Filterless cigarettes in the UK?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Some research for a visitor from abroad, wondering if these are available anywhere.

eg:
player's navy cut plain
lucky strike
camel

Had a look at mysupermarket, the few 'plain' brands they have (I'm assuming plain means no filter) seem to be out of stock.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My grandad smoked Woodbines all his life, they were unfiltered IIRC.

I don't smoke myself so unfortunately to answer your question I have no idea if they still sell them. I doubt it very much, I've certainly never seen anyone with any!
  • skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morrissons sell Navy Cut and Woodbines IIRC.

Or, just buy some Camels or Luckies and pull the filter off.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno about the others but you can get Senior Service in most supermarkets. Haven't smoked them for years mind so they may have stuck a filter on I suppose
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely you can just buy any filtered cigarette and break off the filter.

Hey presto - an unfiltered cigarette.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Players Navy Cut, Players No 3, Capstan, Capstan Full Strength, Players Weights, Woodbine, Park Drive, Craven A, Passing Clouds, DuMaurier, Senior Service, Cadets...... and the list could go on..........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Roll your own...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. Yes, roll your own, break off the filter, those were my first thoughts. Thing is I'm on an errand. Directed my friend (who's over here from Europe) to the local tobacconist as I remembered it, turns out it's now a sweet shop, sign of the times.

Senior Service, hard to tell from the web if they're filterless, wiki says they also come with filters, maybe that's the only kind they sell in the UK.

Morrisons, that's one place we overlooked, thx.

grumpyscot, unfortunately I can't find most of that list, eg Capstan non-filter is discontinued afaik, Du Maurier is sold in Canada & Trinidad & Tobago but not in UK. I think we're seeing the end of an era. Or maybe it's already happened :).

The only plain supermarket brands seem to be park drive, player's navy, woodbine (maybe senior service), mainly in Asda & Tesco. Asda atm have park drive, the rest are all out. You can also get camel but only with filters. My friend will have to go shop to shop. On our last trip to the supermarket he was put off by the queues, and of course you can't scan the shelves because they're covered up! Anyway we'll see how we go. Cheers.
  • magikmaxmagikmax Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe try a google or yell search for your closest tobacconist? They might be able to give you more accurate advice.
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Players Navy Cut, Players No 3, Capstan, Capstan Full Strength, Players Weights, Woodbine, Park Drive, Craven A, Passing Clouds, DuMaurier, Senior Service, Cadets...... and the list could go on..........
    Now that WAS a cough maker and a half.