working hours.

Comments

• DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »
    A quick google states the definition of shop is were goods and services are sold. I sell cars. I hope there is no loop hole

Is that a general definition you found or one specific to this piece of legislation? You have to be careful as legislation often uses its own specific definitions.
  • crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavidT wrote: »
    Is that a general definition you found or one specific to this piece of legislation? You have to be careful as legislation often uses its own specific definitions.

The second paragraph looks clear cut? http://www.crispinrhodes.co.uk/blog/2011/04/staff-can-opt-out-of-sunday-working/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found this which muddies it further as it appears to indicate the opt out rules only apply to "shops" over a certain size. http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/work_e/work_rights_at_work_e/basic_rights_at_work.htm#Sunday_working_England_Wales_and_Norther

Presumably the CAB have got this bit right?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for that. Interesting how no other web site states that even the gov website because it critical. Thankfully I work at a very large showroom and four court which I imagine must be over 280sf
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for that. Interesting how no other web site states that even the gov website because it critical. Thankfully I work at a very large showroom and four court which I imagine must be over 280sf

That's why legislation can be such a pain. You end up having to constantly look out for definitions. Presumably somewhere there must be guidance on what a "shop" is and how you calculate its size, i.e. what bits you include and exclude. Even the simplest term often has a completely different meaning to what you think it would have.
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand some people choosing not to work on a Sunday because they have a family, etc. But I don't mind at all. I get time and a half for working a 8hr shift. With the hours that I work during the week as well, it adds up to a nice little earner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I think you do need to be careful here. it sounds as though management have already tried to accommodate your requests by giving you Saturday off, so it may not go down well you announcing that you're no longer going to work Sundays.

although legally I guess they can't fire you, i'm sure if they were cutting numbers, those who are most flexible with their hours are more likely to stay.

I think when you work in retail (or other jobs) you have to understand it's not going to be a 9-5 job. it's just the nature of the trade unfortunately.

anyway, best of luck and let us know how it goes! it'll be interesting to see how they handle your Sunday opt out xx
  • maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought that as a car salesman that Saturday and Sunday are the busy days and therefore if you are on commission based pay like the majority of car salesman that you would prefer to work when it's busy? Ask for 2 midweek days off instead and you would be likely to get it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maxsi wrote: »
    I would have thought that as a car salesman that Saturday and Sunday are the busy days and therefore if you are on commission based pay like the majority of car salesman that you would prefer to work when it's busy? Ask for 2 midweek days off instead and you would be likely to get it

After reading the OP and I had a look around and found an old thread on MSE forums about this subject. Oddly enough it was also from a car salesman who didn't want to work on Sundays. The reason he gave was because it was the worst day of the week to earn commissions.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Is it harder to arrange finance for a car on a Sunday?
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Is it harder to arrange finance for a car on a Sunday?

nope, all the systems are automated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I looked at all my deals last month and wednsdays were the busiest days for car sales. Since the Internet the weekends have died and they arnt any busier than weekdays
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you do need to be careful here. it sounds as though management have already tried to accommodate your requests by giving you Saturday off, so it may not go down well you announcing that you're no longer going to work Sundays.

although legally I guess they can't fire you, i'm sure if they were cutting numbers, those who are most flexible with their hours are more likely to stay.

I think when you work in retail (or other jobs) you have to understand it's not going to be a 9-5 job. it's just the nature of the trade unfortunately.

anyway, best of luck and let us know how it goes! it'll be interesting to see how they handle your Sunday opt out xx

They are trying to hire not fire and having been there 10 years and make them loads of money I know my job is safe but I will cross my t's and dot my I's.
    Whats more interesting is all my colleagues have said they will quit sundays also!
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I looked at all my deals last month and wednsdays were the busiest days for car sales. Since the Internet the weekends have died and they arnt any busier than weekdays

tbh, I bought a car last month without even stepping into the dealership. Deal was done on the phone and the car dropped off at my house.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    tbh, I bought a car last month without even stepping into the dealership. Deal was done on the phone and the car dropped off at my house.

Very common and we do personal videos of the car for people along way away. I feel I will be a better person spending time with my family and will benefit my mind at work. Its what the sunday rule is for right?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are trying to hire not fire and having been there 10 years and make them loads of money I know my job is safe but I will cross my t's and dot my I's.
    Whats more interesting is all my colleagues have said they will quit sundays also!

