitant would have been older.
    My actual choice for an assistant would have been the girl who played the Doctor's Daughter (Peter Davidson's actual daughter). It would have removed any sexual behaviour out of the relationship & brought in a new relationship dynamic to the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or maybe, just maybe, they might actually think it a good decision and therefore won't speak negatively of it? Why can't you wait until Episode 1 of Series 5 before making a negative judgement? Makes zero sense to me to do otherwise...

What you said - bang on!

I love that some Whovians are just cool with the fact that they love a kids show, I love it, gives me something in common with the niblings and also nurtures the inner child, keeps the hope alive and the cynicism at bay.

And then there are some people who are in denial about it being a kids show and think it kind of belongs to them alone and that they know better than everyone else about it. Coming out with things like there can't be a black Doctor, or this Doctor is too young. When really it's not up to them to decide that, it's just opinion.

I just think that the New Who team have done the best possible job they could for the last few years, the casting hasn't always been spon on (IMO Michelle Ryan was a nadir) but broadly they have made it a phenomenon. I remember people well taking the mickey out of me for being excited it was coming back and now it's almost cool to like it. It's event TV!

I have every faith in SM too, I have loved the eps he has written (with exception of GITF I wasn't keen) and I think if he saw magic with Matt Smith and now this young lady then I am going to wait for their performances before I decide he is a flaming idiot who can't be trusted with the show.

Like I say though, my opinion, nothing more, I don't know any better than any of you! :)

By the way, what happened to the Scottish agenda thread? did someone have a sense-of-humouroctomy at the weekend? :confused:
  • Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Posts: 10,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bezmina wrote: »
    What you said - bang on!

I love that some Whovians are just cool with the fact that they love a kids show, I love it, gives me something in common with the niblings and also nurtures the inner child, keeps the hope alive and the cynicism at bay.

And then there are some people who are in denial about it being a kids show and think it kind of belongs to them alone and that they know better than everyone else about it. Coming out with things like there can't be a black Doctor, or this Doctor is too young. When really it's not up to them to decide that, it's just opinion.

I just think that the New Who team have done the best possible job they could for the last few years, the casting hasn't always been spon on (IMO Michelle Ryan was a nadir) but broadly they have made it a phenomenon. I remember people well taking the mickey out of me for being excited it was coming back and now it's almost cool to like it. It's event TV!

I have every faith in SM too, I have loved the eps he has written (with exception of GITF I wasn't keen) and I think if he saw magic with Matt Smith and now this young lady then I am going to wait for their performances before I decide he is a flaming idiot who can't be trusted with the show.

Like I say though, my opinion, nothing more, I don't know any better than any of you! :)

By the way, what happened to the Scottish agenda thread? did someone have a sense-of-humouroctomy at the weekend? :confused:

I agree with every single word of that Bezmina. Bravo!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tigger-Roo wrote: »
    I agree with every single word of that Bezmina. Bravo!

Cheers Tigger! I must catch up on your Ashes to Ashes watching! I have been lurking on there!
  • Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Posts: 10,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers Tigger! I must catch up on your Ashes to Ashes watching! I have been lurking on there!

I haven't been watching so you haven't missed much. Might squeeze some in tonight. :)
  • EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What you said - bang on!

Its like you took the words out of my mouth! :eek:

...no, seriously, :mad: I'm having a slight identity crisis here, just stop what your doin'...

Jokes :D

And I don't know about anywhere else, but in my circle of teenage friends (17/18-years-old), it is cool to watch Doctor Who as event TV, but it isn't cool in the slightest to over-analyse episodes or record them onto DVD and keep them. :D So, to maintain my coolness I've eased down on recording them and basically watch them on iPlayer over and over again after they've aired in secret until I get bored of them! And they're repeated more than often enough on BBC3. I'm a Who-fan and I'm cool! Couldn't do that ten years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its like you took the words out of my mouth! :eek:

...no, seriously, :mad: I'm having a slight identity crisis here, just stop what your doin'...

Jokes :D

And I don't know about anywhere else, but in my circle of teenage friends (17/18-years-old), it is cool to watch Doctor Who as event TV, but it isn't cool in the slightest to over-analyse episodes or record them onto DVD and keep them. :D So, to maintain my coolness I've eased down on recording them and basically watch them on iPlayer over and over again after they've aired in secret until I get bored of them! And they're repeated more than often enough on BBC3. I'm a Who-fan and I'm cool! Couldn't do that ten years ago.

