Series 9 : Speculations, ideas & improvements for the 2015 series

Comments

• joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No girl who waited... Last centurion... Impossible girl... The older woman who is the daughter of the younger one.... Spoilers!!!!! 😤. Just a normal person because my opinion is that Moffat has tried to turn previous characters into something special and failed. It's just cringy.
  • jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hoipe we get more Nods to the Past in the form of Kandyman, The Monk, The RANI even!

F***K What moff said about "the nu who audiance wont know who they are" hell i didnt even know who Davros really was untill he appeared in the stolen Earth! so Get a grip Moff and bring back the classic villians! how on earth are the new who viewers meant to know about them unless you bring them back!
  • Bob_1971Bob_1971 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    If you were 'The Moff' creating Series 9 how would you make the next series better than the recent Series 8 ?

Resign and let someone else have a go? ;-)
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Bob_1971 wrote: »
    Resign and let someone else have a go? ;-)

With two months to go until they enter production? The Beeb would love that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    I find it a bit strange that's it been fifty years and we still haven't had an episode set on Sontar!

I know it's in the latest computer game, but I want to see it on screen!
  • LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exhausting ? :-) Perhaps I should have been more specific. I'm aware of the new information about the Doctor's life. I meant - screen time.
    As Stephen Moffat has said, The companion,, Clara, has been the focus this season.

I wasn't really speaking to you directly. It's nice that you get it. But it is knackering seeing the same old tired complaint on here over and over. Regardless of what you think, it's hard to deny that some people need to change the record.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    If this is Moffat's final series (as rumoured), then a Christmas special with the return of both the Master/Missy and Gallifrey as well would be a good swansong for him.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    If this is Moffat's final series (as rumoured), then a Christmas special with the return of both the Master/Missy and Gallifrey as well would be a good swansong for him.

I think Missy taking her Gallifrey ruse one step further would be good to see. Luring The Doctor to some fake version. It would appease those who want to see Gallifrey found, to some extent, and those who want the journey to continue in to the far future. Would be a visual treat of an episode, too - if the budget stretched far enough :p
  • stocklenstocklen Posts: 4,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emby2 wrote: »
    I find it a bit strange that's it been fifty years and we still haven't had an episode set on Sontar!

I know it's in the latest computer game, but I want to see it on screen!

Well you can almost guarantee that apart form a couple of CGI exterior shots.... it would be mostly set inside a 'sontaran cloning facility' whereby it bears an uncanny resemblance to the inside of an earth factory :-)

It makes me chuckle to see the interiors of alien planets or far future earth installations and see electric cabling, junction boxes, fuse boxes, cabling trays, isolation switches etc straight from the shelves of B&Q.

.. check out the interiors for the bank of karabraxos and also what we are supposed to believe is the inside of a Dalek for the latest culprits there :-)

... and yes I know its a budgetary constraint - my point is that obvious factories filled with recognisable contemporary earth technology don't make for realistic alien facilities!
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    If I was Moff, what would I do about Series 9?

The Doctor
    Continue to mellow The Doctor just a little bit. I felt that whilst I had problems with some elements of Moffat's writing as usual in Series 8, his downfalls were actually a lot less intrusive and a lot more forgivable because he had delivered some brilliant lead character work. Capaldi is a real treat of a Doctor, and I think playing a long game with his personality is going to work wonders (I envision at least four full series with him!) - essentially what was planned for Colin Baker's Doctor, but put into action. We've already seen him become a whole lot warmer as the series has gone on, and I love his fierce loyalty to his closest friends, Clara in particular. The confrontation in Kill the Moon showed how he was capable of being that 'lonely man in a box' and that right or wrong, he cared an awful lot for Clara and lamented her exit. This was then all over his face by Death in Heaven, where he is visibly and undeniably crushed at the prospect of losing her. "Never trust a hug, it's just a way to hide your face". More of this in the Doctor...a strange and alien man that the companion sometimes gets scared of and doesn't quite understand, but a man who is always there when it matters.