I've often wondered if that has ever happened as they all have a prefect right to do so. Please report back when it has happened.
  • pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    Very common and we do personal videos of the car for people along way away. I feel I will be a better person spending time with my family and will benefit my mind at work. Its what the sunday rule is for right?

Only problem is that you are also part of a team, I suppose. Everyone can't have the whole weekend off every week. That's why in retail most people have to work Saturday or Sunday or both. If everyone has said they want to drop the Sunday and some don't want to do Saturday either what do you expect to happen?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pie-eyed wrote: »
    Only problem is that you are also part of a team, I suppose. Everyone can't have the whole weekend off every week. That's why in retail most people have to work Saturday or Sunday or both. If everyone has said they want to drop the Sunday and some don't want to do Saturday either what do you expect to happen?

Ive asked to swap one saturday per month so any other colleague can do the same if they want(4 man team)? As for the Sunday its a completely different request!
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Choose to work, don't have to on a Sunday they can opt out. Just have to give there employer 3 months notice that they intend to opt out of working on Sundays. Though myself I have wondered what would happen to the Country if every person working in a shop decided they all wanted to opt out of Sunday working.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    If everyone has said they want to drop the Sunday and some don't want to do Saturday either what do you expect to happen?
    They could employ people who *only* work Sunday as the opt out is not available to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UOTE=gomezz;72905301]They could employ people who *only* work Sunday as the opt out is not available to them.[/QUOTE]

As a car salesman believe it or not you need to be accredited to sell finance and various products so they will have to find someone who will go through a lot for one day!!

Or pay more to exciting staff who want to work Sundays. Make big companies pay more!!

I am nervous about the conversation though!!
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or pay more to exciting staff who want to work Sundays. Make big companies pay more!!

Why should anyone be paid more for working a Sunday, than a Saturday or Thursday?

It's a day ending in a y. Nothing special.

I've already given you general advice, others in this thread have given their personal opinion. To add my personal opinion, I think it's incredibly selfish and unfair for someone to demand Sunday or the whole weekend off work because the rest of the people that work their have to cover those hours. I also find it unfair and selfish for people to play the family card too. You want the weekend off to spend with your family, so what, someone else might want weekends off to go ski diving or bungee jumping every weekend.

A fairer way, would be for everyone to rotate their shifts so that each person in the team get atleast on Saturday or Sunday, or whole weekend off a month.

If you don't want to work weekends, get a job that doesn't require weekend work.

As I said, just my opinion and I have already given general advice.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    Why should anyone be paid more for working a Sunday, than a Saturday or Thursday?

It's a day ending in a y. Nothing special.

I've already given you general advice, others in this thread have given their personal opinion. To add my personal opinion, I think it's incredibly selfish and unfair for someone to demand Sunday or the whole weekend off work because the rest of the people that work their have to cover those hours. I also find it unfair and selfish for people to play the family card too. You want the weekend off to spend with your family, so what, someone else might want weekends off to go ski diving or bungee jumping every weekend.

A fairer way, would be for everyone to rotate their shifts so that each person in the team get atleast on Saturday or Sunday, or whole weekend off a month.

If you want weekends off, get a job that doesn't require weekend work.

As I said, just my opinion and I have already given general advice.

Well they've got a job that doesn't require you to work on Sunday, just by basically opting out of Sunday work.
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Well they've got a job that doesn't require you to work on Sunday, just by basically opting out of Sunday work.

I've already had the Sunday trading and working debate with you recently and this isn't a thread that should go in that direction.

The job does require working at the weekend as where he works is open on the weeknds. As the OP is not the boss, he can't change the opening hours to Mon-Fri.

The opt out of Sunday trading law does not mean the job doesn't require working Sunday's, it just means people working in retail can opt out of working one specific day of the week.
    The job the OP has does require working on a Sunday because it's open on a Sunday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    As someone who works in the motor trade, the opting out of Sundays will not apply for two reasons. Firstly, if company is organised with their HR (and all the bigger ones certainly are), then the contract will stay Sunday working is required. Secondly, a motor dealership is not 'a shop'.

If you're really as highly thought of as you say, then they may be willing to come to some kind of compromise to try and help you out, but they don't have to do so. Personally I think you are taking the Michael with what you say you want to work, given the nature of the role. You may be better off looking at a role change to something like Fleet Sales, where the overwhelming majority of business done is Mon-Fri, and therefore weekends off can be justified.