Options

Jake is a ringer!

Comments

• Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to clarify with those who clearly appear to have more inside knowledge than me -

What exactly is Jake's past experience?
    Is it simply that he attended Anna Scher's school? Or is there more than that?

If the former, is there any evidence that this school puts much emphasis on dance training? I always thought it was a drama school rather than a stage school but my knowledge is limited to former alumni (mainly ex-Grange Hill or Eastenders).

I'm not too bothered - I'm simply a curious pedant who, before I can appreciate the validity of various points being made, would like to know what factual evidence people have for making them (and that's proven fact rather than James Jordan FACT!).
  • Options
    lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Philly1234 wrote: »
    If you're so bored with talk about ringers, don't come in the thread. It says ringer in the title.

I thought it meant he practices bell ringing.
  • Options
    Nigel_BourneNigel_Bourne Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    I went to stage school and taught for a year at one; and I had dance training. None of which facts would make me more able to dance at that level than, say, John Sargeant or Patrick Moore. All the training in the world can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Natural talent is enhanced by training. Lack of talent is never replaced by presence of talent due to "training".
  • Options
    fermynfermyn Posts: 2,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jake's salsa was one of those jaw-dropping Strictly moments, when you have to watch it again because you can't quite believe what you've just seen.

I suspect that when he (and Janette :D) saw he could move his hips, that gave him a huge boost in confidence. I just love the way he went for it 100% - he was fearless...as was she.

He seems a lovely guy, quiet and unassuming, which made his performance even more remarkable.
  • Options
    Fuchsia GroanFuchsia Groan Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with this post - attendance at stage school clearly doesn't turn every contestant into an Astaire or Rogers. This obsession with previous experience bores me rigid – I can see for myself who's really good in the first show and stays good or gets even better, and I can see who starts off rubbish and improves a lot over the course of the series. I can choose whether I want to vote for the best dancer, the most interesting choreography, the person I imagine to be the biggest "tryer" or the funniest/most entertaining effort without referring to their CV and trying to evaluate what life experiences may or may not have provided the contestant with an unfair advantage (frankly their allocated pro dancer, age, build, music choices and theming will do enough of that).

Thanks to James Jordan there is now no chance of Jake's past experience escaping notice – I put this down to his enduring bitterness about Denise van Outen. However, Jake's bald, gingery, wrong-side-of-forty gruffness will, I'm sure, help to balance out any advantages Anna Scher's might have endowed.

I'm not sure about that. I understand from various impeccable sources (teenagers) that Jake is seen as something as a sex symbol by female Eastenders' viewers of a certain age.

So there you are - think on that. ;-) :D
  • Options
    KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to stage school and taught for a year at one; and I had dance training. None of which facts would make me more able to dance at that level than, say, John Sargeant or Patrick Moore. All the training in the world can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Natural talent is enhanced by training. Lack of talent is never replaced by presence of talent due to "training".

Yep...and flair, presence, likeability, musicality and charisma cannot be taught/instilled either.
  • Options
    MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is funny how there was uproar on here about a certain Female Dancer last year having experience but some people seem to think it is ok this year.
  • Options
    The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure about that. I understand from various impeccable sources (teenagers) that Jake is seen as something as a sex symbol by female Eastenders' viewers of a certain age.

So there you are - think on that. ;-) :D

Really? Blimey, I stand corrected! :o
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    How is that on Dancing With the Stars in the US previous dance experience is celebrated, but in the UK it's like a dirty little secret?
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrJames wrote: »
    How is that on Dancing With the Stars in the US previous dance experience is celebrated, but in the UK it's like a dirty little secret?

Here it is celebrated when it concerns men but not women. Last year and the year before both Natalie and Denise got a lot of stick on these forums. I think it is good that Jake has experience and why not. My only problem with him is that I don't see what others see. He dances well but does nothing for me.
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody has answered my question. What, exactly, is the previous experience that Jake is supposed to have had?
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody has answered my question. What, exactly, is the previous experience that Jake is supposed to have had?