The Companions
    This one will prove divisive, but I think they've got a good thing going with Clara, and feel there is more mileage in the character yet. Why? Well partly because Jenna Coleman is an absolutely brilliant and delightful on-screen presence who I have loved more than any companion before (except Donna, and even then it's close!), but also because she's had a fair bit of her own story told. A common criticism is that the companion is always made to be too integral or wrapped up in a story arc, or that they're given too much focus in the story - the biggest criticisms aimed at Clara in Series 7 and Series 8 respectively. Many people are after a decent character who happens to be travelling around in time and space with The Doctor, for the sheer thrill and adventure of it all. I think Clara could give us that in Series 9 - keep her, and restore a sense of adventure in her life. Don't wrap her life up in relationships, don't make her an impossible girl - by all means give her a life back home to frequently go back to (I've actually accepted the hop-on-hop-off aspect of her character now), maybe bring her Gran on board as a semi-regular presence akin to Jackie or Wilf. Keep her there, make her happy again, show her the adventures and wonders of the universe and then give her a similarly low-key send off on a much higher, more optimistic and more honest note than Series 8. Make her exit the first to be a happy one somehow - not tragic, not sad, not even bittersweet like Martha's.

Outside of Clara I'd also potentially introduce a second companion, a male, and not a potential love interest. Just another friend, maybe someone who travels with the Doctor more permanently, staggering the eventual exit of Clara. We've already got an older male lead, and I don't want another Mickey-Rory-Danny clone. As a suggestion, Sam Strike from Eastenders has just left his role in that and is quite a decent actor from the few things I've seen him in (oddly, only in Eastenders once, as I don't watch the show) and I wouldn't object to having a younger male in the TARDIS...it'd be different for NuWho and could work so long as he wasn't written to be annoying or obnoxious...more a character in awe of the Doctor perhaps, someone who aspires to be more like him almost and struggles to have the bravery or confidence that the more experienced Doctor and Clara have - almost like a liability to them, but endearing enough to make them want him to stay around. Potential for a non-contemporary companion as well, perhaps?

Episodes and Structure
    Presumably 12 again, though maybe 13. Either way I'd again ensure a two-part finale...maybe a feature length second part akin to Journey's End if it happens to be Moffat's swansong. I'm surprised how well the standalone stories worked in Series 8, considering how poorly it was implemented in Series 7. I do wonder though if that's because of how Earth-based Series 8 actually was. I don't feel the ninth series should be quite as Earth-based and so perhaps an additional two-parter around the middle of the series would be a good idea. It's a showcase opportunity for another writer to deliver a longer story and helps craft the identity of a series, rather than making it feel like a run of 'specials'.

Writers
    Well Moffat will contribute his usual 4 or so scripts. The two-part finale is a given, the opener is pretty much as well...I'd give him the same as Series 8 again...episodes 1, 4, 11 and 12. It's a tidy formula, especially if the fourth episodes is followed by someone else's two-parter in the middle of the series. For Moffat it's the chance to write something a bit different as well, not so tied down in the wider arc of the series.

Outside of that there should be a balance of returning and new writers. With such a back log of favourites now it's becoming a bit hard to fit everyone in, and so a fair few writers could have to alternate each year. As such I'd save Gareth Roberts for Series 10 potentially - although his two most recent episodes have been his weakest, and so I wonder how much I'd miss him now.
    For Series 9 though there's the four by Moffat, an inevitable and even slightly confirmed one by Gatiss. After that I'd suggest an episode by Russell T Davies if they can get him - to mark the 10th year since the comeback. That two-parter I've proposed could be done by Toby Whithouse...I'd love to see him apply himself to a bigger story. Jamie Mathieson is a likely candidate, and then I'd fill the rest of the spaces with new people - I'd like to see Catherine Tregenna contribute a script in particular.

Concepts
    Less Earth-bound stories again... Series 4 struck the best balance between Earth and not-Earth I feel. Series 6 had a nice balance as well. Aim for something a bit more along those lines.

The show has had a darker turn with Series 8. I'd keep that for the sake of the plot, but as for the identity of Series 9 I'd maybe aim for something a little more upbeat and hopeful...a bit more of a sense of wonder. A lot of Series 8 felt like they were in the places they were because of a problem in particular - in fact much of the series was like that. One of the reasons I feel Mummy on the Orient Express was so well received is because it was written to be a real adventure (as was Robot of Sherwood, though that was a little forced with Clara suddenly deciding Hood was someone she'd always had an interest in)...something wonderful and enjoyable. The monsters and the threats were just the bits in between. Many other stories involved travelling out of a sake of need, rather than interest.

Returning Characters
    This is a tough one, because the show should be looking forward more than backward. But right now all the factors seem in place for a large number of characters to make a comeback appearance.

