Anyone not give MS a chance?

OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
Forum Member
✭✭
C'mon own up. Who didn't/hasn't even bothered giving Matt Smith a chance?

Was talking to my Auntie earlier and she said after DT left she didn't bother watching it. Got me thinking, who here stopped watching because DT left?

Poor Matt Smith...I really like him :D

Comments

• Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Posts: 10,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C'mon own up. Who didn't/hasn't even bothered giving Matt Smith a chance?

Was talking to my Auntie earlier and she said after DT left she didn't bother watching it. Got me thinking, who here stopped watching because DT left?

Poor Matt Smith...I really like him :D

Much as I loved DT's Doctor, and it was him that introduced me to Doctor Who and all it's delights, I would never stop watching the show just because my favourite actor left.

And a good job too, Matt Smith is just delightful in the role and the best thing about the new series in my opinion.:D
  • Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very almost didn't :o. So glad I kept watching :D
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After almost 30 years, Matt Smith took over from Peter D as my favorite Doctor this year.

Mind, as I said before, I took a shine to him from the moment I saw his hands in the Confidential where his casting was announced....

Don't think there is any need for the OP to feel sorry for him, he has proved very popular in the role, especially within fandom (On GB a large poll recently saw him voted the best new series Doctor by quite a wide margin.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Just like the old days really. Loads of casual viewers leave after their favourite Doctor goes. I remember being a kid and loads of people stopping watching the show when Tom Baker left, and I've read similar stories about Pertwee, Davidson etc, etc.

If you love the show then you keep watching, but many passers by who were alerted to Who via DT will inevitably not see the appeal once their favourite has gone. I just hate to think of people missing out on Matt's genius performance as Doctor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kal_El wrote: »
    Just like the old days really. Loads of casual viewers leave after their favourite Doctor goes. I remember being a kid and loads of people stopping watching the show when Tom Baker left, and I've read similar stories about Pertwee, Davidson etc, etc.

If you love the show then you keep watching, but many passers by who were alerted to Who via DT will inevitably not see the appeal once their favourite has gone. I just hate to think of people missing out on Matt's genius performance as Doctor.

All that really happens is that a few people leave, but there will be others that take their place. I doubt that that many people really watched it purely because of DT, after all his recent non-DW series didn't rate anything like as well as DW did. Thats not a slight, btw, just making the point that I think people tend to overstate how much of the shows success was purely down to DT, after all CE was the one who launched the show and made it a success......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is also the possibility of people stopping watching when they found they didn't like Tennant, who came back when he left...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    All that really happens is that a few people leave, but there will be others that take their place. I doubt that that many people really watched it purely because of DT, after all his recent non-DW series didn't rate anything like as well as DW did. Thats not a slight, btw, just making the point that I think people tend to overstate how much of the shows success was purely down to DT, after all CE was the one who launched the show and made it a success......

'Course. I totally agree with you. :) I just meant that casual viewers tend to be the ones who can't imagine a different actor in the same-but-different role, so they leave when a new one comes along sometimes.
    There is also the possibility of people stopping watching when they found they didn't like Tennant, who came back when he left...

Yup, there's this too no doubt. It's easy to overstate either point of view, especially on the forums. :D
  • Nikki E.Nikki E. Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After almost 30 years, Matt Smith took over from Peter D as my favorite Doctor this year.

Mind, as I said before, I took a shine to him from the moment I saw his hands in the Confidential where his casting was announced....

Don't think there is any need for the OP to feel sorry for him, he has proved very popular in the role, especially within fandom (On GB a large poll recently saw him voted the best new series Doctor by quite a wide margin.)

What was it about his hands that you liked so much?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nikki E. wrote: »
    What was it about his hands that you liked so much?

they seemed so......Doctorish and expressive, and they sort of almost seem to have a life of their own....:D
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surely nobody would still be a member of a fans forum like this but actually no longer follow the show itself? That would be a paradox ...
  • weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    will always love MY Doctor....(Ten ;) ) but couldn't bear to not give Matt Smith a chance....

glad I did, 'cos I *loves* him :) he will never replace Ten in my affections - Ten and & I have that "special" relationship ;):o but MS is a just as good at being The Doctor in his own Doctorish way...

three days to goooooooooooooooooo!! :D:D:D
  • Nikki E.Nikki E. Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they seemed so......Doctorish and expressive, and they sort of almost seem to have a life of their own....:D

I see what you mean. :)
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My opinion is totally the opposite from the OP: I got bored with Dr10 in his last year, and was more than ready for his replacement. I was well and truly fed up with him. Matt Smith has refreshed the series totally. Actually, it's Matt Smith and Steven Moffatt: the series has a new lease of life and a whoosh of fresh air through it.