Yeah I try to keep the over analysis to a minimum too! And in an effort to convince my other half that I am not a total geek (though frankly he knows the truth :o ) I don't keep any DVD's either!
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I try to keep the over analysis to a minimum too! And in an effort to convince my other half that I am not a total geek (though frankly he knows the truth :o ) I don't keep any DVD's either!

why hide it,its pointless we always get caught out in the end with our geekdom:D
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martacus wrote: »
    Not a bad choice as far as I am concerned. I am glad they have gone for someone younger than a very young Doctor, I don't think it would have worked if his assitant would have been older.

They didn't have any choice but to get someone who looks younger. To have someone older would have meant it was Doctor Who and his Mum saving the galaxy. Instead we've got Doctor Who the undergraduate and his schoolgirl assistant.

I guess that by the next time they have to cast a new Doctor the cast will be so young it'll have to be shown on Cbeebies.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spacedone wrote: »
    They didn't have any choice but to get someone who looks younger. To have someone older would have meant it was Doctor Who and his Mum saving the galaxy. Instead we've got Doctor Who the undergraduate and his schoolgirl assistant.

I guess that by the next time they have to cast a new Doctor the cast will be so young it'll have to be shown on Cbeebies.

made by the creators of In The Night Garden:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    made by the creators of In The Night Garden:D

trippy! :D
  • trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why hide it,its pointless we always get caught out in the end with our geekdom:D

Indeed. You should be proud of your geekdom. You shouldn't feel you have to stay in the closet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, speaking realistically, it'd be the Post-graduate Doctor Who and his under-graduate assistant. But otherwise, are you too very against the casting decisions made thusfar before you've actually seen them perform in their roles?

Patience is a virtue! At least wait until the first few promo shots before deciding if they look right for the show. :D It will all pay off, I'm sure of it! Well, either sure or extremely hopeful.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, and instead of their first words being mama or dada, it'll be "Hmmm, closing all zed neutrino relay loops using an internalised synchronous back feed reversal loop. That button there!";)
  • Cameron KMcEwanCameron KMcEwan Posts: 1,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,554
    Forum Member

The problem may be slightly different but the conclusion is the same? With a new Doctor following a strong one, the expected thing is that a strong continuing companion keeps the ship afloat till they are established -like Sarah Jane or Nyssa/Tegan or Rose. Where that doesn't happen, the incoming Doctor has worked because they were very well known and loved (Jon Pertwee) Starting again from afresh with a new "different" Doctor (Colin Baker) is problematic. Having an older Doctor with a very dynamic younger companion works with Rose and Ace and Jo because they can be dynamic without upstaging their doctor. Having a pretty much unknown young Doctor and a younger unknown companion is what Sir Humphrey would call a courageous decision - reinventing two wheels when the show had already evolved into a racing bike.

Its a situation that seems unavoidable though when you go for a young unknown Doctor. An established much loved continuing companion or someone really well known or someone really dynamic would simply over shadow a new unknown young doctor. That means they can't use one of the probably great companions who have been seen popping up on Dr Who over the last 4 years but didn't get the job - from Jo Joyner to Michelle Ryan .

It may work and be great but the alternative of installing a strong new companion whilst David is still there and going for an older better known Doctor has better pedigree and wouldn't have left so many suitable and potentially brilliant companions floating around as unconcluded stories in the Who universe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dobsy wrote: »
    Yes, and instead of their first words being mama or dada, it'll be "Hmmm, closing all zed neutrino relay loops using an internalised synchronous back feed reversal loop. That button there!";)

"No, no no no, dada! DADA!!!"

"Da...da...daaa..."

"Yess go on, say it!!! :) "

"...Davros!"

"... you are now my least favourite offspring"

:D
  • stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New DWM cover:

http://img7.imageshack.us/i/13595072.jpg

What's up with that jacket? I thought it was Matt Smith who had the bad fashion sense? ;)
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stcoop wrote: »
    New DWM cover:

http://img7.imageshack.us/i/13595072.jpg

What's up with that jacket? I thought it was Matt Smith who had the bad fashion sense? ;)

Link doesn't work, stcoop.
  • stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Link doesn't work, stcoop.

Hmm. Needed a "/" at the end.

http://img7.imageshack.us/i/13595072.jpg/