Options

Oswin Clara was in the library?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    It does make sense that when he gave her a key to the tardis she began crying and she really didn't know why she was crying. But it was because deep inside her that that's where it all started, and she was finally back, and making a full circle
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancing on the Edge is Black Orchid, Room at the Top is... what, The Idiot's Lantern?

Wonder how her time on Waterloo Road fits into all this. :p

Her father tried to delete all the recorded Doctor Who episodes - so she killed him. The Doctor is saved once more.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Yes, each Clara was an echo of the original - the same passion for souffles, the same computer skills, all the things the original Clara had picked up and learned. But I don't think she knew where they came from. I agree with the comment on destiny - there's no doubt she had some kind of compulsion to be drawn to this Doctor person, after all she was literally thrown into his path.

There were many of her incarnations that we saw shouting his name, but I assume this is because, like in the Asylum and Victorian London, she learned who he was each time.
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does make sense that when he gave her a key to the tardis she began crying and she really didn't know why she was crying. But it was because deep inside her that that's where it all started, and she was finally back, and making a full circle

Yes, that's the sort of vibe I got. Obviously in the clips in TNOTD she appears more confident and knowledgeable about the Doctor, especially when shouting after Pertwee who presumably had not introduced himself to her. I suppose if I wanted to make up a theory to explain Moffat's obvious lack of forethought in AOTD and Snowmen, I'd say because Clara was splintered across time some bits of her were more knowledgeable and some less, with Dalek Clara and Clara Oswin being particularly thick. :p
  • Options
    FATCHOPSFATCHOPS Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Clara was Oswin and Clara was Clara Oswin Oswald are we supposed to beleive she was Ace, Sarah Jane, Tegan, Donna, etc. I think these are some of the ones she was dressed as. Don't shoot me if I'm wrong on the names, but if you can answer if we're supposed to believe she was all the previous companions she was dressed as?
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FATCHOPS wrote: »
    If Clara was Oswin and Clara was Clara Oswin Oswald are we supposed to beleive she was Ace, Sarah Jane, Tegan, Donna, etc. I think these are some of the ones she was dressed as. Don't shoot me if I'm wrong on the names, but if you can answer if we're supposed to believe she was all the previous companions she was dressed as?

In a word, no. But having entered the Doctor's timeline it makes sense that elements of it would reflect in her wardrobe.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    I just don't buy the character of Clara at all; that's just me, most other viewers writing on here seem to love it.;)

One charcter from this series that I DO NOT like is Dr Simeon (Richard E Grant).

I don't like the thought that he is going to be watching over the Doctor during the rest of his adventures.

Why don't we just have Doctor Who as it has been for nearly 50 years? The Doctor going about his business without anyone interfering?

I didn't like the finale much at all. It was pretty average, really. Apart from the old footage of the past Doctors. That was good.

I just hope that in the 50th anniversary special, the timeline gets restored to as it should be and that Matt's Doctor can go about things as normal.

As for Clara, I don't think they should've had her as someone who has watched over the Doctor during his 11 lives.

The other bit of the finale that I was quite shocked and upset about was when the Doctor went into the white flashy bit where the console should be, and doing so, messed up his whole timeline.

I just hope that next year in series 8, it's all back to normal. As for Jenna. Well? I don't think she'll be in series 8. The writers seem to have brought her story to a close quite quickly.

Next year, I hope Steven Moffatt brings back the Slitheen. We haven't had them in Doctor Who since Annette Badland was in the show in 2005. It would be great if the Doctor could face them again.

I seem to remember that there was one Slitheen in the Pandorica Opens, but that was it. Apart from series 1 of SJA in 2007, and the Slitheen appearing in one 10th Doctor book, we haven't seen them on TV for a while.

Is there anyone else out there that would want them back?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Jenna is already confirmed for S8 and we know she is in the 50th. Clara's story goes on, her mystery has been solved though. As of now she's just his companion again.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe it was sadness and release at the same time but just for a moment.:cry:
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k9fan
    I just don't buy the character of Clara at all; that's just me, most other viewers writing on here seem to love it.
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    One charcter from this series that I DO NOT like is Dr Simeon (Richard E Grant).

I don't like the thought that he is going to be watching over the Doctor during the rest of his adventures.

Why don't we just have Doctor Who as it has been for nearly 50 years? The Doctor going about his business without anyone interfering?

I didn't like the finale much at all. It was pretty average, really. Apart from the old footage of the past Doctors. That was good.

I just hope that in the 50th anniversary special, the timeline gets restored to as it should be and that Matt's Doctor can go about things as normal.

As for Clara, I don't think they should've had her as someone who has watched over the Doctor during his 11 lives.

The other bit of the finale that I was quite shocked and upset about was when the Doctor went into the white flashy bit where the console should be, and doing so, messed up his whole timeline.

I just hope that next year in series 8, it's all back to normal. As for Jenna. Well? I don't think she'll be in series 8. The writers seem to have brought her story to a close quite quickly.