I agree with Muttley: as soon as I saw MS interviewed on Confidential, I KNEW he would be the Doctor to a tee.
  • weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    My opinion is totally the opposite from the OP: I got bored with Dr10 in his last year, and was more than ready for his replacement. I was well and truly fed up with him. Matt Smith has refreshed the series totally. Actually, it's Matt Smith and Steven Moffatt: the series has a new lease of life and a whoosh of fresh air through it.

I agree with Muttley: as soon as I saw MS interviewed on Confidential, I KNEW he would be the Doctor to a tee.

Fezzes are :cool: :D
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    after all CE was the one who launched the show and made it a success......
    I think that was William Hartnell, in fact.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that was William Hartnell, in fact.:)

sorry that should have said "relaunched the show."
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who stopped watching when DT left, and have missed the delights of seeing Matt, may watch the Christmas Special, (because they always watch it and anyway there's nothing else on), realise what they have missed and start watching again.

I find it difficult to see how anyone could resist the charms of Matt's Doctor once they have actually seen him. (Or Rory :))
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My niece was a typical example of those that wouldn't watch it anymore because DT had left. She thought MS was a right minger!:D

Me personally it was always a case of watch first and judge afterwards, unlike many who moaned and groaned about his casting without seeing him in the role first. I'm glad he's overcome the Tennant factor and I think his Doctor is miles better than Tennant's and he's right up there as one of my favourite Doctor's. :)

Despite my misgivings about Series 5, he was the best thing about it and in The Lodger he gave his funniest performance of the entire 13 episodes. :)
  • UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got talking to someone I work with today about Dr Who and I was saying how this is the first series I've watched and he went on about how Matt Smith is rubbish as the doctor and I would completely change my mind if I had seen any other doctor but him. He went on about how he overplays the role and how the stories are just too comical now compared to when it was 10. He said his favourite "monster" was the weeping angels, so I said he must have at least enjoyed "The Time of Angels" and "Flesh and Stone" because it had the weeping angels and he said "Oh I didn't see them, not watched anything in series 5 at all" :confused: Guess that means I know somebody who didn't even give Matt Smith a chance :D
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The TV programme called Doctor Who is far bigger than any of the actors who have played the lead role, and anyone who refuses to watch Matt Smith simply because he isn't David Tennant is not a real Doctor Who fan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    As much as I love Tennant, Matt Smith has become my favourite Doctor. I was a bit sceptical when I first saw him (when he was revealed), but once I actually saw him in the programme I thought "Yes, he IS the Doctor!". I wouldn't want to go back to DT, he had some great episodes, but I got irritated with the Rose and Martha dynamics.....In a way, I actually prefer Christopher Eccleston to Tennant...

Anyway back OT, I'm glad I gave MS a chance as he plays the Doctor how I think he should be. He has shown the Doctor as being a complex character and has balanced the light and dark sides very well. I am looking forward to seeing how MS develops and where he goes with his Doctor :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The TV programme called Doctor Who is far bigger than any of the actors who have played the lead role, and anyone who refuses to watch Matt Smith simply because he isn't David Tennant is not a real Doctor Who fan.

You're so right! There are a lot of fickle fly by night 'fans' out there, it seems. They don't know what they're missing, poor fools.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaargh - wrong thread
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wyle wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to go back to DT, he had some great episodes, but I got irritated with the Rose and Martha dynamics.....In a way, I actually prefer Christopher Eccleston to Tennant...

Same here.

I think it's so weird to hear people say DT was the best Doctor ever. I don't even think he's the best Doctor this century. That's personal taste, I spose ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same here.

I think it's so weird to hear people say DT was the best Doctor ever. I don't even think he's the best Doctor this century. That's personal taste, I spose ...

I don't think he's even the third best Doctor this century. I'd say that was Eccleston, just after Matt Smith and Richard E Grant.