Good question!

I don't know if he has had it or not, though a few people have said he has had dance training.
  • Options
    luigy39luigy39 Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good question!

I don't know if he has had it or not, though a few people have said he has had dance training.

James, the ex-pro, the dancer-looser who was banned from BBC for his big mouth and self absorbed behavior. He planted the seed of envy and hate last night, and this was taken by some die hard fans as "fact", or may be that he has several accounts on this forum to talk about himself as well. I am surprised how a man as old as he is can be so prone to gossip and mediocrity.
  • Options
    MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    luigy39 wrote: »
    James, the ex-pro, the dancer-looser who was banned from BBC for his big mouth and self absorbed behavior. He planted the seed of envy and hate last night, and this was taken by some die hard fans as "fact", or may be that he has several accounts on this forum to talk about himself as well. I am surprised how a man as old as he is can be so prone to gossip and mediocrity.

Wow have you evidence to post such accusations on this forum about why he is no longer on the Show I will be interested to see them.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

WOW! Why not tell us what you really think? :o:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WOW! Why not tell us what you really think? :o:p

I would be banned :D Did I mention arrogant?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MACTOWIN wrote: »
    Wow have you evidence to post such accusations on this forum about why he is no longer on the Show I will be interested to see them.

Sorry, you don't have the slightest chance. :p
  • Options
    Liza with a ZeeLiza with a Zee Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You've obviously not seen CBB then. That's all he's about. He claimed he was the Brad Pitt of the dancing world :D:D
  • Options
    hunniebunhunniebun Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Wright is ex stage school too - Sylvia Young - although don't think his performances so far show that he has had dance training !
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be banned :D Did I mention arrogant?

Not that I can see! :p
  • Options
    soexcitedsoexcited Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    I fail to see how dance 'training' is all that relevant. Yes they may some advantage in rhythmical movement, lines etc but so what. Actors and models understand performance, sportsmen are fitter or competitive, older participants have the sympathy vote. If we exclude everyone who has ever had dance experience, performance,pop stars or stage school training we will be stuck with a show full of scott mills or julien macdonalds. Not for me thanks. So what if jake has danced before, i thought his tricks were amazing and he has natural rhythm. The dance content was actually the least of his performance on Saturday. My favs have been those without any former training cos of the j word. It makes for a variety show which is what it is all about me.
  • Options
    DalwhatDalwhat Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    When I was in secondary school I was made to learn the stock dances....waltz, quickstep, foxtrot etc etc. Today I may as well not have bothered for all I can remember about them. Also, bear in mind that the type of dancing you are taught at "stage school" will in no way represent the sort of stuff you're required to do on the show. Unless you're dancing regularly I don't think you have any real advantage over a complete beginner who has an aptitude for it. Let's be honest in every series there is only ever a group of about six dancers who have the remotest chance of winning the glitterball. Last year was won by a complete novice who was supposedly up against a "dancer". You can have the basic skills but unless you have the heart and soul to put into the dances you won't win over the public.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
    Forum Member
    Ringer or not I cannot warm to him and find him facially hard to watch. I don't watch EE so have no preconceptions of his character, I just found that his facial expressions did not match the exuberance of the dance ( a lot of puffing and blowing).
    If he is is ringer he won't win as the GBP tend to go for the underdog rather than the accomplished from the start.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    Ringer or not I cannot warm to him and find him facially hard to watch. I don't watch EE so have no preconceptions of his character, I just found that his facial expressions did not match the exuberance of the dance ( a lot of puffing and blowing).
    If he is is ringer he won't win as the GBP tend to go for the underdog rather than the accomplished from the start.

It was quite an athletic performance, no wonder he forgot to put on a phony smile to go with it :p
  • Options
    Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    Osusana wrote: »

Cannot believe some of the casual fans on the FB page obviously thinking he should've had a 10, they think their the experts and can manipulate the judges how they want em to be like. :(