Comments

• JARVJARV Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've now brought 1994-2000, DI Johnson brought back some memories
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched my recording and also the YouTube version - an amazing episode. The build up to the fire is gripping, and the fire itself is a fantastic stunt. Frustrating that Kate is prepared to shop Chandler, but then gets caught up in the explosion.
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    CBel27 wrote: »
    You're better off watching this taped original ITV transmission on YouTube rather than the completely, utterly atrocious, butchered version Drama aired today... >:(

Thanks for the link.
    42 minutes of show today in a 1 hour slot Drama cut this up badly even des throwing the firebomb wasn't shown

They didn't even show Des removing the petrol bomb from the bag!
    That bit when Chandler was bellowing at Kate to shut up then suddenly eating her face off was very badly edited!

She said something along the lines of 'you let Conway burn so you could screw me'
    Disappointing that this episode was hacked to bits. I'm going to watch my recording later but if this much was cut out, I'll probably watch it on YouTube again. Thanks for the link CBel27.
    Madsocks wrote: »
    I can't watch these anymore, they are just hacked to bits. And it's not just swear words that are dubbed, entire scenes are being cut.

I've always known these repeats are edited but this one was pretty bad.
    Some subtle cuts you'd never notice (Polly popping another pill near the end, sitting on the toilet before being disturbed by Cass and Di) to major ones like the attack on the station.
    The severity of the petrol bomb attack on the front of the station was completely lost in the edit! Also, the scene where the fire travels down the corridors (which I thought was pretty effective) was edited out.

They edited the scene where June chases the gang into the warehouse and almost runs straight into a piece of wire at neck level on the stairway as the leader taunts her.
    The daytime schedule probably forced them to edit the scene where June is trapped by the gang who psychologically threaten to sexually assault her.
    Similarly they felt Des squaring up to Harry and calling him a "care in the community reta*d" was going down dodgy territory.

I appreciate the only way to see these episodes uncut is to purchase them. It's just a shame that a late slot couldn't be found for them to be shown unedited.

If anyone only saw the Drama version of this episode I'd highly recommend checking out CBel27's link to see it in full! :)
  • Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bonesy84 wrote: »
    If anyone doesn't mind downloading episodes instead of buying the dvds you can buy series 1 to 17 on the Australian itunes obviously you need to set up an account for that country plus it's quite a bit cheaper than getting the dvds imported

For those who want the DVDs, the last couple of series I bought (1992/3) were available on Amazon.co.uk, still imported from Australia in multi-region format but "fulfilled by Amazon". This meant there was a free delivery option and import duties had already been paid. They were still on the pricey side but saved some of the cost of importing and cut out several weeks waiting time, being delivered within a couple of days. I haven't checked that everything's available by this means, but it's worth looking.
  • merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointing that the episodes cannot be shown in full, looks like I need to dig my VCR out to play the fire episode, did UK Gold cut them this much when they were showing them?
  • darrenh2011darrenh2011 Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the only thing really cut on the uk gold version was a small clip of police beating the rioters outside the station
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,046
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the link.

They didn't even show Des removing the petrol bomb from the bag!

She said something along the lines of 'you let Conway burn so you could screw me'

I've always known these repeats are edited but this one was pretty bad.
    Some subtle cuts you'd never notice (Polly popping another pill near the end, sitting on the toilet before being disturbed by Cass and Di) to major ones like the attack on the station.
    The severity of the petrol bomb attack on the front of the station was completely lost in the edit! Also, the scene where the fire travels down the corridors (which I thought was pretty effective) was edited out.

They edited the scene where June chases the gang into the warehouse and almost runs straight into a piece of wire at neck level on the stairway as the leader taunts her.
    The daytime schedule probably forced them to edit the scene where June is trapped by the gang who psychologically threaten to sexually assault her.
    Similarly they felt Des squaring up to Harry and calling him a "care in the community reta*d" was going down dodgy territory.

I appreciate the only way to see these episodes uncut is to purchase them. It's just a shame that a late slot couldn't be found for them to be shown unedited.

If anyone only saw the Drama version of this episode I'd highly recommend checking out CBel27's link to see it in full! :)

I watched the YouTube episode and the other bit cut from the Chandler/Spears scene was when he called her a little bitch.

I'm fed up with all the cuts, but surely they can show the full episode without cuts on the late night showing! It's repeated after midnight so why not show it in full then? Does anyone know if the repeats later are uncut or cut ?
  • Bonesy84Bonesy84 Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    I watched the YouTube episode and the other bit cut from the Chandler/Spears scene was when he called her a little bitch.

I'm fed up with all the cuts, but surely they can show the full episode without cuts on the late night showing! It's repeated after midnight so why not show it in full then? Does anyone know if the repeats later are uncut or cut ?

According to there facebook page people have been complaining as the later repeats are cut too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Ive just watched the You tube version, i agree the Drama version was really spoilt by the cuts, because of the cuts a lot was taken out of context, the bit with Kate Spears with Chandler, i didnt know she had a go at Chandler before he pushed her and kissed her, the drama version just cut to him kissing her and her kneeing him, i was a bit lost as to what was going on.