Missy is at the top of many peoples wishlists, though personally I'd save her for another year or two - The Master isn't one for small single-part stories but it's be disproportionate and repetitive to give the villain two finales in a row, especially when the Daleks have become flawed and criticised for just the same. Comebacks work best when there's been time to cool off in between.

If it's Moffat's swansong I'd feature both River Song and Jack Harkness in the finale... characters capable of returning and also conforming to Moffat's timey-wimey desires. I'd have the two appear together in the finale...with The Doctor and Clara, and maybe an out-of-time Paternoster Gang for a bit a mass assemblage of the universes finest time-travellers, working together to take down a formidable enemy.

In the event that a Doctor-lite episode is needed, I still concur that this would be the prime way to bring back Paul McGann for an episode. Give the Twelfth Doctor a day off that he doesn't want to take, allow Eight and a companion to lead a story with Twelve and Clara interjecting at various points as well. Maybe this idea is best left until Series 10 if the above option of River and Jack happens - just so it isn't overkill on returnees. A McGann option can work effectively and fittingly under any show-runner, whereas River was created by Moffat and Jack was first written for by Moffat.

As a final suggestion, I'd bring back a former companion and give Capaldi a 'School Reunion' style story. I'd love to see Jo Grant back in the series but I guess her return was already covered by SJA. Still there's a pool of others that would fit the bill...maybe even Susan if they were particularly ambitious. Again, maybe best to wait on this one if any of the above options happen, but such a story of sentiment would be more than welcome in Capaldi's series.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Genuinely, I'd change very little. I think series 8 was a sparkling return to form. In fact, it's probably my favourite series since series 1 way back in 2005. The dynamic between the Doctor and Clara (and also Danny at points) was as nuanced and complex as Who has got, and the chemistry between the two leads palpable. Unlike most fans, I think the decision to place a greater emphasis on Clara was the right one. It's absolutely true that Doctor Who is always the companion's story, and that doesn't make the Doctor himself any less compelling a figure. In fact I'd argue the opposite.

Anyway, for series 9, all I'd say is a new companion, I think Clara's time is quite naturally coming to an end and it'd be fascinating to see Capaldi with someone else. I'd get rid of the doctor's white shirt/waistcoat combo; it does make him look a bit like a magician, the hole-y black jumper is a better look all round. And I wouldn't invite Steve Thompson or (to a lesser extent) Mark Gatiss to contribute another script; their writing for Who is consistently derivative and uninspired.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, so this would be my wishlist: :)

-Firstly, NO MORE GENDER CHANGES!!!!!!!

-13 episodes (or more :P )

-Both single parters and two parters can be good or bad, so I don't mind any structure as long as stories are good

-I'd like to see some RTD companions back, but now it is probably too late for that. Especially if there won't be 10th anniversary special of New Who

-I like Clara but season and a half are enough for one companion. So, it would be nice to have some new companion (maybe from the past or future), but just because Clara is no more on TARDIS, it doesn't mean that she should disappear from the show. Remember Rose, she left the TARDIS in Doomsday, but she stayed in the show until The End of the Time. I like this concept. Ideally, traveling on TARDIS should be just an introduction to character.

-Paternoster Gang should deffinitely stay. Spin-off would also be very nice.

-Feudal Japan story (one of my biggest wishes)

-Some very bizarre dreamy story (like Listen). Maybe even sth Alice-style

-More historical characters. It would be interesting to see WA Mozart in DW

-I agree with others about alien planets. Series 8 was very good, but 11/12 stories set on Earth is a little bit too much. The ideal concept would be:
    2-3 stories set on present day Earth
    5-6 on past or future Earth
    4-5 on alien planets

-No more romances

-As for writers, I'd like to see Steven Moffat, Jamie Mathieson, Neil Cross, Paul Cornell, Toby Whithouse, Frank Cottrell Boyce (Forest wasn't very popular but he is a great writter and I am sure he can write much better story, altough I think that even Forest wasn't THAT bad. It wasn't great, but not as bad as many people say) and J. K. Rowling (I'd REALLY like to see her story)
  • FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll speculate that during Series 9 The Master will return, at least one new full-time (slightly older) companion will be introduced and Steven Moffat will resign.

