Only Connect (BBC2)

Comments

• C HorseC Horse Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    Quite pleased the Nightwatchmen got gazumped at the end there. What an annoying captain.

He reminded me of the internal candidate in job interviews - I half expected him to be inviting VCM, the camera crew and his other "mates" for a beer after the show. But nowhere near as irritating as the collared Boardgamer's captain.
  • SimonK01SimonK01 Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    So, now that we've seen all 16 teams, anyone care to hazard any guesses as to who might be heading for the final?
  • Jungle CatsJungle Cats Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the captain of the losing team was VILE!!!! indefensible deplorable arrogant irritating, Evil ... >:( aren't enough bad things you can say about him. Far worse than the nauseating Board gamers and the irritating captain of the Cat Lovers from this series. Worse than Hitler in fact. >:(

He thought that because he had been on the pilot show years ago he was entitled to win. I wouldn't be surprised if he went to complain to the producers afterwards about the questions. Can't wait to see him lose again >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really miss the play your own walls on the website. Always looked forward to doing those after the show :(

I guess they had to dumb it down for the move to BBC2
  • SimonK01SimonK01 Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    the captain of the losing team was VILE!!!! indefensible deplorable arrogant irritating, Evil ... >:( aren't enough bad things you can say about him. Far worse than the nauseating Board gamers and the irritating captain of the Cat Lovers from this series. Worse than Hitler in fact. >:(

Erm... OK... Personally I didn't think Hitler was all that terrible, though he should have listened to Goering when he suggested "Characters from Lost" as a group on the connecting wall. And of course he cost his team a couple of points by jumping in too quickly in missing vowels.

Have to agree with you on the captain of the Felinophiles, though - he was awful! ;-)
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just meant that sometimes you have to know when to keep your mouth shut, and remember you are just contestants on a quiz show and don't have to take over the entire programme with your supposedly witty repartee. That is what the 'talent' is there for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SimonK01 wrote: »
    Have to agree with you on the captain of the Felinophiles, though - he was awful! ;-)

He was. Let's hope he doesn't post here....
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

He thought that because he had been on the pilot show years ago he was entitled to win. I wouldn't be surprised if he went to complain to the producers afterwards about the questions. Can't wait to see him lose again >:(

Wow, calm down. Did he shag you and then didn't phone, or something?
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member

Really hope I don't meet him in public. Came across as the sort of person who'd spend all day in a museum learning facts. Very geeky.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Weird, I saw a ton of this kind of reaction on Twitter as well. They didn't really come across like that at all to me.

This. I'm not seeing the big upset over the guy.
    Forum Member
    Me neither.

Forget the team captains. I'm wondering how the three teams of two pilot worked.
  • davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey! What's happened to the thread about our favourite little brain workout? I suggest some of you take your bile for contestants & presenter to some other place. We do pedantry & obscure answers that the question setters never thought of here. This behaviour is more suited to the X Factor thread than this one.
    Where can we apply to go back to BBC4 please?
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably been asked before, but why, in the second round do the points drop from two to one when the question is offered over if they are shown no more clues?
  • Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Probably been asked before, but why, in the second round do the points drop from two to one when the question is offered over if they are shown no more clues?

Not sure If I understand your question but when the question is offered over, the opposing team is shown the third in the sequence. So only 1 point is offered.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erm... OK... Personally I didn't think Hitler was all that terrible, though he should have listened to Goering when he suggested "Characters from Lost" as a group on the connecting wall. And of course he cost his team a couple of points by jumping in too quickly in missing vowels.

Quite astonishing really, that Hitler and his team more or less repeated the same mistakes the Napoleophiles did just a few series earlier.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    I really miss the play your own walls on the website. Always looked forward to doing those after the show :(

I guess they had to dumb it down for the move to BBC2
    There's one every week in Radio Times, and has been for some time. Problem with it though is that the resolution is shown on another page and, because of that, I haven't got the patience to really work it out and cheat after about a minute.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ex Pat wrote: »
    Not sure If I understand your question but when the question is offered over, the opposing team is shown the third in the sequence. So only 1 point is offered.

I'm talking about the second round where 3 clues for one team gives 2 points and when it gets passed over goes down to one point with no extra clues.
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    Me neither.

Forget the team captains. I'm wondering how the three teams of two pilot worked.
    Obviously not as well as 2 teams of 3. Perhaps 3 walls just slowed the whole thing down too much.
  • systemcvsystemcv Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    There would have to be 3 Walls for a start (assuming the same format), which would add considerably to the time and require an additional set of 16 clues.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me neither.

I would have thought that three teams would just slow everything down. It would only work if the format was changed so that the three teams competed directly by buzzing to answer but that would not fit with the way the first and second rounds of Only Connect operate.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    For any fans of VCM she's hosting HIGNFY tonight
    Forum Member
    Loved the connections round she did.

Company I work for designed the Mature Times website and I did some work on it last year. :D
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the connections round she did.

Company I work for designed the Mature Times website and I did some work on it last year. :D

The panellists did not seem familiar with the Only Connect format. That happens they have celebrity panellists on Only Connect, many of them appear to live in a little bubble and not watch much TV!
  • cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    The panellists did not seem familiar with the Only Connect format. That happens they have celebrity panellists on Only Connect, many of them appear to live in a little bubble and not watch much TV!

She was on QI last week and they also did an "Only Connect" style question, and again, it seemed unfamiliar to the other contestants!
  • TregardTregard Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »

Ian Hislop has been on OC twice, and Paul seemed to get what was going on