The bit with Taviner calling Harry a retard, on Drama it just cut to Harry shouting "you will all be sorry" i wondered why he was shouting, now i have seen the You Tube version its made it clearer. As others have said i can understand cuts in the morning, but they could show the proper versions at night.

I don't really remember the fire and what happened first time around, so finding out Taviner threw the petrol bomb into Monroe's offfice, and causing the explosion was a shock, i'm loving it, its like watching a brand new drama for me. :p

I like the bit where everyone was going to the pub, and a few were told they had to stay and do some work, you could just tell they were the ones to die. They should have all just wore jumpers with a target printed on :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea no reason to cut the late night versions and if they are going to make cuts at least make them a little less obvious, poor editing and it makes the show look bad. One of the best episodes hacked to pieces, I'm just glad I kept a copy of the original. Plus if UK Gold didn't make these cuts then why are Drama now, it's still UKTV as before.
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    I like the bit where everyone was going to the pub, and a few were told they had to stay and do some work, you could just tell they were the ones to die. They should have all just wore jumpers with a target printed on :D
    Or red ones. :D
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame they killed so many of my favourites that I remember from the time. I would only have killed off Monroe and Riley, and maybe Kate but she's grown on my recently!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    So poor Polly asks Stamp to keep it quiet about her suicide attempt,,, so he goes off tells Jim Carver, then blames June Acklund for it, he's a bit of a knob is Tony. (well acted though imo)
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I loved that whole sequence of Des throwing the bomb, Sam looking puzzled by what was going on and the fire travelling down the corridors - very effective. It was good to see that on the YouTube version. Poor Sam :( he is such a nice, lovely character. If I was Cass, I would happily settle for him. :)
    Ken Tun wrote: »
    For those who want the DVDs, the last couple of series I bought (1992/3) were available on Amazon.co.uk, still imported from Australia in multi-region format but "fulfilled by Amazon". This meant there was a free delivery option and import duties had already been paid. They were still on the pricey side but saved some of the cost of importing and cut out several weeks waiting time, being delivered within a couple of days. I haven't checked that everything's available by this means, but it's worth looking.

I've bought a few of the DVDs myself already - they are of an excellent quality, though pricey. The cuts on Drama doesn't usually bother me much, but it was the fact the fire was such a big event and it was cut, that was annoying.
    Forum Member
    According to there facebook page people have been complaining as the later repeats are cut too

I really can't see the point in cutting the late ones >:(
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    It's a shame they killed so many of my favourites that I remember from the time. I would only have killed off Monroe and Riley, and maybe Kate but she's grown on my recently!

She's grown on your what? :D
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's grown on your what? :D

Oops.
  • Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone doesn't mind downloading episodes instead of buying the dvds you can buy series 1 to 17 on the Australian itunes obviously you need to set up an account for that country plus it's quite a bit cheaper than getting the dvds imported

And further to my reply at #1380 above re buying the DVDs "fulfilled by" Amazon.co.uk....

I just bought Series 10 (1994) Parts 1&2 and 3&4 (i.e. complete) for a total of £79.80 including free delivery. That's 156 episodes @ just under 52p per episode. Can Australian iTunes match that, I wonder? But whatever that deal, the Amazon/Atomic Movies price is worth paying to have 24 new DVDs on my shelf.
  • JARVJARV Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same here, love the 1994 episodes
  • CBel27CBel27 Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    Here's a diagram I acquired some years ago showing the planned bombing of Sun Hill nick...

Sun Hill fire diagram
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, the conspiracy theorists would be going nuts about the 'magic fireball'. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some great shows left for 2002!
  • f1fantic1f1fantic1 Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When do people feel was the start of the decline of "The Bill"?
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    f1fantic1 wrote: »
    When do people feel was the start of the decline of "The Bill"?

The move to 9pm killed it, I know many would disagree and say it was happening alot earlier but if memory serves The Bill was doing absolutely fine ratings wise running Wednesday and Thursdays at 8pm, it would usually outrate what the BBC had on at the same time but as soon as ITV decided to mess with the schedules again and moving it to 9pm meant the BBC could attack it which they did with New Tricks and unfortunately The Bill stood no chance, it was never a 9pm show and if it had remained where it was then it would i'm sure still be running today.
  • Bonesy84Bonesy84 Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    Ken Tun wrote: »
    And further to my reply at #1380 above re buying the DVDs "fulfilled by" Amazon.co.uk....

I just bought Series 10 (1994) Parts 1&2 and 3&4 (i.e. complete) for a total of £79.80 including free delivery. That's 156 episodes @ just under 52p per episode. Can Australian iTunes match that, I wonder? But whatever that deal, the Amazon/Atomic Movies price is worth paying to have 24 new DVDs on my shelf.

On the Australian iTunes it's $9.99 per part

https://itunes.apple.com/au/tv-season/the-bill-series-10-pt.-1/id824554203