Options

further problem with street cat

CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
Forum Member
✭✭
ok im getting really fed up now

further to my previous post the cat mention continues to try and get into the homes of people in the street, its even climbing over my (& maybe others, I dont know) gate, when the backdroor is open.

It is also rubbing itself next to the wood on the doorstep and the wooden gate.

Seriously I woul dlike to know how to prevent the cat from wanting in my house. The garden would be ok if I didnt know it wanted to get in.

Comments

• Options
    cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Garden hose.
  • Options
    missyaliciamissyalicia Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, I had to stop my neighbours cat from coming in my garden full stop. It's been 7 years of spraying on everything in sight in the garden which stinks and even worse all over the house, especially the kitchen. He would do it particularly on shelves with food on and all over children's belongings/toys in the house and garden. My neighbour claimed he had been neutered but I doubt this very much, given the stench.

Anyway. I used a spray bottle. I don't actually spray him, just near him whenever he jumps onto the fence. He now doesnt come into the garden at all. I keep the bottle near my back door which deters him. Also just the sound of the spray is enough for him to leave the garden.

I felt awfully cruel but I couldn't have any windows or doors open, leave any food out and the children couldn't leave a toy for 5 minutes. I did have a locking flap but I don't know how he still managed to get in.
  • Options
    Pippa 2Pippa 2 Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone used a garden hose on MY cats then there would be trouble. Cats are cats...they ROAM...it's Nature. Stop being so petty and cruel. People who whinge about cats in their garden make me sick.:mad:
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pippa 2 wrote: »
    If someone used a garden hose on MY cats then there would be trouble. Cats are cats...they ROAM...it's Nature. Stop being so petty and cruel. People who whinge about cats in their garden make me sick.:mad:
    um its water, dont so dramatic I would only have used the shower setting. :rolleyes:

Yes I am aware cats roam, but prior to this one, ive not had one run to the door, the moment I open it, and certanily none so bold as to run in my house, up my stairs and into my bedroom.

If you like the cat so much, you can come down and claim it.

That said I think my sister wants to keep it :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The hose pipe wouldnt work with my cats as they like water. Only 6 of mine go out the other are not bothered at all. I always tell people if my cat causes any damage too there house ie poops or wees come and tell me and i will clean it up nobody has ever come too me though.
    Have you tried a cat flap that reads the chip. My cats can ram raid cat flaps so i no it can be done.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    ok im getting really fed up now

further to my previous post the cat mention continues to try and get into the homes of people in the street, its even climbing over my (& maybe others, I dont know) gate, when the backdroor is open.

It is also rubbing itself next to the wood on the doorstep and the wooden gate.

Seriously I woul dlike to know how to prevent the cat from wanting in my house. The garden would be ok if I didnt know it wanted to get in.

Poor thing needs love and some din dins. Cats rub against things as their own sat nav system.
  • Options
    Rupert RigsbyRupert Rigsby Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Pippa 2 wrote: »

Perhaps you would like to come to my garden and clear up the damage a cat has caused to my vegetables?

I am fed up of clearing up their droppings from my vegetable beds and not to mention it digging up my seedlings causing around £100 of damage,

Cats shouldn't roam, If a dog roams it's classed as a stray,

You want a cat, You keep it in your own house I don't want one on my property because I can't stand the bloody things

Not to mention another cat terrorising our pet rabbit
  • Options
    SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you would like to come to my garden and clear up the damage a cat has caused to my vegetables?

I am fed up of clearing up their droppings from my vegetable beds and not to mention it digging up my seedlings causing around £100 of damage,

Cats shouldn't roam, If a dog roams it's classed as a stray,

You want a cat, You keep it in your own house I don't want one on my property because I can't stand the bloody things

Not to mention another cat terrorising our pet rabbit

May I suggest you put up mini fencing (preferrably a pointed one) or wire mesh around and over your vegetable patches. I have 2 cats and one of them particularly used to keep digging up my plants to do her business and damaging them, so I put up a mini fence and placed a wire mesh over the plants and it has worked wonders.

Also try placing large stones or small pieces of rocks if you can get them, in the soil and around the plants and vegetables - cats don't tend to dig in areas if these things are placed in the soil I've discovered - mine haven't anyway since I've done this.
  • Options
    curlywurlycurlywurly Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    make a recording of a dog barking, i think you can actually buy ornamental dogs that bark when an object passess its sensor, that would deter a cat from your garden.
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pippa2, excuse me, but if my dog wandered into your garden and dug up your flower beds or similar & dropped a massive crap next to something you were going to eat, you'd be pretty annoyed wouldn't you?
    it's really not any different. the cat is causing damage to someone else's property, maybe that property doesn't matter to you (obviously) but it damn well matters to them and i don't really think that a bit of water used as a deterrent is going to harm the puss now is it?
    it's highly unlikely to even come into contact with the cat.

Now i don't mind cats, i just wouldn't have one myself. (at the moment we have no choice though as one seems to want to move in)
    they can come into the garden as much as they want, but if they soil my grass or try hunting my pets (guineas, rabbits, quail) frankly, i don't give a hoot if the dog chases them out or if i have to get the water gun, they're being removed from the area in the quickest way possible and that is that, that grass is a food source and those animals have a right to exercise without disturbance.

i'm happy for the cat to come in and wander among the big guineas & rabbits while they're out, he doesn't bother to chase them & they're not really bothered by his presence.
    but when he went after the 4 week old kittens which were hopping around the garden with their mum then he was forcibly chased out with a net (the only thing i had to hand at the time)
  • Options
    cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either the cat is welcome all the time or none of it, and for you I suspect none of it would be just fine. Hosing a cat that was being a nuisance worked really well for me, and never hurt the cat except for it's dignity, slightly.
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those of you having problems with cats digging up plants then why not try planting cat repellent plants in the area. They look good amongst other plants but will work at stopping cats pretty much straight away. One is Lemon Balm that cats do not like due to the citrus aroma given of, and the other that works is Helichrysum which they do not like again due to the smell but also the course texture. Both are easily available from garen centres or also online eg

http://www.ecocharlie.co.uk/cat-clear.html