I highly doubt we'll get an older companion. With an older Doctor, they need to keep the companion young for younger viewers.when Clara leaves, they'll replace her with the usual twenty-something female but I'm guessing we'll also get a young attractive male companion to become the eye candy action here, plugging the gap filled by the Doctor being older (just like Ian Chesterton did in the original series)

Psy from the bank robbing episode would fill that role perfectly IMO, and I'd definitely bring him in permanently alongside a new human female companion if I was in Moffat's shoes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Here are few suggestions of mine.
    1. When they bought back Star Trek TNG in the 80’s they had an open forum to witers in that anyone could offer a script/story, absolutely anyone. The obvious problems were that too many stories were written by people who wanted themselves to be the hero of the episode and these were hastily ignored. Those received that were constructed well were workd upon by staff writers to keep the story & charactersiation in the theme of the programme. Why not offer an open forum on Doctor Who? There will be an awful lot of dross received but there will be more than enough brilliant and new ideas to make a coherrant series.
    2. If you are only going to use nominated writers as they do at present then the programme needs new ideas and new enemies. Make a whole series that does not have one single existing foe in it. Force the writers & programme to to be original and not fall back on old regurgetated enemies & themes.
    3. I agree here with lots of others; more off-world stories and stories that span at least 2 episodes. You can make something seem other-worldy without blowing the budget. Be resourceful and creative. They are supposed to be stores set in time & space, use that format!
    4. I have no problems with the companions (except Martha – something just did not work there for me). The companion is supposed to be our way into the episode and they seem to be doing a good job so far. But although as some have said we have learnt a great deal these past few series about the Doctor, the emphesis has been on the companion having a lot of screen time to I.M.O. the detriement of the Doctor. I think this needs rebalancing in the Doctor’s favour, but not drastically so. On that note I think that Ingrid Oliver (Osgood) will be the next companion. I think there were heavy clues in Death in Heaven to suggest she will be.
    5. Oh – and loose that awful opening music (not overkeen on the titles either). A re-working more akin to the original Grainer/Derbyshire score would be better.
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's what I'd like to see.

The Doctor: Much like above, I'd like to see Twelve mellow further and become a nicer person. I don't want Capaldi to leave for a good long while. However, I hope the whole ''where did this face come from?'' mystery is addressed. Normally the fact that Peter Capaldi had been in the show before wouldn't bother me (it didn't for Colin Baker) but since they actually decided to mention it in ''Deep Breath'' it deserves addressing.

Companions: Not fussed really. I like Clara and could see the positives of her both leaving and staying on.

Returning characters: I'd like to see the Paternoster Gang and maybe Kate Stewart return. As mentioned in another thread, I'd like to see a Sontaran story featuring the Paternoster Gang, giving Strax a day in the limelight. I'd love to see River back and maybe Jack too.

Other stuff: I'd like to see Moffat depart after this season. Not out of any dislike for the man, but because I think we need some new blood.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make it even darker. Seriously. I don't want Moffat to go quietly. I want him to go full Ten finale mode. Go way too far and stick two fingers up at the morons who have whinged for so many years. Slightly destructive? Yes maybe. And maybe I jest. Maybe. But we wont see the likes of Moffat or RTD or Gatiss again. Time will come it will be turned into insipid light entertainment drivel. I was going to say that then people will be sorry but based on some of the bizarre hatred for the beautiful Death In Heaven I fear quite a great many pudding brains watch Doctor Who. While they wait for Waterloo Road and Atlantis. Bless.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please gawd not The End of Time mode, Salad...that wasn't dark, it was just pretty darn bad.

In my humble puddingy opinion, anyway.

Edit: Waters of Mars, maybe. ;-)
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please gawd not The End of Time mode, Salad...that wasn't dark, it was just pretty darn bad.

In my humble puddingy opinion, anyway.

Edit: Waters of Mars, maybe. ;-)

Oh no I don't mean as a whole. I mean that scene after the Four Knocks. I want Moffat spitting and shouting and sweeping shit off tables screaming 'I WILL do so much more' and basically turning DW intoa dark and nasty and brilliant show . He dreams of this. I'm sure of it.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speculations, ideas, improvements:D

So The Doctor has shifted, lost, he questions stuff because he really doesn't know who he is anymore, the companions help him, understand where he is going . Snap out of it Doctor, clap clap, Doctor loves music, listen Doctor.

Missy was a distraction, though you thought something more, sadly just for effect, true.

Rocky shores.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly, I would not like them to alter anything ...Series 8 for me was the greatest line up of episodes the show has ever had....so personally I would adore the same format and themes explored.