Next year, I hope Steven Moffatt brings back the Slitheen. We haven't had them in Doctor Who since Annette Badland was in the show in 2005. It would be great if the Doctor could face them again.

I seem to remember that there was one Slitheen in the Pandorica Opens, but that was it. Apart from series 1 of SJA in 2007, and the Slitheen appearing in one 10th Doctor book, we haven't seen them on TV for a while.

Agreed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The farting aliens? No thanks.

Tho the great intelligence did disappointment me I felt like they were just thrown in when needed, it didn't answer anything for the bells of St. John's..... Ergh
  • Options
    FATCHOPSFATCHOPS Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ea91 wrote: »
    In a word, no. But having entered the Doctor's timeline it makes sense that elements of it would reflect in her wardrobe.

Does it make sense she was dresses as companions?
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FATCHOPS wrote: »
    Does it make sense she was dresses as companions?

or was that just to get us second guessing?
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    ea91 wrote: »
    I don't think that's the case. Whether it was on Moffat's part or Clara's part, Oswin's dismissive "never met you" was blatant foreshadowing. Besides, Clara entered the timeline to save the Doctor, she had to know who he is in order to succeed a million times. Nothing suggests that her memory would have been wiped any more than Amy's was in The Wedding of River Song (where she didn't remember her real life but remembered the Doctor and knew she had to save him).

Except she doesn't. She says she doesn't. Not just there, but when she goes back. It is science fiction, she does not need to know who he is to save him, and it was made abundantly clear that she didn't know him.

It's there.

In the episodes!

I don't know how much clearer it needs to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »

No.

It was made clear, by the flashback scenes, that Dr Simeon was stopped. She stopped him, therefore he's not there anymore.

That was shown on the screen. A couple of times...

And the Slitheen were a moderately decent monster. But they are done now. They were a comical monster used for those stories. No need to bring them back - they don't have that much power as a 'monster', and I think their story was fairly well finished by the end of their use in SJA.
  • Options
    Gary of BeestonGary of Beeston Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think of it that the age and part of her life (lives) that she interacts with the Doctor is the point at which she's aware of who she is and what she's there for.

In a sense "Run you clever boy, and remember" is the moment of sentience (at which point she dies, mirroring when she entered his time stream) but that that clarity is clouded the further away from the moment she is (i.e the younger she is) until it becomes not an issue, and buried in her mind while she's growing up.

Gary
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    There's obviously going to be some incarnations (Dalek Oswin, Victorian Clara, Gallifreyan Clara) that actually find out who the Doctor is and help him voluntarily. In the case of Gallifreyan Clara, perhaps she has a better idea of what's going on than the rest of them!

(Would have been nice if there was a Silurian Clara, or a Drahvin Clara, or some other incarnation that he could have interacted with while being so unrecognisable that he wouldn't remember the similarity later.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd love a mini episode of each bit of point in helping, like an explanation of what the GI did, and what she did to save the day even if it is for 1-2 minute snippit ( obviously not the aotd and snowmen clara we know what happened there)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    There's obviously going to be some incarnations (Dalek Oswin, Victorian Clara, Gallifreyan Clara) that actually find out who the Doctor is and help him voluntarily. In the case of Gallifreyan Clara, perhaps she has a better idea of what's going on than the rest of them!

(Would have been nice if there was a Silurian Clara, or a Drahvin Clara, or some other incarnation that he could have interacted with while being so unrecognisable that he wouldn't remember the similarity later.)

I don't really understand how Clara could have been Gallifreyan or a Time Lady. I thought Clara is supposed to be a human being? And therefore jumped into the Doctor's time stream as a human being? If that's the case, I would think that all of the other Claras that "splintered off" would have been human beings also.

Otherwise, that would mean that Clara could change her species and I don't remember that being mentioned either in "The Name of the Doctor" or any other Clara episodes. Of course, it's possible I missed the explanation or am simply not understanding something that will be explained in the 50th anniversary episode but at the moment I don't understand that viewpoint.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    WhoFan55 wrote: »
    I don't really understand how Clara could have been Gallifreyan or a Time Lady. I thought Clara is supposed to be a human being? And therefore jumped into the Doctor's time stream as a human being? If that's the case, I would think that all of the other Claras that "splintered off" would have been human beings also.

Otherwise, that would mean that Clara could change her species and I don't remember that being mentioned either in "The Name of the Doctor" or any other Clara episodes. Of course, it's possible I missed the explanation or am simply not understanding something that will be explained in the 50th anniversary episode but at the moment I don't understand that viewpoint.

All we know is she was splintered and seeded. There is no mention of whether she consciously chose what she was (highly doubtful), or if it was her essence that was sent to those times and places - which would not preclude her being seeded as another species - or if something else entirely different happened. I doubt it will ever be pinned down exactly, as it would complicate matters into nonsense!