Options

Ex-ITV News Reporter Quits BBC After Five Months

ftvftv Posts: 31,668
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Penny Marshall, a senior ITV News reporter who quit for the BBC five months ago,is returning to ITV after complaining about the male-dominated newsroom. She was one of several ITV staff who created controversy by being appointed without going through the BBC's usual ''board'' or interview system.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/nov/05/penny-marshall-itv-bbc

Come to think of it we haven't heard much from Lucy Manning either.

Comments

• Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Come to think of it we haven't heard much from Lucy Manning either.

I've seen several reports from her on BBC News the last few weeks
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    If I quit a new job and said it was dominated by women, 'created largely by women, largely for women', I would be called a sexist.

Not every area of the working world is 50/50 male/female.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I've seen a single report from Penny Marshall in the five months she's been at the BBC (but then I don't watch every news programme). You only have to look behind the newsreaders and there are plenty of women working in BBC newsrooms as well as female executives.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I've seen a single report from Penny Marshall in the five months she's been at the BBC (but then I don't watch every news programme).

But as the article you linked to explains, she's been undergoing cancer treatment
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I've seen a single report from Penny Marshall in the five months she's been at the BBC (but then I don't watch every news programme).

If you read the article that you linked to, you'll know why: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/nov/05/penny-marshall-itv-bbc

"She has been having treatment for cancer."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    If you read the article that you linked to, you'll know why: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/nov/05/penny-marshall-itv-bbc

"She has been having treatment for cancer."

I realise that but my attention was drawn to her remarks about male newsrooms. Perhaps that doesn't apply in ITV.Sounds like it was a career move she now regrets.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I realise that but my attention was drawn to her remarks about male newsrooms. Perhaps that doesn't apply in ITV.Sounds like it was a career move she now regrets.

If she only discovered that she had the medical condition after the move then she might prefer to be back amongst people she has been working with for years.
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There might be another reason for her decision. I know from my own experience of freelancing for the BBC that there is a complex, overmanaged working environment there. You often never really know who you answer to, and nobody ever says 'this is what we're going to do'.

Things are far simpler at ITN, where you know who your editor is, and you're given clear direction. She hints in the article that she prefers this sort of working environment. Having spent time at both organisations, I can understand the appeal of ITN. Peter Sissons made similar comments in his autobiography. I got the impression that he was far happier at ITN.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    There might be another reason for her decision. I know from my own experience of freelancing for the BBC that there is a complex, overmanaged working environment there. You often never really know who you answer to, and nobody ever says 'this is what we're going to do'.

Things are far simpler at ITN, where you know who your editor is, and you're given clear direction. She hints in the article that she prefers this sort of working environment. Having spent time at both organisations, I can understand the appeal of ITN. Peter Sissons made similar comments in his autobiography. I got the impression that he was far happier at ITN.

So why move to the BBC ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why move to the BBC ?

My guess is she had a brief taster of what life was like at the BBC either before or during her period of illness and decided it wasn't for her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My guess is she had a brief taster of what life was like at the BBC either before or during her period of illness and decided it wasn't for her.

From her remarks in The Guardian it sounds as if she simply preferred the people she worked with at ITV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From her remarks in The Guardian it sounds as if she simply preferred the people she worked with at ITV.

I've done installation work at ITN, it's a nice, well run, friendly, and 'tight ship'.

I can well understand that compared with the Beeb, people feel more comfortable there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She had been with ITN for years, sometimes the grass isn't always greener and she has realised her mistake. Also illness changes a persons view on life, she clearly wants to be back amongst friends.
  • Options
    zak_gzak_g Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Someone I know worked at the BBC for 5 months and is now back at ITV, cuts, they can just drop you like that, so a good choice here!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was basing my comments on reading between the lines of her remarks a little, and including my own experiences of both organisations as well as that of others.

Let me be frank, I'd rather work for ITN than the BBC if I was still working in news too!
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,007
    Forum Member
    I was basing my comments on reading between the lines of her remarks a little, and including my own experiences of both organisations as well as that of others.

Let me be frank, I'd rather work for ITN than the BBC if I was still working in news too!

Let's be frank she'd rather be a big fish in a small pond. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Let's be frank she'd rather be a big fish in a small pond. :)

Jon Snow, who I'm not a fan of, used those exact words about himself recently!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I notice it says the move was health related which is what I suspected.