A darkness, scariness across the series....the longer time allocated to character development. And the story arc being subtle hints across until a dramatic two parter finale!

Plus if series 9 is as rumoured Moffs final series in charge...then he can make it work and really branch Missys storyline out with a dramatic finale....and a suitably Moffat Christmas Special to round off the series fully.

And of course Capaldi staying on for the new showrunner and beyond!

That is what I would love...plus new monsters as a focus theme across the series again...I loved that only 3 episodes had returning iconic foes (one Dalek...and Cybermen/Master finale!) Though would adore Capaldi face the Weeping Angels and would love him face Davros (maybe in the two part finale? bring back Missy, Daleks AND Davros team up with the Master as he gets closer to gallifrey?) we shall see!

I also would adore Clara remaining on for a full series...to tie it all together (Orson Pink in the future etc) and during series 9 have an alien Male companion not romantically involved with Clara....and no friction with the Doctor...who will aid him and remain on board :-)

ANd of course the Paternoster Trio and UNIT!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    A new Ice Warriors story, possibly a two parter where they return in force ala Seeds of Death, would be nice. Preferably in place of the Daleks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Actually just thought of something else. I would like a story based around Doc 8. Why can't we have Doctor lite stories about previous Doctor adventures. Imagine Doc 12 starting the episode telling companion X about 'whe I met the.....' and Doc 8 continues the story for us in flashback. Would be a great way to get more McGann on screen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gravey08 wrote: »
    Actually just thought of something else. I would like a story based around Doc 8. Why can't we have Doctor lite stories about previous Doctor adventures. Imagine Doc 12 starting the episode telling companion X about 'whe I met the.....' and Doc 8 continues the story for us in flashback. Would be a great way to get more McGann on screen.

This is excellent idea! I'd really like such flashback story. Although, it doesn't have to be McGann. It would be nice to see any older Doctor.
  • prof_traversprof_travers Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    Here's what I'd like to see.

The Doctor: Much like above, I'd like to see Twelve mellow further and become a nicer person. I don't want Capaldi to leave for a good long while. However, I hope the whole ''where did this face come from?'' mystery is addressed. Normally the fact that Peter Capaldi had been in the show before wouldn't bother me (it didn't for Colin Baker) but since they actually decided to mention it in ''Deep Breath'' it deserves addressing.
    Yes, further Mellowing please. He hasn't really "become" the Doctor for me, although he came close in "Time Heist" and again in the "idiot with a screwdriver and a box, helping out where I can" speech in Death in Heaven.
    Companions: Not fussed really. I like Clara and could see the positives of her both leaving and staying on.
    I'll be sad when she goes, but there's probably not much more that can be done with the character.
    Returning characters: I'd like to see the Paternoster Gang and maybe Kate Stewart return. As mentioned in another thread, I'd like to see a Sontaran story featuring the Paternoster Gang, giving Strax a day in the limelight.
    That could have been me :D. A Sontaran invasion of Victorian London, Sontarans capturing and "rehabilitating" Strax, a secret collaboration between Sontarans and the Daleks (cliffhanger there) and eventually being saved by Strax sacrificing himself.

Other stories; one with a little more character development on the people he visits. Perhaps a "Base under threat with a Traitor in their midst" story. That would need to be a two parter.

Another one set in Future Earth during the breakdown of a peaceful period of Silurian/Human cohabitation on Earth.

Perhaps a story with the Autons as the main threat - could be a way to include Kate Stewart.

A story set in 1920's where a young Winston Churchill is so infactuated by Clara that he gives up public life, thus altering history. Its really just an excuse to get Jenna Coleman back in that dress:blush::o:D

Thats three returning "classic" villains (or 4 if you count the Dalek cameo) so new monsters for rest, please :D
    Other stuff: I'd like to see Moffat depart after this season. Not out of any dislike for the man, but because I think we need some new blood.
    I've enjoyed Moffat's tenure, but some ideas do seem to be coming round again (particularly conspicuous in "Into the Dalek") As Tom Tit frequently says, how much of a good idea this is really depends on who they find to replace him...
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brian Minchin was asked on Points of View (by a family. not me) why the start times were so late for a family watching the show together, he told them basically to watch iPlayer.

Huh? I thought the whole point was to watch the show collectively as a family, not to fob them off with an offensive exchange like that. Next year, the BBC should show the series at an earlier time, preferably around the 7:00pm mark to include the younger members of the audience who would be too knackered to get to the start, never mind the end.